Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

our international team almost 20 years on

gb94 v eng2013

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I actually think BB has a point about Hall - it is quite rare to see him round his winger or do anything blistering - but we shouldn't play down the quality of his close finishes. Kevin Penny has scored some unbelievable tries, but he is not a patch on Hall.

The quality of his finishes is actually genuine world class, Offiah couldn't do that - they are different style wingers with different strengths.

I loved (hated) watching Offiah play though, the bloke is a legend. 

#42 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

How about either if Germain McGillvary's tries this weekend? Especially his first?

#43 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,204 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Offiah would get a game in any era. He was a genius. He had very good hands as well, if he ever needed to use them.

#44 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

thanks- was on bout wingers in particular though- the speed mercharts and rubber men were much more entertaining than the line dodging corner flag bull dozers

You can call them entertaining, but they weren't better. Also Hall isn't slow, I bet he could run 100m within a second of the names you named.

Halls the best finisher in the world which is what Wingers are on the pitch for. You don't get four points for side stepping a couple of players.

#45 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

You can call them entertaining, but they weren't better. Also Hall isn't slow, I bet he could run 100m within a second of the names you named.

Halls the best finisher in the world which is what Wingers are on the pitch for. You don't get four points for side stepping a couple of players.

I doubt Hall would be within a second of Offiah over 100 yards.
Who said Hall is the best finisher in the World? his team mates? "WBW" he must cringe every time he hears that nickname.

#46 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Who said Hall is the best finisher in the World? his team mates? "WBW" he must cringe every time he hears that nickname.

Lee Oudenryn ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

#47 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Offiah would get a game in any era. He was a genius. He had very good hands as well, if he ever needed to use them.

I'm not going to argue with you EW.

rldfsignature.jpg

#48 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Lee Oudenryn ;)

Ah but there were bets on that race Pom. (allegedly)
ET run Chariots down from memory.
Hall does not have the build to be in the same speed as Offiah, the only big man (in his era) that had pace to burn over 100 yards that was as quick as the smaller sprinters was Eric Grothe.
He was raw energy and the crowd jumped to their feet as he went through the gears with pace and power.
Best Winger I have ever seen.

O'Conner was no slouch

Edited by AndyCapp, 09 April 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#49 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Just out of interest.
This was the Australian Team in 1994
My ratings are based on career more than a point in time.

Brett Mullins 8
Andrew Ettingshausen 8
Mal Meninga ©10
Steve Renouf 9
Rod Wishart 7
Laurie Daley 9
Ricky Stuart 8
Glenn Lazarus9
Steve Walters 8
Ian Roberts 8
Dean Pay 8
Bradley Clyde 9
Brad Fittler 9

Reserves
Greg Florimo 7
Allan Langer 8
Paul Sironen 7

If there had been an extra reserve rated at 7.5 it would be a total of

Edited by AndyCapp, 09 April 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#50 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Martin Offiah was pushed into touch by ET in that first Test in Sydney, but outpaced the latter with ease in Melbourne.

If Offiah was not a genius of a winger, then there has never been one in the history of the game. His try to clinch the championship for Widnes at Naughton Park is one of the most thrilling things this game will ever see. He starred for both St George and the Roosters, and seeing him in that Sevens tournament at the Sydney Football Stadium destroying a star-studded Brisbane Broncos team all on his own was almost comical.

Ryan Hall has improved and as an all-rounder - safe under the high ball, hard-working when running the ball from his own goal line, putting away a very high percentage of half-chances - he is superbly accomplished... but he isn't a natural side-stepper or in possession of a body swerve and his pace - whether off the mark, or over a long distance - is well below that of many of the game's greats. He's cemented that England left wing spot for now, but I do not think we are in an era of great wing play.

As for Eric "Guru" Grothe, he was as frightening in his own way on that left flank for the 1982 Kangaroos as the mighty Meninga was in the centres. He destroyed some very good wingers on that tour, and did it all with the absolute minimum of fuss.

#51 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

The defence for that try was truly shocking.

rldfsignature.jpg

#52 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

The defence for that try was truly shocking.

If so, then the GB team the year before - not too mention the club sides - produced more than their fair share of "shocking" tackles against the likes of Eric Grothe.

Edited by trakl, 09 April 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#53 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

If so, then the GB team the year before - not too mention the club sides - produced more than their fair share of "shocking" tackles against the likes of Eric Grothe.

I'm not saying they didn't. There must be better examples of Grothe's prowess than that. Do you think it was good defence? If your team tackled like that would you be happy?

rldfsignature.jpg

#54 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm not saying they didn't. There must be better examples of Grothe's prowess than that. Do you think it was good defence? If your team tackled like that would you be happy?

Sometimes tackles are missed not because they are bad tackles or bad tacklers, but because the attacker just might happen to be more talented. Precisely because I saw Eric Grothe destroy the likes of Des Drummond the year before on the 1982 Kangaroo tour - played 22, won 22 - I recognise the above clip as an example of Grothe's genius rather than as a series of "shocking" tackles.

I wasn't happy to see Grothe and Meninga and Pearce and Kenny and Sterling destoy GB - but, in retrospect, I am very happy to have seen Tests featuring perhaps the sport's most legendary touring team of all.

#55 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

There are not many videos of decent quality of Grothe around.
There is a far grainier version of this where Grothe commentates and says it was no big deal he came inside and went against the grain and just went over.
I remember seeing this try at the time and it looked like he beat half of the team to get there.

On the second clip O'Conner said he saw Grothe looming up in cover and ###### himself and give it a last spurt to get over the line.

In full flight he was a monster in the mold of Inglis.
He ran down the sideline for Leeds in one game shrugging off plenty of defense from inside his own half to score.

Edited by AndyCapp, 09 April 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#56 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

There are not many videos of decent quality of Grothe around.

isn't there one of him playing for Parra, I think at the SCG, where he shoots down the left wing and fends a couple of would be tacklers off on a sixty(?) metre run? 

rldfsignature.jpg

#57 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

isn't there one of him playing for Parra, I think at the SCG, where he shoots down the left wing and fends a couple of would be tacklers off on a sixty(?) metre run?

This one?

Edited by AndyCapp, 09 April 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#58 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Probably, a little further and less would be tacklers than I remember. You'll be old one day AC ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

#59 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Probably, a little further and less would be tacklers than I remember. You'll be old one day AC ;)

I am old now Mate,
I was at "Cumberland Stadium" when Brett Kenny got the "Rookie" of the year award after that seasons last game at home.

:-)

#60 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Who's a better winger than Hall? And there isn't much point in debating speeds of both players unless they both have recorded 100m times.