v Hunslet old boys

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

a trip into the unknown unless you follow the pennine leagues were old boys are flying high..They are also having success in the community cups so it will not be easy .Hornets should have enough about them to get through but it won't be easy old boys have nothing to lose and they will come out all guns blazing . We need to get behind the team and cheer them on to victory
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#2 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

It seems like the 'old boys' gave a good account of themselves and likewise many other teams from the lower reaches.  Let's hope for good home draw - St Helens, perhaps?

#3 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

It seems like the 'old boys' gave a good account of themselves and likewise many other teams from the lower reaches. Let's hope for good home draw - St Helens, perhaps?

Good account of themselves!!!!! They where an embarrasment on & off the pitch. The worst I've ever seen in 32 years of watching RL.
All credit to the boys for not getting involved, as the ref coasted through the games missing the nasty stuff but picking up in the technical things.

Did anyone at Spotland spot any stewards this afternoon? Didn't think so!
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#4 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

the thing is they did have some decent players but decided they wanted to try and do what they do on Saturday and bully us when that didn't work they went to the next step and totally lost it . Praise must go to the Hornets players who didn't get drawn into it ,but it must have been difficult to play rugby with all that was going on .The officials were missing so much they might as well not be there . There were stewards there and threw one idiot out who wanted to get on to the pitch near the tunnel to get at the referee when he was stopped from doing that he took a swing at a steward and was grapped and taken out which lead to their bench wanting to get involved with the stewards .Their physio threatening Hornets fans behind the dugout . At the end of the day we are through to the next round and we will not have to play them again
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#5 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Got to agree with boro hornet. I think our lads did well to keep their discipline. I thought that Hunslet OB were a poor advert for the amateur game. It was a pity because when they tried to play rugby they showed they had some decent players. The ref and touch judges missed a lot of nasty stuff.

#6 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Could someone please enlighten me, the referee circled his arm pointing at the Hunslet Old Boys team, now as I understood the new rules, the next infingement should have resulted in a minimum 10 minutes in the bin, am I correct? However on this occasion the referee gave Hornets 3 penalties without binning any Hunslet player. If I am right, this just makes a mockery of the rules, what was the point of the warning?

Hunslet's 15 and 12 should have been marched from the field in the first half, just out and out thugs. I understand the passion of an amatuer side going against a semi pro side, because we have seen plenty of them at Spotland over the years, but this lot were just beyond belief.

Just a footnote, after the match there were two guys going around table to table in the bar apologising for the behavior of the Hunslet OB fans, just shows they were not all bad.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#7 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

Good to hear that a minority of Hunslet fans apologised for the behaviour of their fellow supporters. I had left the bar at that point after an embarrassing and sweary after game speeches by whom I am not sure. Calling the ref a self-abuser in a packed bar of kids, women and supporters was the final straw for me.
I think the ref could have sorted it in the first five minutes and that set a precedent. Gaz Langley was forearmed in the head off the ball in back play and as you say No 12 had lost the plot just as 9 had before half time. A real shame as certain fans and players let the Hunslet Club down yesterday.

I was expecting overzealous support from Hunslet as it’s a big day for the club, but it over stepped the mark for me. Like others I have seen plenty of Amateur clubs in the cup at Spotland who have flown close to the wind on the playing field and that is to be expected. But in every tackle?
Anyway well done to all for not getting involved on and off the field yesterday.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#8 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

I hope that in the cold light of day once the beer goggles have been off for a while some of the Hunslet fans may be a little embarrassed at their behaviour yesterday. I won't hold my breath though.

All in all, this was the worst experience I have had of amateur clubs visiting Spotland and if we ever have this particular bunch again it'll be too soon. Fair dos to the decent fans who felt thy had to apologise for their fellow fans' antics.

On the plus side, well done to the Hornets' players for not getting dragged into this morass and therefore leaving the coach with a weakened squad because of suspensions.

I was very pleased with the way our pack went to work yesterday, they repelled boarders on many occasions and also made the hard yards in attack. Sutton took his tries well but a winger always relies on the right sort of pass from his centre and the the moves for his second half tries were classic, straight forward rugby.

I would just like to say that whatever the stewards got paid yesterday they should give back as they acted like a bunch of neutered individuals by allaowing the vile chants of the Hunslet fans to go on uncheked. They also failed to make the fans sit down despite the fact that in the past they have warned fans of other clubs for similar offences.

