Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

RIP Hull KR?

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#41 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

A successful side and some decent marketing would probably be enough to see Salford safe, but I'm of the opinion that the London 'brand' is now terminally damaged.

#42 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

In my very "umble" opinion people should realise that the SKY contract demands a professional League but SKY won't pay for it as it is. They pay monies towards a professional league but the limited amount of clubs equipped to have a go at being professional still can't all pay top wages with those monies, because the lower clubs attendances plus the SKY subsidy won't pay up to the cap.

Sometimes rich club owners make the difference up, sometimes they get fed up and stop. It's a darn mess and SKY are very much the villains. They want a decent product for their sports channel and they don't pay enough.

I'm sure Hull would like HKR to eff off and leave them with the additional players they need (Dobson, Welham etc) to put a decent team out and compete. I'm sure Wakefield would love it if Cas collapsed and Nahaboo did not come up with the money so they too can get all the players and crowds to compete.

Equally Davey is moaning about crowds. I'm sure he'd do OK if Town and Bulls both disintegrated.

In 1973 Dewsbury were RFL Champions and crowds didn't quadruple, so Mick Lumb had a go at the good people of Dewsbury. It was a stupidity chairmen repeat today. The very idea that people "should" respond to the success of a small club in a regional game in their thousands is delusion. Even mega success Leeds crowds flatline.

I'm sure if some rich guy tries to rejuvinate Hunslet and the famous Leeds Derby, Hetherington will roll his eyes out of his sockets.

We debated to a general conclusion how without SKY RL would die or only exist as a tiny minority sport. Even with SKY it's heading that way, but I would guess 2015 will be a watershed for the game when it will need to realise it has to take into account what Maurice Lyndsay said (cue small minded prejudices).....

#43 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Neither Salford or London are winning though, and London have other problems (playing in the most ridiculous area, poorly ran etc).

Huddersfield are winning though and their support is a concern. Their poor away support suggests the new fans they have picked up are not very tribal. I think this the decline of tribalism is not just an issue at Huddersfield either. Have we over egged the "family game" and "razzamatazz"?

I think the problem at Huddersfield is years of under achievement.  I saw Huddersfield win the Championship at Odsal in 1962 - they've won nothing since.  They've had some success lately but IMO it will take years to build up a following again.  I'd guess in the intervening period between 1962 and now thousands of prospective Fartowners have decamped to Bradford (when they were in their pomp at least) and Leeds.  I hope Ken Davey keeps persevering with them  after all Huddersfield is a very large town with a very large catchment area - especially to the west - in the Colne Valley.

Neither Salford or London are winning though, and London have other problems (playing in the most ridiculous area, poorly ran etc).

Huddersfield are winning though and their support is a concern. Their poor away support suggests the new fans they have picked up are not very tribal. I think this the decline of tribalism is not just an issue at Huddersfield either. Have we over egged the "family game" and "razzamatazz"?

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#44 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

I think the problem at Huddersfield is years of under achievement. I saw Huddersfield win the Championship at Odsal in 1962 - they've won nothing since. They've had some success lately but IMO it will take years to build up a following again. I'd guess in the intervening period between 1962 and now thousands of prospective Fartowners have decamped to Bradford (when they were in their pomp at least) and Leeds. I hope Ken Davey keeps persevering with them after all Huddersfield is a very large town with a very large catchment area - especially to the west - in the Colne Valley.

Fair comment. If, as Ant says, the away support is starting to pick up, then maybe the tribalism is returning

#45 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

As you might also imagine, a lot of casual fans are just waiting to see if the wheels fall off again

If we get to May still in reasonable form it might make a big difference.

Equally frustratingly is that in recent seasons when we have made a big push to bring in fans for a big game the team chooses that moment to implode so those casual fans who made the effort to come down go away dissapointed and thinking "same as ever"

Simply we need a pot.

#46 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

http://www.thisishul...redirected=true

#47 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

see post below - I seem to have messed up somehow

Edited by Trojan, 07 April 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#48 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

In my very "umble" opinion people should realise that the SKY contract demands a professional League but SKY won't pay for it as it is. They pay monies towards a professional league but the limited amount of clubs equipped to have a go at being professional still can't all pay top wages with those monies, because the lower clubs attendances plus the SKY subsidy won't pay up to the cap.

Sometimes rich club owners make the difference up, sometimes they get fed up and stop. It's a darn mess and SKY are very much the villains. They want a decent product for their sports channel and they don't pay enough.

