TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

RIP Hull KR?

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#281 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks very much for this.

Did Mr. Gartland speculate on that propose merger?

i.e. did he favour this?

Dont know if he favoured it or not, but it seems like it was being discussed at one staged prior to the mover to summer. This lead to protests at Thrum Hall and a coffin with RIP Halifax RLFC being carried on to the pitch, again if i recall correctly.

#282 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Dont know if he favoured it or not, but it seems like it was being discussed at one staged prior to the mover to summer. This lead to protests at Thrum Hall and a coffin with RIP Halifax RLFC being carried on to the pitch, again if i recall correctly.

Thanks.

I always had it in my mind Halifax and Bradford explored a merger.

How do you think it would have gone???

Hunslet were never suggested for a Leeds merger so I didn't get to do the sit down on the pitch or coffin Mularkey.

We didn't merge but we got the coffin anyway!!!

#283 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Thanks.

I always had it in my mind Halifax and Bradford explored a merger.

How do you think it would have gone???

Hunslet were never suggested for a Leeds merger so I didn't get to do the sit down on the pitch or coffin Mularkey.

We didn't merge but we got the coffin anyway!!!

It would have been the first merger of its type in modern British rugby league where, both teams merging were fairly equal in standing. If they played in Halifax, i might have gone to watch, as i am sure if the merged side played in Bradford, more Bradford fans would have supported it. At the time Fax had finished 2nd/3rd in the last winter league, so the team itself would have been much more competitive i would have thought. It would be hard to say, if it would have been well supported. Peter Deakin was the key to the increased crowds at Bradford, so if he was invloved i am sure the crowds would have shown up, regardless of where they had based the team.

I still think, the "Halifax Blue Bulls", playing at the Shay could be a success.

Edited by a.n Other, 22 April 2013 - 10:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users