Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

30 YEARS ON: The Story of Wembley 1983

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

I was 16 and my mate was 15. He'd only started going about 2 months earlier and at that point had never seen Rovers lose. So he was a bit of a lucky charm. I stopped at his house the night before and I remember not daring to sleep too heavily (not that that was going to be possible anyway with the impending excitement) and setting 3 alarm clocks such that we didn't sleep in and miss Mrs. Thorpe's bus from Ponte.

Sure enough we were up in time and waiting for the bus at Stringer's petrol station in Pontefract. 8.00 am already a fag and a can of bitter on, although me and my mate decided to take it steady as we wanted to savour every moment of the day.

I remember we'd just got to Newark and one of the supporters Kersh, with his halved Blue and White face asking Ann if we could stop.
We did and it was about 20 privates on parade on the hard shoulder as the Bitter etc had kicked in.

I remember getting to Leicester Forest and there was a coach full of Derby County fans who'd wished us well until my mate, whose only available blue and white scarf was a Leicester City one showing it to them as our coach left, the well wishing turning to two digit salutes.

The grey weather turning to sunshine as we got toward Peterborough. Then the unthinkable happened!!!! Gearbox crunch.

We were broken down, we were going to miss the final after all. As luck would have it we got a replacement coach and thankfully we made it with about half an hour to go.

Seeing Wembley for my first and only time. Thinking it was a bit scruffier than I'd have imagined on the exterior.

On entering the field the green hallowed turf. The band and Todd Carty who played Tucker Jenkins in Grange Hill coming to our end with his thumbs up.

Going wild when Hobbsy scored after a few minutes, thinking this is beyond our wildest dreams.

Lee Crooks missing a straightforward penalty just in front of us.

Going to the toilet and hearing a huge boo, only on returning to learn that Gilbert our stsr man had been carried off.

Seeing all the cameras in the Hull crowd flashing as Lee Crooks took a conversion.

Thinking, as Mark said at 12-5 down that that was it. I still had my Catholic faith in those days and I remember saying a prayer, though you shouldn't really pray for gain.

Quinny, we thought at the time unbelievably taking 'two' when we were seven down and needing a miracle.

I think at 12-5 down there was a point, though I have never seen the playback, when I remember Kenny Kellett or Paul Lyman having a chance and bombing it.

David Hobbs or whoevers I can't remember had a drop goal attempt that soared over but also remebering Mr.Whitfield not allowing it as Trevor Skerrett or Mick Crane had indicated that I think Gary Kemble had touched it in flight.

Quinny's winning kick. me and lad I knew actually started to cry as Mr.Whitfield turned his back to us and signalled what would become utopia.

Still tears as the ball soared over, unbelievable emotion.

But it wasn't over, I remember James Leuluai their New Zealand test centre kicking the ball through and having a foot race with Quinn himself, surely Leuluai their star man would break our hearts, but Quinn unbelievable beat him on the foot race and dived on the ball. Everyone now whistling, even though we were listening for an electronic beep.

Loads of us not hearing the bleep but seeing Gary Siddall jumping up and down like a mad man signalling to us that that meant the game was over.

Loads of us just collapsing in a heep of tears of joy and disbelief.

15000 Rovers singing ' ee i adio' and 'We shall not be moved' as Terry Hudson lifted the trophy.

Finding the coach eventually after the game a lot if Hull fans magnanimous in defeat.

After about two hours of the homeward Journey we stopped at this country pub for 30 mins.

I remember having a skin full in thise 30 mins, now was the time to celebrate.

Getting of the coach and making last orders at the Blackmore Head, feeling so proud to have the Rovers colours on.

And final, getting home about half eleven expecting seeing my dad Jubilant ( he'd stayed at home) only for him to tell me to get to bed cis in his mind I was drunk. He was ok in the morning though ( which is more than I was) he'd just been a bit dejected at having to work and missing going.

The saddest thing of all is that I and many other young supporters at that time and a decade before that were privileged to see 15 working class heroes winning the cup, because of the powers that be the younger generation of under 35s will never probably experience that incredible journey ever again.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 13 April 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#22 fitzy

fitzy
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

I'd been to all games leading up to the final, apart from Salford away...can't remember why I didn't make that one.

I was 12 years old in May 1983, my big brother (Gary Siddall) was playing. I remember being disappointed that he was on the sub's bench, but had been struggling with an injury in the lead up to the final. At least he was in the 15 though.

In the days before the final we trimmed our house on Eastbourne Avenue up with blue and white crepe paper; cutting a cardboard cut-out of the cup and covering it with foil, putting twisty blue and white crepe paper 'ribbons' on it- that was our window display. Every house around us trimmed up too, and all the shops on Station Lane were decorated; they looked fabulous.

On the day I remember parking up near the ground with my mum and dad, meeting my pregnant sister and husband, and walking along Wembley Way, it seeming really long and full of the excitement of loads of fans and different colours.

Once inside the stadium, I'd never seen so many fans in one place before and the noise was immense!

