Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who do you want?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Cup draw is at 3.30 today. I would prefer Hunslet, York or Keighley at home. Games which we should win, have a reasonable crowd and give a better chance of drawing a "big" club in the next round.

#2 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Cas at home. A chance of an upset, at least in theory, which should hopefully wet supporters appetites, and result in a 3k crowd.

If not, one of the lower league clubs at home.

#3 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Anyone at home except London, catalans or Salford as dont think they will bring any support. Anyone else l think we could either beat or get a decent crowd.

#4 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Dewsbury at home!

#5 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Toulouse away

#6 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Warrington or leeds at the mount but to cause a shock cas

#7 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Anyone wanting a Superleague club in the next (4th) round and expecting a bumper crowd at home is deluded. The hardcore (400) of Batley fans were on show yesterday for what was always going to be a walkover against Gateshead with an all pay gate.

Any Superleague club drawn, will probably take the opportunity to rest key players. The majority of supporters of the Superleague club will not be interested, at the prospects of seeing a 2nd string team and paying £15 for the privilege IMHO.

Therefore, I would prefer to see one of the lower teams drawn, home or away next round. Which will not distract the focus from the league.

Then hope for a big draw at home. Or the likes of Cas/Salfords with a chance of an upset in Round 5. (Either way the game has to be marketed properly...)

#8 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Come on rab... Leeds or wigan at home would be 3 - 4 k crowd... And great for the club. Even bradford or hull would bring plenty too

#9 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Anyone wanting a Superleague club in the next (4th) round and expecting a bumper crowd at home is deluded. The hardcore (400) of Batley fans were on show yesterday for what was always going to be a walkover against Gateshead with an all pay gate.

Any Superleague club drawn, will probably take the opportunity to rest key players. The majority of supporters of the Superleague club will not be interested, at the prospects of seeing a 2nd string team and paying £15 for the privilege IMHO.

Therefore, I would prefer to see one of the lower teams drawn, home or away next round. Which will not distract the focus from the league.

Then hope for a big draw at home. Or the likes of Cas/Salfords with a chance of an upset in Round 5. (Either way the game has to be marketed properly...)

Unduly pessimistic I think. It all depends on what a bumper crowd would be. Sadly, I reckon anything above 2500+ would be welcome.

Also, don't judge the number of diehards we have compared to those a SL club have, As Henry states above, against a Wigan or Leeds we would almost certainly achieve our aim of bumper crowds. It might be even better of course to be drawn away at a top club and go down heroically with a 50% split of the gate. (Mind you, we might sell an awful lot of pies  to a couple of thousand Wigan supporters!

Almost off topic, but does anyone recall what was the crowd when we played Wigan at home in the 80's? (or was it the 90's?)

Edited by distantdog, 08 April 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#10 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hudds at home

#11 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hudds at home

Will be interesting to see the attendance of this..

and how the duel reg will work...?

#12 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

You better not beat them guys or your DR partnership will be terminated 😄😄😄. On a serious note hope you do em guys and good luck.

#13 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Will be interesting to see the attendance of this..

and how the duel reg will work...?

I don't think there will be any dual reg, so not an issue.

#14 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

I don't think there will be any dual reg, so not an issue.

How can you be sure? Greg Johnson played for Batley yesterday to cover Potts.

What if we get injuries on the lead up to the game?

#15 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Greg Johnson is not on Dual Reg

http://www.thepressn...ils.asp?id=8314

Edited by distantdog, 08 April 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#16 allaboutbatley

allaboutbatley
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

So far this year I believe the only Huddersfield DR player we have played in a competitive match is Anthony Mulally in the Workington game. Could be wrong though.

Huddersfield should beat us comfortably but you never know. I'm looking forward to it.

AAB_Small_500x67.jpg

#17 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Your quite correct, although we used 4 in a pre season friendly at home to fax to give them a run out.

I suspect we might have used Mullally or Fairbank in recent weeks had they not been selected in the Giants first team squad.

Good draw for us...decent gate and a very outside chance of a shock. Giants should win comfortably on paper and may well do, but who can forget the game 2 years ago.

#18 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

So far this year I believe the only Huddersfield DR player we have played in a competitive match is Anthony Mulally in the Workington game. Could be wrong though.

Huddersfield should beat us comfortably but you never know. I'm looking forward to it.

You wasnt there two year ago when we should of won then! Hopefully mr challenge cup john kear gets the lads up for this in my eyes we owe them one for that

#19 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Huddersfield fans on the rlfans forum seem ok with the draw. They know they have to take us seriously and we should get a reasonable crowd and its another chance to keep em quiet :)

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#20 allaboutbatley

allaboutbatley
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

I was there when Manning got sent off in the last 10 mins when we were leading. and they got 2 tries after that. and last year I honestly think we were the best team against the Broncos but it wasn't to be. I do think a draw against the any of the bottom 4 SL teams would have been a good draw as they would have to take us seriously. 

IMO the gap between Bottom 4 in SL and top 5 in Championship isn't as big as it used to be.

Hopefully we have a good day and Huddersfield have a bad one. :)

AAB_Small_500x67.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users