Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

30 YEARS ON: The Story of Wembley 1983

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

A whole new blog series starts today.

It's a 30th anniversary celebration.

Feel free to add your comments and memories.....

http://marklaspalmas...983-part-i.html

banner.jpg

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#2 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

It's also the 40th anniversary of our 1973 victory.

#3 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

It's also the 40th anniversary of our 1973 victory.

Another marvellous moment from our club's history. Do you fancy writing a piece for the blog about it Steve?

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Batley at home in the first round, but they never came to Post Office Road..........

http://marklaspalmas...83-part-ii.html

cup+lift+2.jpg

#5 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Been to every one Mark. The 1952 Eric Batten/ Freddie Miller final sticks in my mind simply because we were just a team of locals and a few big team cast offs. Batten made them into a working force to be reckoned with. When you think we were up against Mudge, Paskins, Risman etc we did well at Wembley. I wonder if anybody ever wrote a biography of Batten, he was a very interesting character. A man or iron will was my understanding of him when I was 18. Now at 79 I might be a little more circumspect but it would make interesting reading..

#6 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Batley at home in the first round, but they never came to Post Office Road..........

http://marklaspalmas...83-part-ii.html

cup+lift+2.jpg

I'm looking forward to the next round of the blog. I really enjoyed the following game against Salford. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, just suffice to say Nigel Barker had a blinder in the game.

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm looking forward to the next round of the blog. I really enjoyed the following game against Salford. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, just suffice to say Nigel Barker had a blinder in the game.

He did indeed Andrew.....

http://marklaspalmas...3-part-iii.html

#8 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Rovers followers turned out in massive numbers for yhis game on a grizzly, damp cold Sunday afternoon. Nigel Barker's second try was a peach. I seem to remember Terry Hudson playing at loose forward in this game and Neil Pickerill at scrum half, or the other way around. I can't believe that the great Steve Nash didn't play in that game although I do remember him battling a detached retina at the end of his career.

The next match in Mark's series is one of the most terrifying matches that I have ever attended. I don't mean on the field either.

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Great stuff.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

The Story of Wembley part IV:

A trip to Knowsley Road......

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/the-story-of-wembley-1983-part-iv.html

Agars.jpg

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Semi-final.

Cracking day that.....

http://marklaspalmas...983-part-v.html

IVB+semi+try.jpg

#12 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

A great occasion. Hanley's try was incredible, he was playing in the centres that day, the pace and power which he exhibited was a precursor to his Wigan days.

Marsden had been immense in his role as a right winger, in this and the previous round. If I remember correctly he'd been converted to right winger by Allan Agar, from full back. Gilbert also was immense only to have his final ruined.

The pack was formidable as good as any in the league that year.

Another memory I have was watching the last few minutes from pitch level ( in anticipation of running on after the final hooter) and thinking that David Smith the Bradford winger had scored a try at the side of the posts which would have set up a simple equalising kick.

I've watched this back on TV many times since and still think that he must score, but for the remarkable effort of Pete Smith and Keith Bell with an impossible last ditch tackle.

Alex Murphy's classic rubbish in the commentary. On Rovers' second try. "That's Alan Hudson to Nigel Banks......"
"Tremendous strength by the 19 stone prop Ray Hankins ( Mick Gibbins) using his 16 stone ........"

what a caber thrower?

Mark I am almost 100% sure both the Saints and Bradford games were not shown either live or in their entirety by the BBC.
In Eddie Waring's days they used to show brief highlights of the first half and then the second half live and in full.
When the wordsmith Ray French took over in 1981/2 the BBC had a policy of showing delayed edited highlights of both halves but after
an early 2.15 kick off.

#13 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Great memories. The other two things I recall from the Bradford game are Marsden putting Grayshon on his backside (think of the size differential) as he set up the winning try, and Fev managing to stretch out a scrum for about five minutes near the end of the game :-)

#14 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Mark I am almost 100% sure both the Saints and Bradford games were not shown either live or in their entirety by the BBC.
In Eddie Waring's days they used to show brief highlights of the first half and then the second half live and in full.
When the wordsmith Ray French took over in 1981/2 the BBC had a policy of showing delayed edited highlights of both halves but after
an early 2.15 kick off.

I don't remember that. I thought it was first half highlights and second half live or as-live.

#15 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

I don't remember that. I thought it was first half highlights and second half live or as-live.

Unbelievably I have never seen the final on VT but I do still have a VHS of a little bit of this game from the original Grandstand broadcast. The Liverpool v Man Utd league cup final scores being up dated on it. One poster mentions Rovers stringing a scrum out in the second half, if you look closely it is in fact two or three scrums that have been edited to look like one scrum, they are a few yards apart. The bit where David Smith nearly scores at the end is also a really bad edit. The game finished at 4 o'clock and Grandstand compressed the whole game into 40 minutes or so, such that Granstand got the telly printer in at 440.
I'm not saying that the BBC regarded RL as a minority sport but Grandstand had shown 40 minutes of Badminton before showing our semi.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 09 April 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thirty years on.....

With a spot at Wembley duly booked, there was some other business to take care of....

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/the-story-of-wembley-1983-part-vi.html

Cup+lift.jpg

#17 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Unbelievably I have never seen the final on VT but I do still have a VHS of a little bit of this game from the original Grandstand broadcast. The Liverpool v Man Utd league cup final scores being up dated on it. One poster mentions Rovers stringing a scrum out in the second half, if you look closely it is in fact two or three scrums that have been edited to look like one scrum, they are a few yards apart. The bit where David Smith nearly scores at the end is also a really bad edit. The game finished at 4 o'clock and Grandstand compressed the whole game into 40 minutes or so, such that Granstand got the telly printer in at 440.
I'm not saying that the BBC regarded RL as a minority sport but Grandstand had shown 40 minutes of Badminton before showing our semi.

Andy, it was just one scrum which collapsed time after time and lasted around three minutes I'd say. I had the pleasure of pressing the button to sound the final hooter at the end of the game and also at Wembley, both heart stopping encounters. Fantastic memories Mark, well done yet again.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#18 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

Wem-ber-lee! Wem-ber-lee! We are the greatest Featherstone, and we're going to Wem-ber-lee!

Today's installment with some lovely photos by Eric Lorriman.

http://marklaspalmas...3-part-vii.html

Wembley+83+Homecoming+2.jpgWembley+83+Homecoming+3.jpgWembley+83+Homecoming+4.jpg

#19 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

What a day this was....

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/the-story-of-wembley-1983-part-viii.html

Hobbs+winner.jpg

#20 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

My own personal memories of the 83 final day.

Please feel free to add your own, here or on the blog.......

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/the-story-of-wembley-1983-part-ix.html

PRog.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users