I just remember not being able to believe that we were leading against the might of Hull; thinking the drop goal was over without being touched; wondering when Gary was going to get on the field and being proud when he did; and then not hardly bearing to breathe whilst Steve Quinn was taking that penalty kick, but going crazy when it went over! And as Andrew says, seeing my brother jumping up and down in the air when the final hooter went...that was when I started crying (and I'm not a crying person!).

Watching Terry Hudson lifting the cup to our right with those blue and white ribbons on it.

Coming out of the ground and Hull KR fans coming up and shaking our hands; but also the Hull fans being gracious in defeat and saying we deserved the win.

Going back up the M1 and waving to every car and coach that had Fev fans in it and feeling so proud.

And then in the week following, seeing Station Lane packed as the lads brought the cup back home, even the rain couldn't stop me smiling! Also, I couldn't wait to get back to school to brag to my schoolfriends (as I went to St Wilfrids they were mainly Cas and Leeds fans!)

As I've said on Facebook, this is one of the best days of my life, and one that will stay with me forever.

#23 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

I was only 11 years old but I can remember the semi final and the final, one of my favourite memories was stood on a wall near some traffic lights outside the ground with my whole family waving at all the coaches going past , Hull KR fans with blue and white scarfs on and cas fans with black and white on.

I can remember walking down Wembley way seeing the Twin Towers and Fev fans singing along, as usual we were well outnumbered but all the neutrals were on our side and helping us drown out the Hull masses.

The atmosphere was unrivalled in the ground throughout the game and at the final whistle everyone was deliriously happy.

Really enjoyed the blog Mark, it's brought back some great memories. Cheers.

Let's hope we can return one day soon and do it all again in the new Wembley so a new generation can experience the magic of a final experience.

Now where is my Wembley DVD
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#24 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

I travelled down to London on the train with my 3 kids, ages 10, 7 and 18 months and hubby, we went on the Friday morning as we were staying with relatives down in Lambeth till the Monday. My Dad travelled down on the supporters coach on the Saturday and I along with the 2 eldest kids met him there. We were sat down at Wembley as standing was still an option at that time,sat behind us were St. Helens fans who were routing for us on the day, there were also Hull fans sat amongst us as well. Everything was good natured and the banter flowed. I remember closing my eyes when Steve Quinn went to kick that last goal, so never saw it till I watched the recording, but what I did witness was all the Fev fans and the neutrals going absolutely mental after that.After the final whistle the Saints fans were hugging us and the Hull fans were shaking our hands saying the best team won.
I missed the team bringing the cup back due to still being in London, but that game, the atmosphere and the spirit of the fans and the team will live with me forever.
Glory days!!!
Im Fev and im proud

#25 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Great stuff everyone!

Ive posted the final part today.....

http://marklaspalmas...983-part-x.html

and Im going to post some fans memories tomorrow.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#26 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Put loads of differents fans' memories of Wembley 83 on the blog today. It makes some good reading!

http://marklaspalmas...83-part-xi.html

Many thanks to:

Terry Mullaney
Mick Bourke
Andy Knight
Janet Jennings
John Dyson
Joanne Fitzpatrick
Alan Bedworth
Nigel Harper
Andrew Vause.
fitzy
Stratobill
Maureen T-k
Sharon Jordan
Paul Gibbins
Al Jefferson
Mark Butler

#27 pont rover

pont rover
  • Coach
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Following on from Mark's work, an article on the BBC sports page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/22167665

#28 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thanks Mark for putting that together, you really do a great job in bringing memories back.

I was only 7 in 1983 and my Dad took me to my first game which was the Wigan draw before the cup final. Unfortunately my Dad went with his mates to the final and left me at home to witness the game on TV. This is a decision which I never let him forget but to be fair to my Dad he did not know what was round the corner and always felt that more cup finals would come our wa.

When I always look back at our history, especially the 70's it is always with a touch of sadness that it happened just before my time. If I am honest I can't see us ever returning to the Wembley again and the closest I came was in 95 V Leeds but I won't ever stop believing.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#29 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Mark for putting that together, you really do a great job in bringing memories back.I was only 7 in 1983 and my Dad took me to my first game which was the Wigan draw before the cup final. Unfortunately my Dad went with his mates to the final and left me at home to witness the game on TV. This is a decision which I never let him forget but to be fair to my Dad he did not know what was round the corner and always felt that more cup finals would come our wa.When I always look back at our history, especially the 70's it is always with a touch of sadness that it happened just before my time. If I am honest I can't see us ever returning to the Wembley again and the closest I came was in 95 V Leeds but I won't ever stop believing.

Ian, if you read my badly written piece just above, the last paragraph is aimed at people such as your good self.

#30 rusky

rusky
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

This is my first ever post on the forum and it is to congratulate you on two things, First the wonderful memories of 83 of which I could write a book. Secondly and perhaps more importantly this topic has inspired me to renew my support and bring along my grandson on Sunday. It is 20years since I moved down to rural Lincolnshire with my work and where I am now retired. I was a season ticket holder from 1962 to the forming of Super League which left me devastated however, I am excited and enthused again and look forward to a pint in the clubhouse and cheering the lads on to great win. Again thank you for your great topic,I must admit it brought many a happy tear to my eyes.