I'm sure Hull would like HKR to eff off and leave them with the additional players they need (Dobson, Welham etc) to put a decent team out and compete. I'm sure Wakefield would love it if Cas collapsed and Nahaboo did not come up with the money so they too can get all the players and crowds to compete.

Equally Davey is moaning about crowds. I'm sure he'd do OK if Town and Bulls both disintegrated.

In 1973 Dewsbury were RFL Champions and crowds didn't quadruple, so Mick Lumb had a go at the good people of Dewsbury. It was a stupidity chairmen repeat today. The very idea that people "should" respond to the success of a small club in a regional game in their thousands is delusion. Even mega success Leeds crowds flatline.

I'm sure if some rich guy tries to rejuvinate Hunslet and the famous Leeds Derby, Hetherington will roll his eyes out of his sockets.

We debated to a general conclusion how without SKY RL would die or only exist as a tiny minority sport. Even with SKY it's heading that way, but I would guess 2015 will be a watershed for the game when it will need to realise it has to take into account what Maurice Lyndsay said (cue small minded prejudices).....

As you say RL is a minority sport. Worse it's a minority version of a minority sport.  Support on a large scale for Rugby of either code in the UK is patchy. There are areas where Rugby is fairly strong - the East Midlands, the West of England, South Wales and the area that dare not speak its name on here where our version is strong.  And changing this is virtually impossible. You only have to look at our own sport.  7K turn out at Wakey - I remember when you'd see supporters club buses at Belle Vue from Brierley, Ryhill, Mapplewell Green, with the decline of Wakey in the seventies this support dwindled.  And game  never took off in Barnsley at pro level.  Same in Humberside/North Lincs.  The inhabitants of Scunny and Grimsby must be very aware of RL - it's mentioned on Radio Humberside and their version of Look North all the time - but presumably there's never been any demand for a pro side.  In Lancashire, Wigan attract mega support,  a lot of it from Chorley I suppose, but Preston and Blackburn - just up the road - forget it.  I bet the Union boys would say the same.  Leicester and Northampton are very strong - but there's no big team at all east of them - or west of them until you reach Worcester.  It's a difficult sell.  I've always been an advocate of international success as the key to both growth in support in our home areas and possible expansion.  If we have a successful World Cup - not necessarily winning it (ok that would be favourite) but getting to the final and putting up a good show, i reckon something could be built on the back of that.  I urge the SL clubs to give international football some priority this year for their own and more importantly the games' long term interests.

#49 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Huddersfields problem is, it is not a rugby town and never will be really, unless a massive amount of money and resources are thrown in at grassroots level. The likes of Wigan, St.Helens, Leeds, Hull , Hull KR, Castleford even Halifax, Featherstone are fortunate in a way to have such a strong base to work from and can work with schools and a number of important people who value what Rugby League does and can achieve for the area. Throwing away tickets like Huddersfield and Bradford have done, has not really worked and is just a cheap publicity stunt and cheapens the product for me. Whilst Huddersfield (and others)have done some schools and grassroots work, its not really been done enough, especially when based in a weak rugby area. I do feel ALL clubs, not just Huddersfield, concentrate way too much on the first team and forget or dont place enough importance on Spending more money on marketing and promotion. Many people for some strange reason would rather follow lower level football, whether it be Huddersfield or Leeds than take in Rugby League. But have clubs really properly marketted themselves and games as big need to be seen at events? Most clubs just seem to be happy to the minimum and preach to the converted via Facebook, Twitter etc. But what do these clubs do exactly to bring them and the game to new people? Clubs are struggling because they have done the bare minimum in many cases. The clubs have only themselves to blame often for the lower crowds than what they want

#50 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

You're talking tosh

#51 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Huddersfields problem is, it is not a rugby town and never will be really, unless a massive amount of money and resources are thrown in at grassroots level. Many people for some strange reason would rather follow lower level football, whether it be Huddersfield or Leeds than take in Rugby League.

Huddersfield is a Rugby league town as much as Hull, Leeds, Wigan, Bradford etc. of course it is with a long long history and a base of amateur teams.

Huddersfield suffer from competition from the soccer and Huddersfield Town are a big football outfit with a big history. Leeds suffer from competition from United.

Wigan from Athletic, Bradford from City, Hull/HKR from City etc etc. Athletic are a premier club, City have been such, Leeds United are a big club with a big history.

Sure Huddersfield is primarily a soccer town but so is Leeds and so is Bradford......

As for "lower league" soccer, it's still a bigger game than league even into the second division. Nothing strange about why soccer clubs get big crowds, it has a massive amateur base.

