Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

10 teams?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

I was just looking over the superleague table, having been out of the loop a bit recently.

Is it just me who thinks there are probably only 10 teams who are realistic every week contenders, that is to say each could regularly turn over any of the other 9. Is this why there are rumours if two 10 team conferences of superleague?

#2 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

I was just looking over the superleague table, having been out of the loop a bit recently.

Is it just me who thinks there are probably only 10 teams who are realistic every week contenders, that is to say each could regularly turn over any of the other 9. Is this why there are rumours if two 10 team conferences of superleague?

No - the reason was wishful thinking....

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

I would have thought so.

I imagine most people think there's only three or four contenders.

If there are ten, as you say, then really we need to expand to sixteen or even eighteen teams.
People called Romans they go the house

#4 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

If you had a 10 team league,someone would still be bottom.No doubt someone would then suggest a 8 or 9 team league.

#5 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

If you had a 10 team league,someone would still be bottom.No doubt someone would then suggest a 8 or 9 team league.

Why would they if the bottom team had the resources to do better the following year?

It's not coming bottom that is a problem at all.

It's not having the money or players to compete that is the problem.

Edited by The Parksider, 07 April 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

10 teams for me......

1. wigan
2. st helens
3. warrington
4. huddersfield
5. bradford
6. leeds
7. hull fc
8. hull kr
9. catalan
10. london

would produce a incredibly good league imo

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

10 teams for me......

1. wigan
2. st helens
3. warrington
4. huddersfield
5. bradford
6. leeds
7. hull fc
8. hull kr
9. catalan
10. london

No it wouldn't.

Don't you appreciate a good league needs money?

HKR don't have any so why put them in? You want Wigan to smash them three times a season?

Salford may be the richest club in the Rugby League and they are NOT in??

The strongest area of RL for fans(up to 20,000) and players (20 quality home grown talents) is the Calder area and you've left them all out.

It's a recipe for disaster.

#8 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

10 teams for me......

1. wigan
2. st helens
3. warrington
4. huddersfield
5. bradford
6. leeds
7. hull fc
8. Merged Calder Team
9. catalan
10. london
11. Salford
12. Toulouse

I think 12 would be ok, if Sky paid the same as they do now the extra money could be split with London, Toulouse and a merged Calder team receiving a higher weighting. London should get at least another £500k.

#9 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think 12 would be ok, if Sky paid the same as they do now the extra money could be split with London, Toulouse and a merged Calder team receiving a higher weighting. London should get at least another £500k.

Or we could merge Leeds and Bradford

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Why?

Edited by The Parksider, 07 April 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#11 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Well its almost one city any way
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#12 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ok, let's do that, that leaves another spot for maybe another London team or even a team from the East MIdlands.

#13 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

If the game has to go to 12 or 10 clubs it will be time for RFL/SLE to sort out a Superleague properly instead of leaving it to the clubs to independently sort themselves out with the clubs for SL depending on who has a rich daddy at any given time.

So things like picking the teams strategically and geographically to maximise their resources, and yes giving extra money to clubs who need it to develop and more central control etc.

Because if we went to 10 clubs then I can't see many of those left out going anywhere but downwards rapidly, and if a couple of the superten then went bust that would be a heck of a mess.

#14 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

If the game has to go to 12 or 10 clubs it will be time for RFL/SLE to sort out a Superleague properly instead of leaving it to the clubs to independently sort themselves out with the clubs for SL depending on who has a rich daddy at any given time.

So things like picking the teams strategically and geographically to maximise their resources, and yes giving extra money to clubs who need it to develop and more central control etc.

Because if we went to 10 clubs then I can't see many of those left out going anywhere but downwards rapidly, and if a couple of the superten then went bust that would be a heck of a mess.

Nah , surely the Championship would become more ' Vibrant and worth winning in its own right ' then , that nice Mr Wood said so a couple of years ago , it has to happen eventually , doesnt it ?

#15 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

Nah , surely the Championship would become more ' Vibrant and worth winning in its own right ' then , that nice Mr Wood said so a couple of years ago , it has to happen eventually , doesnt it ?

I take that as tongue in cheek and take your point. I too could only hope the Championship would have become a strong league with the move to 14 clubs. Instead clubs abandoned independence and tied in to Superleague clubs for survival, whilst clubs who were still talking about Superleague have seen their own crowds drop and Leigh spoke of having no money and an "ageing fanbase"

The bad news from Castleford and now HKR isn't going to help the championship, just add more casualties to the trolleys in the championship hospital corridors and maybe push a couple of clubs down into the "League of death". Radical changes are necessary for the game to survive.

If it was a ten club league I'd bet the RFL/SLE would go for Leeds, Hull, Wakefield, Bradford, Toulouse, Les catalans, Salford, Saints, Wire and Wigan. Running to a policy of every resource in the game being pumped into these ten.

The recently stated reluctance of money men at HKR, Widnes, Fartown, Cas, to go on funding deficits forever is IMHO telling....I think some of these people know what;s coming 2015

But I would not be happy with a ten club league one little bit.

#16 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

I take that as tongue in cheek and take your point. I too could only hope the Championship would have become a strong league with the move to 14 clubs. Instead clubs abandoned independence and tied in to Superleague clubs for survival, whilst clubs who were still talking about Superleague have seen their own crowds drop and Leigh spoke of having no money and an "ageing fanbase"

The bad news from Castleford and now HKR isn't going to help the championship, just add more casualties to the trolleys in the championship hospital corridors and maybe push a couple of clubs down into the "League of death". Radical changes are necessary for the game to survive.

If it was a ten club league I'd bet the RFL/SLE would go for Leeds, Hull, Wakefield, Bradford, Toulouse, Les catalans, Salford, Saints, Wire and Wigan. Running to a policy of every resource in the game being pumped into these ten.

The recently stated reluctance of money men at HKR, Widnes, Fartown, Cas, to go on funding deficits forever is IMHO telling....I think some of these people know what;s coming 2015

They dont actually know , the ' Census ' I suggested they do ended up being a similar survey to the one posted on here , with not enough actual information to make any conclusions of any importance

#17 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

As a sport are we setting the sights far to high for it's own good.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#18 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:57 AM

No it wouldn't.

Don't you appreciate a good league needs money?

HKR don't have any so why put them in? You want Wigan to smash them three times a season?

Salford may be the richest club in the Rugby League and they are NOT in??

The strongest area of RL for fans(up to 20,000) and players (20 quality home grown talents) is the Calder area and you've left them all out.

It's a recipe for disaster.

clubs not in my 10 super league would be in a revamped championship....with a one up one down P&R process....

so no one has be "left out".....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#19 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

With this in mind, is it that we only have a talent pool to sustain this many teams?
Would promo and relegation just mean these players changing teams?
Should we look at minimum youth requirements for superleague? Should they be the ones developing geographic areas? At ther cost?
Like someone said, these clubs get all the money, shouldn't they HAVE to create players which can benefit the lower teams aswell?

#20 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

A merger between Leeds and Bradford would be foolish. Neither ground can accommodate the average combined attendance of the clubs. One side, almost certainly leeds, would be seen as the majority partner and Bradford fans would desert inn droves.

Now a Bradford and Huddersfield merger would work. so would a Cas and Trinity merger.

There is no reason why Bradford, Huddersfield, Cas and Trinity couldn't also be the bases for Championship teams, with the Championship returning to a winter season.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police