Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Backchat suggestion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

I know its been done to death on here but isn't it time we revisited.........

Tin hat on........
In Superleague Backchat Barry Mac brings up the M word for the "two WF postcodes and quotes St George Illawarra. He says explain to the fans that they can have 100% of nothing or 50% of something big.

On another thread HKR are possibly in trouble.

RL in Greater Manchester is going nowhere.

Had we gone for Mo's dream in '96 would we still be wondering how we move the game on?
Would the good Burghers of WF have by now embraced their team( especially if they had won something?)
I think they would.

Edited by bearman, 04 April 2013 - 06:53 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Another backchat suggestion - get rid of that burke Chris Irvine

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#3 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

I know its been done to death on here but isn't it time we revisited.........

Tin hat on........
In Superleague Backchat Barry Mac brings up the M word for the "two WF postcodes and quotes St George Illawarra. He says explain to the fans that they can have 100% of nothing or 50% of something big.

On another thread HKR are possibly in trouble.

RL in Greater Manchester is going nowhere.

Had we gone for Mo's dream in '96 would we still be wondering how we move the game on?
Would the good Burghers of WF have by now embraced their team( especially if they had won something?)
I think they would.

I thought the same thing. Especially about the Manchester Team. Salford had 2,990 on Good Friday (Plus some would have been Huddersfield) and the Oldham v Rochdale derby had 664 which is sad. All those that said id rather not watch rugby than not watch Oldham have clearly chosen option 1.  

Would a Manchester RLFC team manged to get more than 3,500 fans on Good Friday? I think it would but we will never know.

Would a Wakefield-Castleford team work im not sure, but why you havent shared a ground is beyond me. Its so obvious to do.

West Tigers are another one both founder members of the NSWRL nearly 100 years of history each. Joined together had 9,000 ave attendance in 2001 by 2006 it was over 19,000. 

I appreciate the Huddersfield-Sheffield one didnt work but that was ridiculous, If teams merge they need to be in the same area.

Simple fact is if Wakefield-Castleford joined fans wouldnt like it, If they get success on the pitch maybe they would have a change of heart, but were are you going now? If super League goes to 10 teams would either be in it? As it stands Castleford wouldnt have a chance 

The more and more Super League goes on and fans of clubs who could have merged into stronger clubs with bigger catchment areas drift away from the ones they fought to save, i think 1996 was a mixed opportunity.

Of the teams that would have been no more Warrington have made a success, good team, good stadium, 10,000 ave attendance. They have proved it would have been wrong to get rid of them into Cheshire. The opposite of Halifax

But honestly hand on heart, how many more have done? Which of these clubs would you say are a success in the modern game and add to the improvement of Rugby League in this country?

Castleford? Wakefield? Featherstone? Hull? Hull KR? Whitehaven? Workington? Barrow? Widnes? Salford? Oldham? Sheffield? Doncaster?

You could argue a few good points and maybe Hull would be ok on their own but i merged Hull would be stronger proposition

#4 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yes
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#5 Damien

Damien
  • Coach
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Mergers like that will never work in my opinion and fans will just be lost to the game. These clubs and areas need money to succeed, and in some cases development work which again means more money. Merging 2 weak, poor clubs with no money will just result in 1 weak and poor club.

#6 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

RoytonRoughed lf those clubs didn't exist for the last 17 years I wonder what impact that would have on the people playing currently in SL.

The combined average attendances of those clubs is around 50k. I suppose your fantasy is;

Hull + HKR = Hull

Fev + Wakey + Cas = Calder RL

Workington + Barrow + Whitehaven = Cumbria

Salford Oldham and Widnes = Manchester RLFC

Sheffield + Doncaster = Yorkshire RL

50k fans between 5 clubs that's 10k average each that's fantastic, now back to reality.

Mergers won't work. You can call fans whatever you want for not wanting to merge with another team, but you need to accept the reason that most people are into RL is because of the club they support. You can say 'it's for the good of the game' to fans but fans see their club as more important than the game. That's not being delusional, unreasonable and stupid thats called being a sports fan.

Something merger merger enthusiasts will have to accept.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users