Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

10 teams?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Two FT tens it has to be then with 1 up 1 down. Dropping from SL to PT with no promotion would kill those clubs as it is killing those in Championship who have ambition

#22 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

As a sport are we setting the sights far to high for it's own good.

I think you have a brilliant point there Marauder.

Wages are set as high as possible to supposedly stop Union and NRL raids, but I fear they get the players they want anyway.

Those games don't need lot's of European RL stars, so it may be that your point is a good one.

Put the cap down and organise 14 clubs who all can spend it and you may have something......

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

clubs not in my 10 super league would be in a revamped championship....with a one up one down P&R process....

so no one has be "left out".....

Point taken.....

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Should we look at minimum youth requirements for superleague? Should they be the ones developing geographic areas? At their cost?
Like someone said, these clubs get all the money, shouldn't they HAVE to create players which can benefit the lower teams as well?

Superleague clubs are already required by the licence to have youth development programmes and some are active in "new" areas at their cost.

They may get "all the money" but it's woefully short in terms of being able to run a professional side and a youth development side to any great degree.

SL clubs produce players that "benefit the lower teams as well" both by cast offs signing for the lower teams and by Dual Reg.

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

A merger between Leeds and Bradford would be foolish. Neither ground can accommodate the average combined attendance of the clubs. One side, almost certainly leeds, would be seen as the majority partner and Bradford fans would desert inn droves.

Now a Bradford and Huddersfield merger would work. so would a Cas and Trinity merger.

There is no reason why Bradford, Huddersfield, Cas and Trinity couldn't also be the bases for Championship teams, with the Championship returning to a winter season.

I love this post because it is realism and radicalism all in one!!

I don't think the calder area could fail to provide a club that could match Leeds Wigan or Hull.

Equally the trip from Fartown to the Shay to Odsal is a relatively small triangle and like calder probably has up to 20,000 RL fans and enough quality players for a near home grown quality 25 man squad.

The thing is in Calder you want castleford and Ponte's juniors, Featherstones Nahaboos money, and Wakefields ground and support.

In Bradhuddersfax you want Fax as a strong junior base, Fartowns ground and Bradfords crowd, Daveys money etc etc.

These two areas really mirror each other.

#26 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

I like the idea of ten team league but I would go with tradition my ten would be bradford, huddersfield, hull fc , hull kr , leeds , st helens , wakefield, warrington, widnes and wigan . Would have top four for play offs with the semis 1v4 2 v4 to be played as a double header at etihad stadium and final at old trafford.

Chief Crazy Eagle