Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Forward's

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 D4vid

D4vid
  • Facebook
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Anybody any suggestions or ideas for forwards we could bring in, it's all well and good having Fleming and Walmsley but we all know The Beast is going to force his way into the Saints team and for my money the England team. And Castleford are hardly in a position to keep shipping out a player of Flemings quality. I like the look of Rowe so far. Baz is looking better than last season but I think we are short in the pack.

#2 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Agreed our three props are all playing well. But we do need a 4th we wont go through the season without injuries and as you say duel reg is not the answer . Easter proved that as when the super duper league clubs say no its a case of make do. as you may gather i am not a fan of duel reg there was and is nothing wrong with the 1 month or season long loan systems. with proper loan deals the player is yours for the agreed time. not to give their squad players game time. Getting back to your point we are very thin on the ground with our pack and we need at least one recruit to bolster our championship credentials.

#3 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Who is going to come?

Potter & Scott have shipped out already this season due to lack of game time.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#4 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Time to give Leary some time.

#5 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Who is going to come?
Potter & Scott have shipped out already this season due to lack of game time.

Both the players you have mentioned were squad players but neither possessed (in my oppinion) the ability to hold down a reguler 1st team shirt. If we are to challenge at the top we need size and power in the forwards. When we play the Featherstone,s, Sheffields, Leigh and Halifax we dont want to be short up front.All the remaining players are playing so well that little bit of power could be the difference to being the year of the Bulldogs or just top 5 finnish. See you all at the mount tommorrow

#6 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Batley cannot afford(financially) four good/experienced Championship prop forwards although I do agree you do need four good props to challenge for the top 4. The signing of Potter was probably to cover for injuries/suspensions etc. Scott would have played at prop in an emergency and would not have got in the second row ahead of Davies, Bretherton or Applegarth.

Mullally and Fairbank are not getting into the Giants teams on a regular basis so I would assume one of these or both will be available to Batley.

Against Whitehaven next week hopefully Batley will have Hirst, Smith, Rowe, Leary and at least one dual registration player to pick from.

Batley are going to need luck with injuries, the team effort that was shown against Hunslet/Dewsbury and have dual registration players available to finish in the top 4 but with Batley's crowds/financial resources I do not see an alternative. 

Could do with a bit of luck in the Challenge Cup draw on Monday.

Edited by bulldogtrev, 06 April 2013 - 07:30 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#7 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Leeds at home after we put the Thunder out!

#8 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

I think what we have is what we have now. With Scott and Potter leaving it might have been a very slight financial relief, but I don't see us going into the market for replacements with the messages that are coming out of the club at the moment. Crowds are down badly, and with us winning frequently at the moment it puts even more pressure on the finances at the club.

Matches like tomorrow are big impending losses I would assume, and it's only worth winning tomorrow with the hope of a decent payday in the next round. Ironically it concerns me at the moment more with us winning even more! It really can be a no win situation at our level.

#9 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

Which is exactly why we all need to get behind the lads. The best way to do that is to get new fans in (or even old ones that have stopped going). Get those friends who've never been to a rugby match to give it a chance. You never know. They might enjoy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users