Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Any Statto's Out There

Crowd Stats

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Probably the best way to look at things like this is to compare the 7 games that were played versus their lowest SL figures if there is a desire to dig out something negative.

So, for the 7 games played this round:

SL lowest combined = 45,918

SL highest combined = 76,090

2013 combined = 55,117

So, whilst some of the crowds were low (3 of them were the lowest SL crowds for those games ever) - as you can see the combined amount is almost 10k higher than the worst total.

I think people sometimes forget how low some crowds were even 10 years ago.

As for taking Leeds' and Wigan's crowds out, why the hell would you do that? Their crowds have been low at times during SL - I'm sure people didn;t want to artificially boost these then.

#22 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Just to be even clearer...could you please provide the top 10 of lowest aggregate when Leeds and Wigan , or preferably the top 4 crowd pullers at any one time, are away from home...am i right in thinking that SL as a sporting competition pulls in less than a 7,000 average , i.e incredibly dire in modern times,  if you take away the top 4 crowd merchants..????

It takes a special type of bitterness to try and reinterpret the crowds in this way.

Not only are you taking out the top 4 clubs (29% of the league) to make out that the crowds are shocking, but you are also reinterpreting them for 'modern times,' as if modern times now guarantee a sport higher crowds.

Why didn't you reinterpret the crowds by taking out the bottom 4 clubs?

#23 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

It takes a special type of bitterness to try and reinterpret the crowds in this way.

Not only are you taking out the top 4 clubs (29% of the league) to make out that the crowds are shocking, but you are also reinterpreting them for 'modern times,' as if modern times now guarantee a sport higher crowds.

Why didn't you reinterpret the crowds by taking out the bottom 4 clubs?

No bitterness involved, just showing , as you have done yourself, that figures can be manipulated to back up an argument either way...

As i happen to think happens at regular intervals in Rugby League with little or no accountability...i just cannot see why some people are so dead against a proper debate/inquiry into the course and future of Super League and Rugby League as a whole..

The evidence is there that the game is not sustainable in its current form...

#24 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Let's be clear, there does look to have been a genuine decline in crowds this year. They will still be historically high but there is little denying that some clubs appear to be struggling.

There are obviously some clubs like Salford and London that must be seen as having years out of the ordinary. Salford almost didn't start the season which has obviously had an effect with season tickets and the like. A better judge of them will be next year. London's have dropped but I dislike the way the crowds on the road are being jumped on as evidence; these are obviously extreme circumstances that will not be repeated every year.

Whilst I think most clubs are looking at a decline, the most worrying for me would be Cas, Huddersfield, Catalans and Bradford. I don't think it's any coincidence that two of those clubs benefitted from the ridiculously low season ticket prices. Castleford seem to be imploding, which is sad as they have such a historically loyal support and they seem to have flipped places with Wakefield who for years played very much second fiddle. Catalans last crowd against Leeds was back to where it should be but most have been lower than normal even for the time of year.

You have to question where it is coming from. I think we have done well up until now to be resilient during the economic crisis and there was obviously going to be a point where this had an effect, especially when you consider the demographic of many RL fans. Apathy also needs to be considered though, we're into our 5th year of a system that is alien to most fans. It has to be considered that a number of fans are seeing games as less crucial than others and I hate to say it but I think Leeds' heroics could have damaged the credibility of the weekly rounds. Whether an unrepeatable fluke or not, it has certainly led to a feeling that the league positions don't mean nearly as much as they should. It's hard to get excited about your prospects knowing that it means little come September.

#25 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

No bitterness involved, just showing , as you have done yourself, that figures can be manipulated to back up an argument either way...

As i happen to think happens at regular intervals in Rugby League with little or no accountability...i just cannot see why some people are so dead against a proper debate/inquiry into the course and future of Super League and Rugby League as a whole..

The evidence is there that the game is not sustainable in its current form...

How is there no bitterness involved when you have manipulated the figures to portray a negative picture of the game? I only did so in reply to your manipulation, why do it that way in the first place?

There is a huge difference between debating the future of Super League properly and doing it after you have manipulated figures to the point you call them, 'incredibly dire in modern times.'

There is literally no point having a 'debate/inquiry' with somebody that is coming at it from a position where they are wanting the game to look like it is a failure whether it really is or not.

#26 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

How do the figures stack up if we only take the average attendances of the least-supported clubs on the days where their gates happen to be lower?

I bet you anything the averages will be lower than in the rosy picture painted by the RFL, you mark my words.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#27 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

How do the figures stack up if we only take the average attendances of the least-supported clubs on the days where their gates happen to be lower?

I bet you anything the averages will be lower than in the rosy picture painted by the RFL, you mark my words.

Well, if you take out the top 12 attended clubs, the average is 2,750.

I've sent a letter to the RFL and requested that they give up.

#28 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well, if you take out the top 12 attended clubs, the average is 2,750.

I've sent a letter to the RFL and requested that they give up.

Not sure why you would try to spin the averages by including the 13th-best supported club, sounds like typical RFL rosy-in-the-garden stuff.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#29 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Not sure why you would try to spin the averages by including the 13th-best supported club, sounds like typical RFL rosy-in-the-garden stuff.

London's crowds are only a third of what the original Fulham clubs were. Proving that Rugby League has declined by 2/3rds since the early 80's.

Shocking stuff. The RFL have a lot to answer for overseeing and engineering such a decline.

Although to their credit, everybody always criticises them for being so secretive. Well I called them the other day and had no bother getting hold of this,

t8iktxl2poqglgasahkr.jpg

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 08 April 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#30 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

London's crowds are only a third of what the original Fulham clubs were. Proving that Rugby League has declined by 2/3rds since the early 80's.

Shocking stuff. The RFL have a lot to answer for overseeing and engineering such a decline.

Although to their credit, everybody always criticises them for being so secretive. Well I called them the other day and had no bother getting hold of this,

t8iktxl2poqglgasahkr.jpg

Sinister - the stamp appears to be in French.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users