Up date on dog attack.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

As some of you will be aware. My daughter was attacked by two dogs in our local park who then turned on our pet dog and ripped him apart in front of her. This happened in August of last year.

Yesterday we finally went to court over it.

We turned up at 9.45 at Bradford crown court. The only trouble was there were no details for the case. The policeman turned up and he was telling us it was going to go ahead. It turned out there was a mix of the name of the woman whos dogs attack Lucinda.
They found all the paper work and we were shown into a room on our own. The victim support people kept coming in to the room to check on us. Our solicitor came in to have a word. At 12.40 the policeman came into the room and told us the case had been called to court. He then said it will probably run till 13.00 and then break for dinner. Then Lucinda will have to give her evidence from a video room as she is a minor.

At 13.10 our solicitor came into the room to tell us, there wasn't enough time to hear the case at Bradford. But it was going to be held in Leeds at 14.00 and we would have to make our own way there.

So we were shown out of the court and left to make our way. I dont know Bradford at all and had no idea where to get a taxi from. As it turned out a taxi ranks was near in the train station.

We got to Leeds with10mins to spare.

The only trouble was no one knew we were coming to Leeds. We were sent to 3 different rooms before someone knew any thing about it.

Finally things were sorted out and Lucinda gave her evidence at 16.00. This meant there wasn't enough time to hear all the evidence so me and Lucinda's mum have to go back to Leeds today to gives ours.

To say we are disgusted with the way this was organized is a understatement.

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

As some of you will be aware. My daughter was attacked by two dogs in our local park who then turned on our pet dog and ripped him apart in front of her. This happened in August of last year.

Yesterday we finally went to court over it.

We turned up at 9.45 at Bradford crown court. The only trouble was there were no details for the case. The policeman turned up and he was telling us it was going to go ahead. It turned out there was a mix of the name of the woman whos dogs attack Lucinda.
They found all the paper work and we were shown into a room on our own. The victim support people kept coming in to the room to check on us. Our solicitor came in to have a word. At 12.40 the policeman came into the room and told us the case had been called to court. He then said it will probably run till 13.00 and then break for dinner. Then Lucinda will have to give her evidence from a video room as she is a minor.

At 13.10 our solicitor came into the room to tell us, there wasn't enough time to hear the case at Bradford. But it was going to be held in Leeds at 14.00 and we would have to make our own way there.

So we were shown out of the court and left to make our way. I dont know Bradford at all and had no idea where to get a taxi from. As it turned out a taxi ranks was near in the train station.

We got to Leeds with10mins to spare.

The only trouble was no one knew we were coming to Leeds. We were sent to 3 different rooms before someone knew any thing about it.

Finally things were sorted out and Lucinda gave her evidence at 16.00. This meant there wasn't enough time to hear all the evidence so me and Lucinda's mum have to go back to Leeds today to gives ours.

To say we are disgusted with the way this was organized is a understatement.

for crying out loud jim, as if all this isn't upsetting enough for you and your family
you need to complain about this
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#3 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

That's disgraceful, what appalling treatment.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,611 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Ive never been to court, but you just kind of hope/expect/presume that this kind of thing doesn't happen to regular folk when they have to go. How embarrassing for our judicial system, and how stressful for you.

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

This all seems utterly ridiculous and deeply distressing for all concerned.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

I saw your message on fb Jim, a terrible event made only worse by all you've posted here. I hope it's sorted finally today, and you get the justice you want.

I'm at court as a witness on Monday - moved from a Dec date - Ok I've got the time off and I feel compelled to go, but I hope It's over on Monday. I am not the victim, and would only find it infuriating from a personal, work related position. To have to go through the trauma you have and then be messed around like this, and still not know when it will be over, must be horrible

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Absolutely disgraceful. I've heard in the past how badly the system treats victims. Will you contact Victim Support? see http://www.victimsup...ct-from-the-CJS and you certainly should complain to your MP.

#8 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Back from Leeds crown court.

Only Andrea was asked to give evidence. I was told i was to upset and angry and may not help the cause.

We are now waiting for the end of the case to found out what the outcome.

I will write a better write up later as i feel knackered and very wound up right now.

Thanks to one and all for your kind words.

Here is the story from the paper http://www.thetelegr...ack_flashbacks/

Edited by guess who, 04 April 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

The dog owner looks a classy bird

Hope all works out for you all

#10 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

I thought the British judicial system was revered around the world? On this showing, obviously not.