Here's hoping for a good draw at home this afternoon.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#9 Ashcroft

Ashcroft
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

I had similar views when Featherstone Rovers were "fortunate" enough to be drawn against this club in the CC last year. Have to say that my views didn't get much support from other Rovers fans who seemed prepared to give the amateur club the benefit of the doubt. Seems like your experience tells a different story.  

I question what the benefit is of allowing so many amateur clubs to compete against the professional clubs in the CC. It's just another game that we could do without and experience tells us that the amateur clubs often do not approach these games in the right spirit.

As for the Spotland stewards, some years ago on my last visit there, they were quite determined in confiscating my son's can of coke but completely ignored offensive behaviour by supporters (sad to say this was a small minority of Rovers supporters). Seems like nothing's changed.    

#10 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

I had similar views when Featherstone Rovers were "fortunate" enough to be drawn against this club in the CC last year. Have to say that my views didn't get much support from other Rovers fans who seemed prepared to give the amateur club the benefit of the doubt. Seems like your experience tells a different story.  

I question what the benefit is of allowing so many amateur clubs to compete against the professional clubs in the CC. It's just another game that we could do without and experience tells us that the amateur clubs often do not approach these games in the right spirit.

As for the Spotland stewards, some years ago on my last visit there, they were quite determined in confiscating my son's can of coke but completely ignored offensive behaviour by supporters (sad to say this was a small minority of Rovers supporters). Seems like nothing's changed.

Don't get me started about the stewards matey!!!

Some years ago now, in the time when the stand opposite the main stand was sti;ll a terrace the main bunch of Hornets fans stood there. Every Christmas we'd do something daft for the Chrissy game and this particular year I bought a shed load of cheap Party Poppers. As I was going in with these things in a carrier bag I was searched for contraband, so I just said these are for when the players come out we'll let them off then. They let me in and about 5 minutes later three of came 'mob-handed' and decided that they weren't allowed as they were 'fireworks'?!?!?!? We argued with them and even pointed out that they had on them 'For indoor use' and for use by 'children over 36 months'. One steward said "You could have someone's eye out with them!"

Eventually they let us have them but we had to agree that the club wasn't to be held responsible for any injuries caused by them?!?!?!?

Whitehaven fans used to have a fancy dress day when they came to Spotland and two lads came as cowboys complete with obviously kids guns and they took the guns off them so they had to use their fingers as guns for the day. You couldn't make stuff like this up!!!

As for the amateur clubs in the Challenge Cup, I think they are needed or we'd have to have loads of byes etc to get the numbers to the 32, 16, etc. In the main most clubs have come to Spotland for 'their Cup Final' and enjoyed the day and both sets of fans have clapped off both teams. Hunslet Old Boys were a different kettle of fish indeed. I think Queens had a bit of a to-do at Doncaster didn't they? Aplogies if I have the wrong team there.

Maybe if the amateur clubs were told that poor behaviour would render them barred for a number of years to make them control their players and fans better?

Pugwash.

Edited by Pugwash, 22 April 2013 - 09:58 AM.
For accuracy.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#11 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Think the club was Queens not Queensbury.

#12 Ashcroft

Ashcroft
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Correct. Another club from the Leeds area. Theme ? Coincidence ? Not sure. Just think that the RFL gives the amateur clubs too much involvement for no obvious beneficial reason. 

#13 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

I've now edited my post for accuracy.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#14 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Its hard to believe but none of the old boys players have had any sort of punishment handed out to them by the rugby league.

Just what sort of crimes do players have to commit before being given bans.

After the disgraceful scenes set by the Hunslet old boys I expected the RL to throw the book at them :rolleyes:

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#15 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Not even the guy who was red carded??

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#16 DaveButt

DaveButt
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Been reading the League Express earlier and read that none of the four Hunslet thugs were punished.
You can punch someone etc, as they did, no punishment
Yet someone was up for tripping and he got a one game ban.
Thats our Rugby League boffs for you

#17 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

The RFL has no Powers with a BARLA Team its down to there Regional Leagues to issue Bans etc even in a RFL Competition, they can withdraw there invite to that Team from future Challenge Cup Competitions !

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

Andy 'Ghosty' Rogose is Ghostbuster

(Vice Chairman Rochdale Fijian Association) (Member Rochdale Mayfield A.R.L.F.C)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users