Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Today's results:

Bristol 40 - 6 Nottingham
Leicester 22 - 12 St Albans
Northampton 6 - 68 Sheffield Hallam

Good first half performance from the Sonics today. Nottingham seemed to take an age to get up to speed with the game. When they did, they squandered a few chances, dominated the first 20 of the second half, scored a solitary try and then saw a player sent off for foul and abusive language after he'd been sin-binned for a 'chicken wing' tackle. The Sonics then ran away with it a bit in the last 20.

Good to see Leicester getting their first win, and Sheffield Hallam roll on in ominous fashion - could be a decent game when we play them in Bristol in three weeks time.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#42 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

I went and had a look at the league table on the NCL site.  I see that after 4 weeks the top two teams are the teams that have dual reg agreements with other teams, and then the teams below that seem to be 'stand alone' teams.  As the press release about this league a few months ago said several other teams (I think one was Eastern Rhinos) were waiting to see how this season pans out before considering joining next season,  I was wondering if the success of the teams that had the extra option of calling on dual reg players might put teams off joining this league when they see how these dual reg teams seem (up to now) to be dominating the league. 

Edited by Jasper, 27 April 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#43 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

I went and had a look at the league table on the NCL site.  I see that after 4 weeks the top two teams are the teams that have dual reg agreements with other teams, and then the teams below that seem to be 'stand alone' teams.  As the press release about this league a few months ago said several other teams (I think one was Eastern Rhinos) were waiting to see how this season pans out before considering joining next season,  I was wondering if the success of the teams that had the extra option of calling on dual reg players might put teams off joining this league when they see how these dual reg teams seem (up to now) to be dominating the league.

Well, Nottingham have no 'dual reg' players and they've done well this season and will be in the mix at the end of the year.

For the record, the Sonics have fielded no more than four 'dual reg' players in any one game this year. Today two of those 'dual reg' players signed for the All Golds from the Sonics. The other two have All Golds first team experience, but are still students (I think). I'm also pretty sure at least one previously played 'Tier 4' with other South West clubs. One also broke his collarbone, so we won't be seeing him for a while, and sadly the All Golds won't be either.

Our man of the match today was one of the Filton RL Academy graduates, who is being monitored by the All Golds but hasn't as of yet signed for them. He's still only 18, I think (or maybe 19).
www.bristolsonics.com

#44 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

For the record, the Sonics have fielded no more than four 'dual reg' players in any one game this year.

Not having a go, just wondering if dual reg was worth it or not in this type of league or would it cause some clubs to consider not  joining?  If you have some clubs in areas where there is no higher rl club to share dual reg players, surely they are at a disadvantage over clubs that do, so why would they join a league where some clubs have the choice of 'more', (better?) players and they don't.  Hope that makes sense.  

#45 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Today's results:

Bristol 40 - 6 Nottingham
Leicester 22 - 12 St Albans
Northampton 6 - 68 Sheffield Hallam

Good first half performance from the Sonics today. Nottingham seemed to take an age to get up to speed with the game. When they did, they squandered a few chances, dominated the first 20 of the second half, scored a solitary try and then saw a player sent off for foul and abusive language after he'd been sin-binned for a 'chicken wing' tackle. The Sonics then ran away with it a bit in the last 20.

Good to see Leicester getting their first win, and Sheffield Hallam roll on in ominous fashion - could be a decent game when we play them in Bristol in three weeks time.

We did take an age to get into the game, not sure why really! Bristol played well, especially around their offloads. They had 3 or 4 standout players who were the difference.

Its easy to criticise refs when u lose, and we do have some awful officials in our league, but I thought the ref yesterday was excellent. We had him a couple of weeks ago as well and he was good then. Lets the game flow, uses his touch judges and works well with players.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#46 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

For the record, the Sonics have fielded no more than four 'dual reg' players in any one game this year. Today two of those 'dual reg' players signed for the All Golds from the Sonics. The other two have All Golds first team experience, but are still students (I think). I'm also pretty sure at least one previously played 'Tier 4' with other South West clubs. One also broke his collarbone, so we won't be seeing him for a while, and sadly the All Golds won't be either.

In terms of dual reg - If you are in favour that's fine, but I don't think saying that a couple came from Sonics in the first place is relevant. You wouldn't have a scheme that was 'dual reg only with ur club of origin'. Equally the fact that two might be students isn't relevant either.

Would be interested to know how many dual reg players Sheffield used in first couple of games vs last two which is when the scores have blown out.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#47 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,686 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

In terms of dual reg - If you are in favour that's fine, but I don't think saying that a couple came from Sonics in the first place is relevant. You wouldn't have a scheme that was 'dual reg only with ur club of origin'. Equally the fact that two might be students isn't relevant either.

Would be interested to know how many dual reg players Sheffield used in first couple of games vs last two which is when the scores have blown out.

Apparently Sheffield are adding BARLA players once their season comes to an end.

Edited by Marauder, 28 April 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#48 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Apparently Sheffield are adding BARLA players once their season comes to an end.

And why not? Any of the other clubs can do that, too. Obviously it's harder for clubs further south to do that, but many teams at Tier 3 (Conference League South) and Tier 4 (regional leagues) have players with previous BARLA experience. People move around the country over the time these days for work, study etc so it's no big thing.