Edited by The Parksider, 07 April 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#52 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

. Whilst Huddersfield (and others)have done some schools and grassroots work, its not really been done enough, especially when based in a weak rugby area. I do feel ALL clubs, not just Huddersfield, concentrate way too much on the first team and forget or dont place enough importance on Spending more money on marketing and promotion. Many people for some strange reason would rather follow lower level football, whether it be Huddersfield or Leeds than take in Rugby League. But have clubs really properly marketted themselves and games as big need to be seen at events? Most clubs just seem to be happy to the minimum and preach to the converted via Facebook, Twitter etc. But what do these clubs do exactly to bring them and the game to new people? Clubs are struggling because they have done the bare minimum in many cases. The clubs have only themselves to blame often for the lower crowds than what they want

All too often completely clueless management seem to think that by spending money to create a winning team will result in increased attendances , well it did , 30 years ago , now things are different , new idea's have to be tried , but convincing them to put aside a dedicated marketing budget is nigh on impossible

#53 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Huddersfield is a Rugby league town as much as Hull, Leeds, Wigan, Bradford etc. of course it is with a long long history and a base of amateur teams.

Huddersfield suffer from competition from the soccer and Huddersfield Town are a big football outfit with a big history. Leeds suffer from competition from United.

Wigan from Athletic, Bradford from City, Hull/HKR from City etc etc. Athletic are a premier club, City have been such, Leeds United are a big club with a big history.

Sure Huddersfield is primarily a soccer town but so is Leeds and so is Bradford......

As for "lower league" soccer, it's still a bigger game than league even into the second division. Nothing strange about why soccer clubs get big crowds, it has a massive amateur base.

Both Huddersfield and Bradford are not strong Rugby areas. Yes they have old pro clubs there, but the game has not really had a strong base there for decades, if at all. Leeds, Hull , Wigan whilst having Big football teams or ones that have been in the top division, have and usually have had a strong amateur club scene in the area. Huddersfield for example, does not have that strong an amateur scene and never has had compared to other areas. Halifax, Oldham and Leigh have a much stronger amateur scene and are more known as rugby areas. When you look at amateur clubs like Siddal, King Cross Park, Elland in Halifax. Queens, East Leeds, Stanningley in Leeds. St Pats, St Judes etc in Wigan, Leigh East & Leigh Miners and the strength and success they have, no Huddersfield team matches that really. Every club suffers from soccer, but Huddersfield Town are hardly a big team and its been decades since they have mixed it with the top teams. Huddersfield face a much tougher job to get the fans in, than places with a stronger amateur scene and where Rugby has a stronger attraction to many of the people in places like Hull, Wigan, St.Helens, Leeds.

#54 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

Huddersfield not a rugby town? The game was born there. Huddersfield teams dominated RL up to the early sixties, then the malaise that infected all RL  took hold at Fartown.  They had fifty years of failure and this is reflected in their fan base today. A few more years of reasonable perfomances and one or two successes will change that. (look at Warrington)  Wigan is a soccer town, but it's not really Wigan Athletic who are the problem, it's Liverpool. Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, Man U and Man C. Among soccer supporters in Wigan following Athletic is a minority pursuit - again because of their only having been in the league for about 30 years. I think Leeds have taken excellent advantage of Leeds U's doldrums to claw back some of their lost support. Hopefully it will continue into the future. I can remember the pre Revie days when Leeds U were just another struggling 2nd Division side, and Hunslet drew good crowds to Parkside, were Championship & Challange Cup finalists.  IMO it's Hunslet who were the real sufferers from the rise of Leeds U. in the sixties and seventies  and they've never recovered.

Both Huddersfield and Bradford are not strong Rugby areas. Yes they have old pro clubs there, but the game has not really had a strong base there for decades, if at all. Leeds, Hull , Wigan whilst having Big football teams or ones that have been in the top division, have and usually have had a strong amateur club scene in the area. Huddersfield for example, does not have that strong an amateur scene and never has had compared to other areas. Halifax, Oldham and Leigh have a much stronger amateur scene and are more known as rugby areas. When you look at amateur clubs like Siddal, King Cross Park, Elland in Halifax. Queens, East Leeds, Stanningley in Leeds. St Pats, St Judes etc in Wigan, Leigh East & Leigh Miners and the strength and success they have, no Huddersfield team matches that really. Every club suffers from soccer, but Huddersfield Town are hardly a big team and its been decades since they have mixed it with the top teams. Huddersfield face a much tougher job to get the fans in, than places with a stronger amateur scene and where Rugby has a stronger attraction to many of the people in places like Hull, Wigan, St.Helens, Leeds.