#31 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

This is my first ever post on the forum and it is to congratulate you on two things, First the wonderful memories of 83 of which I could write a book. Secondly and perhaps more importantly this topic has inspired me to renew my support and bring along my grandson on Sunday. It is 20years since I moved down to rural Lincolnshire with my work and where I am now retired. I was a season ticket holder from 1962 to the forming of Super League which left me devastated however, I am excited and enthused again and look forward to a pint in the clubhouse and cheering the lads on to great win. Again thank you for your great topic,I must admit it brought many a happy tear to my eyes.

Welcome to the forum, and an even bigger welcome back to planet Fev
Im Fev and im proud

#32 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

that's great. welcome back

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#33 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

Ian, if you read my badly written piece just above, the last paragraph is aimed at people such as your good self.

Andrew, I loved reading your piece. Just really fantastic memories.

When I put the game on at home the hairs on the back of head still stand up when the players come out of the tunnel. Like you said they were 15 working class men and they were walking out to take on a team of internationals on the biggest RL stage. How proud must they have been? I would have loved to have been there but I always try and take the positives out of everything. The club as still given me 30 years of great memories and have contributed to the person I am today. I would not change that for anything.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#34 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Brilliant stuff, welcome home.

#35 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

This is my first ever post on the forum and it is to congratulate you on two things, First the wonderful memories of 83 of which I could write a book. Secondly and perhaps more importantly this topic has inspired me to renew my support and bring along my grandson on Sunday. It is 20years since I moved down to rural Lincolnshire with my work and where I am now retired. I was a season ticket holder from 1962 to the forming of Super League which left me devastated however, I am excited and enthused again and look forward to a pint in the clubhouse and cheering the lads on to great win. Again thank you for your great topic,I must admit it brought many a happy tear to my eyes.

Really great, I came back after a ten year hiatus, because of the forum. Nice to hear positives. Great work by Mark.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 23 April 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#36 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Welcome back rusky bring plenty of cash with you as I am sure you will want to buy your grandson a Fev shirt to take home and show off to his mam and dad :-) enjoy the game it should be a cracker.

#37 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Welcome back Rusky, I too got my first season ticket in 1962 at a time when Rovers had a team to match anyone. And I too stopped coming after a while, my support dwindled from '95 to a total walk-away after the '98 GF. But I brought my 6-year-old grandson in 2002 and have been a regular again ever since.
It's very encouraging that former fans keep on drifting back, but what's more important is that they bring their kids and grandkids with them, these are the supporters of tomorrow! 

#38 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,946 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

A great occasion. Hanley's try was incredible, he was playing in the centres that day, the pace and power which he exhibited was a precursor to his Wigan days.

Marsden had been immense in his role as a right winger, in this and the previous round. If I remember correctly he'd been converted to right winger by Allan Agar, from full back. Gilbert also was immense only to have his final ruined.

The pack was formidable as good as any in the league that year.

Another memory I have was watching the last few minutes from pitch level ( in anticipation of running on after the final hooter) and thinking that David Smith the Bradford winger had scored a try at the side of the posts which would have set up a simple equalising kick.

I've watched this back on TV many times since and still think that he must score, but for the remarkable effort of Pete Smith and Keith Bell with an impossible last ditch tackle.

Alex Murphy's classic rubbish in the commentary. On Rovers' second try. "That's Alan Hudson to Nigel Banks......"
"Tremendous strength by the 19 stone prop Ray Hankins ( Mick Gibbins) using his 16 stone ........"

what a caber thrower?

Mark I am almost 100% sure both the Saints and Bradford games were not shown either live or in their entirety by the BBC.
In Eddie Waring's days they used to show brief highlights of the first half and then the second half live and in full.
When the wordsmith Ray French took over in 1981/2 the BBC had a policy of showing delayed edited highlights of both halves but after
an early 2.15 kick off.

I went to the Batley game at Wakey - the terraces were lethal, I remember a copper slipping and falling and everyone laughing, and I waent to Salford

I was at the Saints game and remember Johnny Gilbert scoring. I missed the semi. I went to a very posh wedding in London which had been booked long before Fev got  though.  It was held at the Middle Temple Church and the reception was at the Savoy no less.  I went to pick up the car from the church to collect my wife and in laws from the Savoy and was actually driving along the Strand when I heard the result, I was so elated I missed the turning and had to go right across the Thames and back - they were waiting for me and I'd been gone about an hour!  My explanation was not satisfactory!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#39 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Very good piece on the 1983 final on BBC Rugby League page at the moment. Apologies if it has already been mentioned.

#40 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Very good piece on the 1983 final on BBC Rugby League page at the moment. Apologies if it has already been mentioned.

It is a good article, and nice of him to put a link to my blog on there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users