Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

RIP Hull KR?

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#21 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Exactly. Fans building grounds eg Hilton Park, fans watching 'big' games at opposing clubs as neutrals eg Wigan v Manly.

My example happened two years ago. Plenty of fans still attend games at opposing clubs, I've personally been many Super League games not involving Widnes and I'm nowhere near one of the most diehard fans in RL.

Just out of interest how old were you in 1964?

#22 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Exactly. Fans building grounds eg Hilton Park, fans watching 'big' games at opposing clubs as neutrals eg Wigan v Manly.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#23 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

That's easy for you to say.

rldfsignature.jpg

#24 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Halifax lending Huddersfield their first kit etc

It was Castleford. Point remains.

"The grass is greener..."
Posted Image

#25 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

This is worrying but not surprising. It must be exasperating for Hudgell as he's turned Rovers into an established SL outfit that has had the most success of the Hull derbies in recent years but still can't attract self sustaining crowds. Across the river, the team that he loves to hate still get 5 figure gates in spite of been garbage over the last few years. Also, he's striving to try and develop Craven Park into a decent ground but must worry about whether they'll ever fill it regularly. The Larvin fiasco must have been close to being the last straw.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#26 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

Quite why the only pleasure some 'supporters' of the game get,is from the difficulties of other Clubs,is quite beyond me.

And who's doing that ?

Edited by westhuller, 05 April 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#27 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

Becuase the RFL have created the divide by the Licensing criterea, I'm a fax fan and to be honest i was one of those that hoped Bradford went to the wall in the hope they would allow a championship team in, I shouldn't have felt this was and didn't before licensing, but since, i and a lot of other championship fans feel ...........F em mentality, I am sure some SL fans feel the same about the championship clubs, CAS etc who are in the ###### come next licence, if indeed they still have licensing. It has been turned into a case of, i'm glad its them, not us.

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,611 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yep, it was the RL family that kept Bramley, Hunslet, Runcorn, Chorley etc afloat after all.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Nah, it was no different before licensing - now you've at least got something to blame, before licensing a Fax fan would have taken delight in Bradfords demise and blamed it on the Bulls taking all the casual fans from the Fax area

People take delight in this sort of thing because the game is still far too parochial and tribal

#30 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

The sad thing is that Hull KR have actually done really well over the years. As a Widnes fan, KR always used to average less than us in the Championship but get comfortably more than us in Super League. I think 10,000 is unrealistic especially at Craven park.

The game is really reaching a crossroads at the top level I think. It does appear that crowds have taken a backwards step this year and a number of the money men appear reluctant to fund the difference anymore. Hull KR, Huddersfield, London, Salford and Widnes are 5 clubs with backers that cannot sustain their current support levels and we are seeing the money men state their disappointment in crowds, appealing to fans to support the clubs. There are no candidates below Super League that could do a better job than these clubs crowds wise. 

I think we'll see big changes in the next couple of years, certainly a reduction in the number of clubs and possibly even a move to 2 leagues of 10. We cannot seem to sustain 14 at the best of times, never mind during a recession. 

#31 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Just paper talk off the back of Hudgell's statement about the Wigan defeat. Indeed, it will breed concern throughout the Rovers' support.

#32 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

The sad thing is that Hull KR have actually done really well over the years. As a Widnes fan, KR always used to average less than us in the Championship but get comfortably more than us in Super League. I think 10,000 is unrealistic especially at Craven park.

The game is really reaching a crossroads at the top level I think. It does appear that crowds have taken a backwards step this year and a number of the money men appear reluctant to fund the difference anymore. Hull KR, Huddersfield, London, Salford and Widnes are 5 clubs with backers that cannot sustain their current support levels and we are seeing the money men state their disappointment in crowds, appealing to fans to support the clubs. There are no candidates below Super League that could do a better job than these clubs crowds wise.

I think we'll see big changes in the next couple of years, certainly a reduction in the number of clubs and possibly even a move to 2 leagues of 10. We cannot seem to sustain 14 at the best of times, never mind during a recession.

Craven Park was a ###### ground when they were in the second division but they have done quite a lot of refurbishment including an extension of the covered terraced stand as well as a new covered stand at one end, which is not yet finished. This is a credit to them as other SL clubs have done little or naff all and have poor stadia.

I think 10k at Craven park is achieveable when the work is complete esp if they can sort the other end out. Hull KR also have one of the biggest away followings in SL as do Hull.

#33 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I agree. When you see a Huddersfield side doing well and getting very low crowds even when ticket prices are so low it is a worry. Ultimately market forces will decide the future but right now I seriously worry about the future of the game. What will it take to get big crowds at the likes of salford and london? I used to think that a winning team would do the trick but now I'm not sure that even that would work. Perhaps we are all blinkered and this great game is actually boring to the masses?

#34 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Isn't that the new RL culture created by the RFL? Advancement at someone else demise, hence the demise is sought after and celebrated

I don't understand. . . Oh hang on you're talking about promotion and relegation. Very strange.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#35 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

I agree. When you see a Huddersfield side doing well and getting very low crowds even when ticket prices are so low it is a worry. Ultimately market forces will decide the future but right now I seriously worry about the future of the game. What will it take to get big crowds at the likes of salford and london? I used to think that a winning team would do the trick but now I'm not sure that even that would work. Perhaps we are all blinkered and this great game is actually boring to the masses?

Neither Salford or London are winning though, and London have other problems (playing in the most ridiculous area, poorly ran etc).

Huddersfield are winning though and their support is a concern. Their poor away support suggests the new fans they have picked up are not very tribal. I think this the decline of tribalism is not just an issue at Huddersfield either. Have we over egged the "family game" and "razzamatazz"?

#36 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

No.

#37 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Huddersfields support had been growing year on year, this year is without a doubt a problem due to the wider economy - people just have to make cutbacks and when you look out the window at snow, rain and wind on a Sunday afternoon it's an easy choice

As for travelling support its been noticably lower for all clubs visiting the John Smiths Stadium, Widnes brought twice as many last season for example - and despite people saying "you can't rely on away support", that's where the weekly cash comes from, and the Likes of Wigan and Leeds wouldn't get 20K crowds without Saints and Bradford bringing so many fans with them would they?

Ironically more Giants fans seem to be going to away games in recent years

Hopefully with the weather turning we may just see an upswing in crowds

#38 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Huddersfields support had been growing year on year, this year is without a doubt a problem due to the wider economy - people just have to make cutbacks and when you look out the window at snow, rain and wind on a Sunday afternoon it's an easy choice

As for travelling support its been noticably lower for all clubs visiting the John Smiths Stadium, Widnes brought twice as many last season for example - and despite people saying "you can't rely on away support", that's where the weekly cash comes from, and the Likes of Wigan and Leeds wouldn't get 20K crowds without Saints and Bradford bringing so many fans with them would they?

Ironically more Giants fans seem to be going to away games in recent years

Hopefully with the weather turning we may just see an upswing in crowds

I think more should be done to encourage away support as this makes for a better atmosphere, which in turn will pull in more home fans.

I have noticed at London that the number of travelling supporters has declined massively over the last 10 years. In turn this has lead to a poorer atmosphere. It was always a good thing to see huge swathes of away support

#39 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

A successful side and some decent marketing would probably be enough to see Salford safe, but I'm of the opinion that the London 'brand' is now terminally damaged.

#40 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,323 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

A successful side and some decent marketing would probably be enough to see Salford safe, but I'm of the opinion that the London 'brand' is now terminally damaged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users