A pedant writes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

In Sunday's programme the editor commented that a programme in 1973 cost 5p (1/-) and contained only a couple of pages of writing together with 8 pages of adverts, hence making the current programme excellent value for money. Just for information 5p in 1973 is equivalent to 52p today, somwhat of a gap between the £2.50 cost of Sunday's programme.

I'm just saying.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Ours is great value johnny,  at just one English pound

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Just English ?  Not British ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Yes english. The scots have their own Scottish pound and the Bank of England issues the English pound. The Welsh economy is based on leeks I believe and there are 4.2 Leeks to the pound currently after a slight rally.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

Interestingly, English bank notes aren't legal tender in Scotland or Norn Iron.   In fact, no bank notes are.  If somebody insists legal tender, you have to pay with coins.

Yet another useless fact .........

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#6 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Interestingly, English bank notes aren't legal tender in Scotland or Norn Iron.   In fact, no bank notes are.  If somebody insists legal tender, you have to pay with coins.

Yet another useless fact .........

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#7 S.T.R

S.T.R
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

Not much going on in your lives
When I want your opinion, I will remove the gaffer tape

#8 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Yes english. The scots have their own Scottish pound and the Bank of England issues the English pound. The Welsh economy is based on leeks I believe and there are 4.2 Leeks to the pound currently after a slight rally.

Class!!!!

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#9 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

In Sunday's programme the editor commented that a programme in 1973 cost 5p (1/-) and contained only a couple of pages of writing together with 8 pages of adverts, hence making the current programme excellent value for money. Just for information 5p in 1973 is equivalent to 52p today, somwhat of a gap between the £2.50 cost of Sunday's programme.

I'm just saying.

Edited by Sir Jekyll Stocking, 06 April 2013 - 01:25 PM.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#10 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

I wasn't sure how you worked out that 5p in 1973 is the equivalent of 52p, but according to my calculations that's the equivalent of an average annual rate of inflation of 6.0%, so given the values of RPI in the '70s and early 80's, I think you're there or thereabouts.

Coincidentally my (seven year old) daughter's bed-time reading this week has been "Paddington Marches On," bought in 1974 for 30p. Today it can be bought from Amazon for £3.74 - an average rate of inflation of 6.68% - which would result in a Dewsbury programme costing around 67p.

For entertainment and value for money I'd stick with Paddington, BSJ.   :)     

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

I wasn't sure how you worked out that 5p in 1973 is the equivalent of 52p, but according to my calculations that's the equivalent of an average annual rate of inflation of 6.0%, so given the values of RPI in the '70s and early 80's, I think you're there or thereabouts.

Coincidentally my (seven year old) daughter's bed-time reading this week has been "Paddington Marches On," bought in 1974 for 30p. Today it can be bought from Amazon for £3.74 - an average rate of inflation of 6.68% - which would result in a Dewsbury programme costing around 67p.

For entertainment and value for money I'd stick with Paddington, BSJ.   :)

http://www.thisismon...anged-1900.html
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users