#55 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

Both Huddersfield and Bradford are not strong Rugby areas. Yes they have old pro clubs there, but the game has not really had a strong base there for decades, if at all. Leeds, Hull , Wigan whilst having Big football teams or ones that have been in the top division, have and usually have had a strong amateur club scene in the area. Huddersfield for example, does not have that strong an amateur scene and never has had compared to other areas. Halifax, Oldham and Leigh have a much stronger amateur scene and are more known as rugby areas.

You know your amateur stuff so I'm not going to argue with you.

But in the SL club top 25 players I can find 7 Huddersfield born lads, 7 Bradford born lads and 4 Halifax lads.

None of these clubs generate enough local professionals or crowds to compete as top SL clubs so it's back to the old Mo Lyndsay problem. Too many clubs in too small an area.

If ever only one club in the area were to be allowed an SL place it'd be the one at Odsal IMHO

#56 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hull Kingston Rovers chairman Neil Hudgell is to step down at Craven Park at the end of the season.

In the wake of his side's record 84-6 Easter defeat by Super League leaders Wigan, Hudgell no longer believes that the current board have the resources to take Rovers to the next step.

"The penny's dropped," Hudgell told BBC Radio Humberside. "I can't achieve the ambition I want for the club.

"Why should we lump in effectively half a million a year just to stand still?"

“When we took over, our ambition was to make the club successful and win trophies, to make it the same as it was in the mid-1980s when we were the most successful club in the British game.. If I can't do that then it's time to walk away”

Hudgell insists that this season will be his last after nine years' service to the club.

"Success to other people might be to get into Super League, or just survive in Super League and try to make the play-offs.

"But, when we took over, our ambition was to make the club successful and win trophies, to make it the same as it was in the mid-1980s when we were the most successful club in the British game.

"After nine years, if I can't do that then it's time to walk away. All our money does is service debt.

"There's been a feeling and realisation over the last couple of years that we were starting to hit a bit of a glass ceiling.

"If you compare ourselves with the really top clubs, there's a gulf in facilities and resources and fan base.

So there you have it, he doesn't feel the club have adequate resources. OK another rich man can keep it going by making up the resource shortfall with money, but Super League clubs need more than propping up.

Same situation at Castleford, and Ken Davey also lamenting his position of having to prop up Fartown, and Widnes are no different.

So it's a crucial point in the history of our great game

#57 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

I don't seem able to quote with replies but Maximus said "The wealthy benefactor model is never going to be sustainable". I disagree with this. How do we think small market teams in the US survive and even prosper? (San Antonio Spurs, Green Bay Packers etc.) The secret is making the SL versions more attractive to people like Hudgell. He's disgruntled, Davy's disgruntled, O'Connor's disgruntled. There’s a trend here and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out what’s wrong. We’re asking these benefactors to over-spend on their teams in light of past financial woes and hierarchical hurdles not of their making. I doubt any of them expected it to be easy but they’re finding out the hard way that it’s much more of an uphill task than they thought. And I sympathise with them, whilst also thinking the game would be making a grave mistake in letting their like walk away.

We have a new benefactor in the game in the form of Dr Koukash and I’d be very interested in his views on the 3 clubs I’ve mentioned. My guess would be that despite his desire to acquire an SL team (any SL team – he had no links with Salford) he would have been less enamoured with those 3 than Salford as with Salford he had a shiny new stadium and a huge latent fanbase to go after. It will be easier to succeed there than for Hudgell, Davy or O’Connor at their clubs. The RFL can sanction the sale of a club like Salford and then just let the owner get on with it. If you succeed, well done. If not, too bad. Someone else will likely come along thinking they can do better. The same is obviously true of clubs like Leeds, St Helens & Wigan. I think prospective owners of teams like Hull KR, Hudds and Widnes need more of a carrot and more return on their investment personally. The "small market dividend" I’ve hinted at numerous times or some other direct funding or leveling measure to help their own money go further. It’s too much of a labour of love taking on these heartland clubs with limited (but nonetheless decent) latent fanbases. Hudgell has spent a lot of cash on youth development at HKR. What’s the upshot? Our best kid was cherry-picked (pun intended) by the ruling elite Wigan with ease and he didn’t even get to sit down with him and offer him terms. He’s spent money on a new stand. What’s happened? The council and developer have let him down, costing him yet more money. He’s funded a full cap spend for about 6 years to the tune of £3 million (I believe) to himself. What’s happened? He’s found that it takes more than that to get amongst the incumbent elite and that attracting the best players in large numbers to an unfashionable club is a mighty hurdle to overcome. All of these factors add up. Hudgell is no different from Hetherington, McManus, Lenagan et al, he just happens to have backed the wrong pony, whilst they’ve taken over - through no skill on their part whatsoever - established thoroughbreds. The question is whether that’s his fault or rather something more indicative of the climate we expect these moderate clubs coming out of decades of decay and under-funding to now exist and compete in. My view personally is that it’s the latter. You can pick 13 existing clubs from an old P&R system with bedded-in hierarchies, add the expansion Catalan, pull up the drawbridge and call your league "Super League" but it doesn’t mean you instantly have 14 healthy clubs. Old problems remain. Why should Hudgell, Davy & O’Connor uniquely foot the bill for these old problems? Are they not the wider game’s responsibility?

