Question for Leeds Fans

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WolvesFanInTheUSA

WolvesFanInTheUSA
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

Been watching Super League for 4 years now and always get a kick out of Leeds home games where the fans play drums and horns while singing their "fight" songs. However, there's a song I've heard before, but can't readily identify. Saxon used it in their song "Run For Your Lives".

I can't sing it here, but taking a quote from youtube it goes "AAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" :rolleyes:

Can a Leeds fan explain to this ignorant American what that song (or chant) is?

Thanks

#2 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'm guessing they're singing "we're the Leeds Rhino's"
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#3 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Can you invite that s*dding drummer to the States next time we play them!
:(
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

I can't sing it here, but taking a quote from youtube it goes "AAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" :rolleyes:

Thanks

Leeds fans have never been big on vocabulary.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Its quite hard to tell exactly which one you mean but i think if thats all thats in it they are shouting "Rhiiiiiiiiiinoooooooooooos" to the tune of the "Last Post".

Its a bugle call used by British infantry Regiments used often at military funerals and ceremonies.

Edited by Southstander13, 04 April 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#6 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Can anyone come up with a plan to stop Leeds fans singing that stupid song at the beginning of games?

It's embarrassing.

Wheres the poster who put all the words to "Marching on Together" on here a few weeks back? He was embarrassing!

The song isnt, and its now become a bit of tradition, stolen from Leeds United but adopted as a Leeds song.

#7 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

From your 'eeee' and 'oooo' im guessings its "we're leeeeeds rhinooooos, we're leeeeeds rhinooos"

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Been watching Super League for 4 years now and always get a kick out of Leeds home games where the fans play drums and horns while singing their "fight" songs. However, there's a song I've heard before, but can't readily identify. Saxon used it in their song "Run For Your Lives".

Thanks

Whereabouts in the States are you Wolvesfan?

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Can anyone come up with a plan to stop Leeds fans singing that stupid song at the beginning of games?

It's embarrassing.

So what.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#10 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thanks

Well I'm a born n bred Leeds loiner living in Philadelphia and my rough downtown leeds accent gets mistaken for a nice Irish brogue ,and when I tell em AM NOT SO AND SO IRISH!they come back with "oh Sorry oh well thats good my great grand father was scaddish"lol,but I think what you have heard the Southstand singing its"weer leeds rhinos weer leeds rhinos"and also the Leeds united anthem MARCHIN ON TOGETHER[.By the way welcome aboard
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#11 WolvesFanInTheUSA

WolvesFanInTheUSA
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Its quite hard to tell exactly which one you mean but i think if thats all thats in it they are shouting "Rhiiiiiiiiiinoooooooooooos" to the tune of the "Last Post".

Its a bugle call used by British infantry Regiments used often at military funerals and ceremonies.

Just listened to "Last Post" and that sounds about right. Been wondering that for years, especially after hearing that Saxon song back in 1985. Thanks for the inside tip :^) And thanks to everyone else!

To answer a previous question, I'm hiding here in Idaho. I know, crazy place for a rugby fan. Saw my first Super League game four years back (Hull vs cant recall exactly) and I liked it. Wanted to cheer for a team. My grans was born and raised in Leek, Staffordshire, so I chose the closest team and that was Warrington.

Am I mad or what? Who cares, lets cheer for rugby! :^)

#12 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

Wheres the poster who put all the words to "Marching on Together" on here a few weeks back? He was embarrassing!

The song isnt, and its now become a bit of tradition, stolen from Leeds United but adopted as a Leeds song.

He's not been on since he made a fool of himself and we got trounced
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#13 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Just listened to "Last Post" and that sounds about right. Been wondering that for years, especially after hearing that Saxon song back in 1985. Thanks for the inside tip :^) And thanks to everyone else!

To answer a previous question, I'm hiding here in Idaho. I know, crazy place for a rugby fan. Saw my first Super League game four years back (Hull vs cant recall exactly) and I liked it. Wanted to cheer for a team. My grans was born and raised in Leek, Staffordshire, so I chose the closest team and that was Warrington.

Am I mad or what? Who cares, lets cheer for rugby! :^)

What channel do you get Super league on?
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#14 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Well I'm a born n bred Leeds loiner living in Philadelphia

Do you ever go and watch the Fight or the Bulls play RL in Philly?

Edited by deluded pom?, 04 April 2013 - 05:06 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#15 WolvesFanInTheUSA

WolvesFanInTheUSA
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Fox Soccer Plus

Right now Fox Soccer & Fox Soccer Plus is chock full of Barclay Premier League.  That'll change here in the next few months...

#16 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Do you ever go and watch the Fight or the Bulls play RL in Philly?

Not seen Philadelphia fight yet,but one of the bars I go in the young bartender told me her boyfriend plays for fight and I gave he an old Rhinos shirt and Sinfields testimonial shirt for her boyfriend,and he had actually heard of Sinfield and wears both shirts for leisure
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Not seen Philadelphia fight yet,but one of the bars I go in the young bartender told me her boyfriend plays for fight and I gave he an old Rhinos shirt and Sinfields testimonial shirt for her boyfriend,and he had actually heard of Sinfield and wears both shirts for leisure

Get thee sen down.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Get thee sen down.

I keep meaning to,but it is quite a way from where I live
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

I keep meaning to,but it is quite a way from where I live

I bet it's nearer than me. Seriously, they only play four or five home games so you don't get too many chances to see them. 

Edited by deluded pom?, 07 April 2013 - 06:39 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thanks

Isn't the "tune" copied from that sung at MLB games (Cleveland?) ?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users