Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Another one in the eye for the Amateur game

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Mate I know a lot of the lads you mention, Gary Murdock very well from his time at Carlisle.
I have a lot of time for innovative exciting players like Barry Williams and tommy martyn. If the best coaches are at the amateur level I think that is something we have to address or these players will end up at sale and Newcastle playing union because they were the first pro sides to show interest.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#22 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,454 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Its sad, but its been an issue for a while now that has been ignored by the RFL amongst others. Clubs, understandably, do whats best for them- whether they be Pro or amateur. But who is thinking and making decisions thats best for the game? That should be the RFL. Instead of people fighting and going against each other, the RFL should be looking to organize things so that the amateur teams are looked after and treated with respect. That the kids are not forced to choose sides. That the Pro teams can run their Programmes properly. The Pro clubs for me have too much power and often show no understanding or respect both to kids and clubs. The failure of the RFL to even try and sort this mess out is a disgrace really.

#23 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Mate I know a lot of the lads you mention, Gary Murdock very well from his time at Carlisle.
I have a lot of time for innovative exciting players like Barry Williams and tommy martyn. If the best coaches are at the amateur level I think that is something we have to address or these players will end up at sale and Newcastle playing union because they were the first pro sides to show interest.

I'm not saying that all the best coaches are at amateur level, just highlighting the potential out there and that these programs are not the be all and end all of RL. The bottom line is we need more innovation and more players playing the game. The majority of coaching is just a copy of whats out there. If we are to compete we need people to think differently and nurture and develop independent thinking not just do the same thing every time

Its sad, but its been an issue for a while now that has been ignored by the RFL amongst others. Clubs, understandably, do whats best for them- whether they be Pro or amateur. But who is thinking and making decisions thats best for the game? That should be the RFL. Instead of people fighting and going against each other, the RFL should be looking to organize things so that the amateur teams are looked after and treated with respect. That the kids are not forced to choose sides. That the Pro teams can run their Programmes properly. The Pro clubs for me have too much power and often show no understanding or respect both to kids and clubs. The failure of the RFL to even try and sort this mess out is a disgrace really.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#24 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

I'm not saying that all the best coaches are at amateur level, just highlighting the potential out there and that these programs are not the be all and end all of RL. The bottom line is we need more innovation and more players playing the game. The majority of coaching is just a copy of whats out there. If we are to compete we need people to think differently and nurture and develop independent thinking not just do the same thing every time

Very refreshing and something I have advocated for a long time, what a lot of coaches still fail to understand particularly at the
alledged "Higher Level" is that the art to "Coaching" is understanding the capability of your team/squad and "Coaching" them
within their capability as a collective to perform in a manner that suits them, rather than "Melbourne Storm play this way so that is how we are going to play"...........No thought and No understanding of their players, their team or the game, but all fully clad in nice tracksuits!

Edited by LordCharles, 12 April 2013 - 06:40 AM.