There are 6 or 7 clubs in SL that are and always will be very attractive to investors (you can include London in this group) but then at least as many that no sensible businessman/woman would invest in given current conditions, either to make a return or (like Dr K) to attempt to win trophies. But that isn’t to say we can’t attract their investment. We can change the conditions to make those clubs as attractive to invest in as the ruling elite sides and in Hudgell’s own words (with regard to London’s development) "make no apologies for doing so". If this is some extra cash from a combined pool creamed off the big boys, so be it.

Hudgell isn’t perfect and I don’t agree with everything he says but he’s as valuable to our sport as Koukash, Hetherington, McManus, Lenagan and the rest and every lost benefactor is a hammer blow for our elite league. If he does make good on his threat to bail this has to be a huge wake-up call for Super League, because there is no glut of money men lining up to to invest in HKR, Hudds and Widnes and ultimately we need these guys on board for these teams - and thus the league as a whole - to be healthy.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 08 April 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#58 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

As for Hudgell's statement - he's made this kind of comment before, of course, and it could be a clever way to make the RFL sit up and take notice of what I'm saying above. If he could combine his view with the likes of Davy & O'Connor it would certainly be a very powerful message and one that neither the RFL nor the more powerful sides' owners could ignore or discredit.

The small market sides have more power than they think but need a conjoined approach.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 08 April 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#59 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

I don't seem able to quote with replies but Maximus said "The wealthy benefactor model is never going to be sustainable". I disagree with this. How do we think small market teams in the US survive and even prosper? (San Antonio Spurs, Green Bay Packers etc.)

Just to be clear, the San Antonio Spurs are regarded as one of the best run sports franchises in America and have only once posted an annual loss in the last decade. They are also based in a city with a metro area of over 2 million people with no competition from any of the other major sports leagues. They do not survive on a wealthy benefactor model.

The Green Bay Packers are publicly owned by a nonprofit corporation with specific rules that do not allow anyone to own over 4% of the shares to specifically prevent any individual taking control. They do not survive on a wealthy benefactor model.

#60 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

You know your amateur stuff so I'm not going to argue with you.

But in the SL club top 25 players I can find 7 Huddersfield born lads, 7 Bradford born lads and 4 Halifax lads.

None of these clubs generate enough local professionals or crowds to compete as top SL clubs so it's back to the old Mo Lyndsay problem. Too many clubs in too small an area.

If ever only one club in the area were to be allowed an SL place it'd be the one at Odsal IMHO

How many Melbourne lads are in the Storm team ? I don't think it's very many and they have been champions twice and league leaders on another occasion before they were deducted all their league points.

Whilst it's important to develop local players it's not immediately important for success.

Of the local Hudersfield players are there not several who are England internationals. When did Lyndsay become the prophet for all future RL progress.? He was just a follower of Murdoch  Didn't he run Wigan into near bankruptcy? His one big idea was Paris, how many local players were in that team? It could be argued that he ruined the rest of French RL by making them play for Paris and their local club. In just the same way by marginalising all teams not amongst the anointed in SL, it could be argued he started the slow decline of RL which we are discussing here.

The SL might be a marginally successul operation but the neutering of all the other teams has resulted a large loss of fan base numerically and the future fans, kids, who used to come to the game from these areas. I was one, but Keighley were getting three times as many fans then as now and 5 times as many later in Cougarmania days.

Where is the games future fan base from the 700 or so who currently constitute their supporters.?

Oh by the way, Dewsbury did quadruple their support  when they won the league. They were in the 3 to 4,000 range and several years earlier, before that talented team, headlined by the two Stephensons, was assembled. their crowds were numbered in the hundreds. I know, I used to watch Keighley at Crown Flatt. The trouble was, as at Bradford and lLeds they flatlined and could not increase further, probably due to the small size of the town.

As for making Odsal the ground a a single West Yorkshire franchise. Not without many millions of pounds of investment. It's old and tired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users