TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

RL related works of art/artists?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Was just musing over what RL's best works of art are after I saw an article about a chap who did paintings at boxing matches. Anybody know of any eminent/famous/rare works? And also which are the notable artists?

The Lancashire v Yorks painting from 1893 stands out for me, but there must be older and newer ones

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

There's a nice hand painted swing pub sign of Billy Boston hangs outside the Bold hotel in Wigan

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Was just musing over what RL's best works of art are after I saw an article about a chap who did paintings at boxing matches. Anybody know of any eminent/famous/rare works? And also which are the notable artists?

The Lancashire v Yorks painting from 1893 stands out for me, but there must be older and newer ones

Your face is a picture whenever London lose...

#4 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

http://gcsports.zenf...aa838#h539aa838

#5 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Not art in a traditional sense but I dabble in graphic design and made this some years back before the tri-nations. Still think it's one of the best desktop backgrounds I've made and wish I designed it larger to sell as print, sure a few Kiwis would have picked it up

If I had any traditional artistic talent I'd be all over the subject but alas,I can't draw or paint or do much else!

v5a1si.jpg

#6 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Saying that, I've been meaning to design a few "designer" rugby league based t-shirts, jumpers etc. I have some concepts down. Not a business venture, just for myself. If I ever get round to finalising the designs and getting them printed I'll make a thread here with some pics.

Very rough ideas, just me playing around in photoshop with different image perspectives and trying to see if anything works to be honest, because I know nothing about clothing design. But you get an idea about what I mean when I say rugby league based, but not necessarily something the bloke on the street is going to know if he walks past you. The 2 on the right aren't rugby league based, unless buddha and roots manuva have taken up league and I missed the memo

Edited by ChrisGS, 07 April 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Isn't Lowry's "Going to the Football" (or similar title) about a rugby league match?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

RUGBY.JPG

#9 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Isn't Lowry's "Going to the Football" (or similar title) about a rugby league match?

Painted outside Bolton Wanderers' ground.

#10 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

The wall at lezignans ground done by Stephan selles, it shows lezignan through the years and sneaky little cheeky things he put in for people to find, like the gypsies playing guitar on the wall etc,

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

I remember Saints having an official artist back in the late 70s, early 80s and paintings done of Harry Pinner, Neil Holding, etc.

Didn't an artist also paint the original Hall of Famers too? They were put on stamps.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Painted outside Bolton Wanderers' ground.

This is going to bug me then as I'm sure he did something connected with Swinton.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

The old London Underground posters are fantastic - I've got six small reproductions mounted in a frame and they look awesome.

http://www.ltmuseums...heme/rugby.html

www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#14 Gregory Peccary

Gregory Peccary
  • Coach
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a822200d

#15 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

This is going to bug me then as I'm sure he did something connected with Swinton.

Have the same feeling. He certainly lived on Station Road.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#16 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

The old London Underground posters are fantastic - I've got six small reproductions mounted in a frame and they look awesome.

I particularly like the one calling the final the Northern Union final even though it is from 1931 and the game changed it's name to Rugby League earlier than that.

#17 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

Wow they look superb.

#18 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

The old Hunslet player and GB tourist Alf Ginger Burnell still does player portraits.I saw an excellent one of Garry Schoefield
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#19 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

I donated a drawing to Wigan St Pats last year of Andy Greg, forgotten the artist but its a good one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users