Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

what made you "choose rl"?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

About 5 years ago I moved from Leeds to Hertfordshire, and typical Yorkshire stubbornness made me decide to "keep my nothernness" and watch RL. It also helped that Leeds United were in the 3rd division and Rhinos were champions!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#82 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Dad taking me up to the Mount from a very early age, finally confirmed a life sentence to the sport by playing rl at that fine institution St John Fishers in Dewsbury where rl was the only subject of any importance.

#83 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Despite very few people my age being openly interested in RL in Newton-le-Willows when i was a kid, my dad used to take me to Wilderspool and I completely fell in love with the game. The passion, the hits, the noise, the smells, I Ioved it all.

I have been watching live Cricket (England and Lancashire), live football (Man City, Liverpool and Man Utd), RU (Scotland)  and none of these come close to gripping me like Rugby League.

Strangely the only thing that has even given me a slight buzz anything like RL was watching last year's olympics, Celtic v Barcelona at Parkhead, or sitting in the pub watching City win the Premier League last year - but these were very special occasions.

#84 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

I grew up in Nottingham, so another non-heartlander here. Also got to agree with the post about 1990s ashes series being a big draw, well it worked for me.

My Dad's Welsh, and so I grew watching the ru internationals on the telly. I knew that I was meant to like rugby, and that I "supported" Wales, but never really understood large parts of the game.

We never played rugby at school, and I’ve never been much good at teams sport. I've got no co-ordination for catching or kicking balls, and generally more enjoy outdoor activities type sports: hillwalking, cycling etc. One year my scout group did a night-hike, and so we all had to stay in and not do anything one Saturday afternoon ahead of the walk. By a bizarre chance, that afternoon was the first ashes test at Wembley in 1994. I liked it 'cos it was rugby, but only the 'fun to watch' bits of rugby, just so muck skill, speed and excitement Jonathan Davies'(who of course I knew from following Welsh ru) try was a major plus point, still watch it on the youtube sometimes. It turned out that a lot of the other scouts had watched the game too, so we were all talking about it during the hike, but maybe I had the bug a bit bigger than most.

I carried on just watching on telly, then moved to Newcastle for uni just as they were getting a SL team at Gateshead: great I though, can watch some live games now too. I was gutted when the club were moved away (I never actually got to watch Thunder Mk. I), but really liked the way the fans rallied round to create Thunder Mk.. II. I ended up watching them nearly every match (home and away) for my uni days, but then moved to Scotland for work so I’m back to just telly and the odd big match (Magic weekend, internationals etc). these days.

Hmmm was that how I chose RL, or my life story?

#85 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,858 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

:D

Nearly!

Trombone?
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users