I hope you get the justice you are seeking.

#11 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

She was found not guilty of the dog biting Lucinda.
She then entered a guilty plea, for the dog being dangerously out of control. This was only one dog the brown one. This was excepted by the judge.

He then ruled she would have a conditional 12 month sentence. £500 fine to be paid at £10 a week, as she had her husband are both claiming benefits and have been for years. The brown dog is going to be put down.

She is getting the white dog back

I am so angry about this. Lucinda has always stated there was two dogs involved in the attack on Ted. She has also always stated that the white dog did the most damage. It seems as if the judge was excepting her version of events and Lucinda were completely ignored.
I asked the police in the lead up to the case. Why she was only being prosecuted for keeping one dog out of control. The answer i got was the lawyer is not in the office this week, we will get back to you.
No one did.

The compensation payment doesn't cover what it has cost us. The judge asked our lawyer what our costs were and she said she didn't have any idea. Yet we had filled out the forms and given them to the CPS. I only found this out because a reporter who was covering the case told us.

Lucinda was given her evidence by video. As she did not want to see the woman as she has had nightmares when she has seen her. Yet because of the mix up as to where the court case was going to be held we met her on 3 occasions. Lucinda was in bits shaking and crying before going to give her evidence. I didnt think she would be able to do it.

We had a police officer come into our house and lie to us. I put a formal complaint in about this. A police sergeant came to my house. I put my complaint to him. He went away to investigate. When i phoned him up about this he said, "i have sent a email to the officer concerned and as of yet he has not replied".

I never heard any more about this, despite being told by different policeman and civillain workers he would get back to me.

I fell like we have suffered twice. I am stunned the system has let us down so badly.

#12 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hi Jim, 

A complete shambles and no wonder you are fuming. Even complaining seems to have got nowhere. How you move on is difficult but you must do so for your family's benefit. 

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Dreadful. Simply dreadful.

#14 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,611 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

That's bloody awful mate. It took a lot of bravery from your daughter to give evidence, and you have been treated appallingly.

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

She was found not guilty of the dog biting Lucinda.
She then entered a guilty plea, for the dog being dangerously out of control. This was only one dog the brown one. This was excepted by the judge.

He then ruled she would have a conditional 12 month sentence. £500 fine to be paid at £10 a week, as she had her husband are both claiming benefits and have been for years. The brown dog is going to be put down.

She is getting the white dog back

I am so angry about this. Lucinda has always stated there was two dogs involved in the attack on Ted. She has also always stated that the white dog did the most damage. It seems as if the judge was excepting her version of events and Lucinda were completely ignored.
I asked the police in the lead up to the case. Why she was only being prosecuted for keeping one dog out of control. The answer i got was the lawyer is not in the office this week, we will get back to you.
No one did.

The compensation payment doesn't cover what it has cost us. The judge asked our lawyer what our costs were and she said she didn't have any idea. Yet we had filled out the forms and given them to the CPS. I only found this out because a reporter who was covering the case told us.

Lucinda was given her evidence by video. As she did not want to see the woman as she has had nightmares when she has seen her. Yet because of the mix up as to where the court case was going to be held we met her on 3 occasions. Lucinda was in bits shaking and crying before going to give her evidence. I didnt think she would be able to do it.

We had a police officer come into our house and lie to us. I put a formal complaint in about this. A police sergeant came to my house. I put my complaint to him. He went away to investigate. When i phoned him up about this he said, "i have sent a email to the officer concerned and as of yet he has not replied".

I never heard any more about this, despite being told by different policeman and civillain workers he would get back to me.

I fell like we have suffered twice. I am stunned the system has let us down so badly.

that is an utter disgrace JIm.

I feel for you and your family.

You must all be utterly exhausted as well as aggrievdand dispirited.

Keeping it local

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Pathetic,truly pathetic.A farce from beginning to end.I really do feel for you and your family.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

see http://www.yourright...the-courts.html

or the local press?

or CAB?

or your MP?

Edited by JohnM, 15 April 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#18 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hi John.

The press dont really want to get involved. I am going to go to my MP about it. Just getting a letter sorted to send to him and the chief constable.

#19 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hi John.

The press dont really want to get involved. I am going to go to my MP about it. Just getting a letter sorted to send to him and the chief constable.

Hi Jim,

Good luck with your MP! in the past, I have raised three issues of concern only to get fobbed off by government ministers. 

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi John.

What about your local councillor Jim?
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users