As far as I can tell, the make up of the Sheffield-Hallam side hasn't changed much in recent weeks, it's just that they're playing better. The signs were always there - I mean they scored lots of points against us (40) and Leicester (around the same) before their games against St Albans and Northampton, they've just tightened up their defence. I think there are three players who have first team experience with the Eagles - two who played in pre-season friendlies, and another who was a regular a couple of years back but has been out of favour since (Corey Hanson). He's been playing for the Hallam Uni side as well, as he studies there.

I was chatting to someone from another club about dual reg yesterday (not Nottingham, as it happens) and he said: "What's the big deal? If it makes the standard of the league better, I'm all for it. I'd rather have tougher games every week."

I have to admit I personally had doubts about whether it would work for the Sonics when we were discussing the parthership offer from the All Golds. I did worry that it would impact on players who have been with us for years and work hard in training - if I was losing my place to a player sent down for a week or two by Brad Hepi, I would be annoyed. So far, it's worked well, and our players seem to have raised their games. We improved a lot in the second half of last season and we seem to have continued to improve, which I think we would have done regardless of whether we had a dual reg deal or not. In fact, I'd argue our best players this year have been those who have nothing to do with the All Golds - young forwards (in particular) who did well last year but have continued to get stronger thanks to a winter's strength and conditioning work.

Odsal Outlaw also mentioned that "you couldn't have a system where players only dual reg with their club of origin". I'd actually expect that to be seriously looked at in future - it may be how the RFL 'sweetens' any deal with the NCL. I'm not saying it will happen, or even that the NCL clubs would be open to it, but it would certainly make some sense - if players aren't getting games at their pro clubs, why not let them go back to their amateur club? Strengthens the amateur club, sees players returning to their communities, stops this drain of players to academies and pro squads who don't get enough game time.
www.bristolsonics.com

#49 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,686 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

And why not? Any of the other clubs can do that, too. Obviously it's harder for clubs further south to do that, but many teams at Tier 3 (Conference League South) and Tier 4 (regional leagues) have players with previous BARLA experience. People move around the country over the time these days for work, study etc so it's no big thing.

As far as I can tell, the make up of the Sheffield-Hallam side hasn't changed much in recent weeks, it's just that they're playing better. The signs were always there - I mean they scored lots of points against us (40) and Leicester (around the same) before their games against St Albans and Northampton, they've just tightened up their defence. I think there are three players who have first team experience with the Eagles - two who played in pre-season friendlies, and another who was a regular a couple of years back but has been out of favour since (Corey Hanson). He's been playing for the Hallam Uni side as well, as he studies there.

I was chatting to someone from another club about dual reg yesterday (not Nottingham, as it happens) and he said: "What's the big deal? If it makes the standard of the league better, I'm all for it. I'd rather have tougher games every week."

I have to admit I personally had doubts about whether it would work for the Sonics when we were discussing the parthership offer from the All Golds. I did worry that it would impact on players who have been with us for years and work hard in training - if I was losing my place to a player sent down for a week or two by Brad Hepi, I would be annoyed. So far, it's worked well, and our players seem to have raised their games. We improved a lot in the second half of last season and we seem to have continued to improve, which I think we would have done regardless of whether we had a dual reg deal or not. In fact, I'd argue our best players this year have been those who have nothing to do with the All Golds - young forwards (in particular) who did well last year but have continued to get stronger thanks to a winter's strength and conditioning work.

Odsal Outlaw also mentioned that "you couldn't have a system where players only dual reg with their club of origin". I'd actually expect that to be seriously looked at in future - it may be how the RFL 'sweetens' any deal with the NCL. I'm not saying it will happen, or even that the NCL clubs would be open to it, but it would certainly make some sense - if players aren't getting games at their pro clubs, why not let them go back to their amateur club? Strengthens the amateur club, sees players returning to their communities, stops this drain of players to academies and pro squads who don't get enough game time.

The system in theory is good but it doesn't allow for the mardy human nature, we gain strength in our second team this year because we didn't play the first as a second team when they didn't have a game.

#50 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

If the eagles add some good barla players to their side they'll walk this league. Easily the best side the demons have played in years and that's counting widnes 21's, they're a proper mini pro outfit schooled well in RL.

Personally I'm indifferent to the duel reg issue. i like the raising of the standards but also believe that this is too low a level for champ one players right now. Also 4 champ one players at this level is worth roughly 30 points to a team in this division imo. The eagles have to play somewhere so I've no gripe with them but in reality their players would also develop better themselves if they we're playing in NCL 2, unfortunately there is no chance of promotion.

Ironically talking about BARLA I believe the Demons could be joining in the near future.

#51 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,686 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

If the eagles add some good barla players to their side they'll walk this league. Easily the best side the demons have played in years and that's counting widnes 21's, they're a proper mini pro outfit schooled well in RL.

Personally I'm indifferent to the duel reg issue. i like the raising of the standards but also believe that this is too low a level for champ one players right now. Also 4 champ one players at this level is worth roughly 30 points to a team in this division imo. The eagles have to play somewhere so I've no gripe with them but in reality their players would also develop better themselves if they we're playing in NCL 2, unfortunately there is no chance of promotion.

Ironically talking about BARLA I believe the Demons could be joining in the near future.

The three with Moorends connections who did play would play in the NCL with no problem and have all played at academy, service area standard (I don't mean just making the numbers up either) in the past, Tom Holt, Shaun Roberts and Alex Palmer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users