Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Thatcher - Has passed away.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
402 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Died this morning apparently.

Lock the forum now?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Temporary lock until we can think about moderating rules...

Any other threads will be automatically deleted regardless of content or quality.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Right folks, here's how this is going to work.

Myself and ckn, as moderators on here, have agreed this policy between us as a means of attempting to keep things as civil as possible on here on what will be a very emotive subject for a lot of people on all sides of the 'debate'. Please help us do that by following the advice below.

1. The Terms & Conditions of Use will be RIGIDLY applied here. Please take five minutes of your time to read them in full (see below) and ensure that ANYTHING you post in this thread abides by them, PARTICULARLY those bits highlighted in BOLD.

2. If you post ANYTHING here deemed to break the Terms & Conditions, your post will be deleted and your use of the forum will be suspended for a period of 7 days for 'cooling off' without warning. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure your posts meet the T&Cs, not our responsibility to check that they do.

3. We will start a seperate thread titled 'Thatcherism' where you can debate the politics rather than the personality. However, exactly the same rules will apply in that thread as in here.

4. Moderators may move your comments from this thread to the 'Thatcherism' thread if we deem it appropriate.

TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE

Last Updated 8th Feb 2013: Your use of these forums constitutes your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. League Publications Ltd (LPL) reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time by posting changes here. Your continued use of the site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of this agreement as modified by the posted changes.

You agree to use the site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of this site by any third party. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or League Publications Ltd.

These Terms & Conditions apply in full to all communications made on this site, whether in the public forums or via the Private Messaging system.

All contributions must be civil and tasteful.

No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour. Contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.

No unlawful or objectionable content. Unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.

If you attempt to use multiple logins for the purpose of disrupting the forum or annoying other users, use the personal details of another individual to register one or more accounts, or deliberately swap your username with someone else for the same purpose, your account may be disabled without warning.

No spamming or off-topic material.

No advertising without prior permission.

No inappropriate (e.g. vulgar, offensive etc) user names, or usernames which are an attempt to impersonate another individual.

We reserve the right to issue warnings and/or temporarily/permanently suspend access to all or part of the site if any of the above conditions are infringed.

We reserve the right to request a user to validate their identity by post in order to continue using the forum.

All users accept complete and total responsibility for any potentially harmful, libelous or other legally actionable comments and that they indemnify League Publications Ltd to the total extent of any and all costs, settlements and judgements involved with defending any legal claim against their posts.

If these Terms and Conditions are not accepted in full, your use of the site must be terminated immediately.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Has the internet exploded yet? I tell you what, it does feel very odd that she's no longer around, like her or not (and I didn't).

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

CNN's choice of picture for the news. :unsure:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Its going to be an interesting few days...

#7 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

RLFans is filling up with posters all vying with each other to be the most offensive and to prove they hated her more than anyone else.

The first two pages there entirely justify the moderating postion here.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#8 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

RLFans is filling up with posters all vying with each other to be the most offensive

And then this news broke....! 

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#9 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Bdum

Tish

Here all week :D

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

:lol:

I'll officially rule myself out of this discussion, on the basis that both people I agree and disagree with are likely to embarrass themselves in reaction to this news.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Meeting my mates for a few drinks.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Love it! :D (I really hope this isn't the time the quote function goes down or I could find myself in trouble)

As it's i) political and ii) grown up, I'll sit this one out. I'm only a young un and she was a figure from the past when I was growing up. And like most things, something I know very little of. Still, it might make interesting reading.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Just heard a loud whoop from next door.

They must have heard the news.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#14 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Taking the afternoon off to meet my dad for a celebratory drink. He's needed cheering up recently, so this'll be just the thing.

I won't be indulging in the debate, we've had it all before and no-one's going to change their opinion now she's finally gone.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#15 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Taking the afternoon off to meet my dad for a celebratory drink. He's needed cheering up recently, so this'll be just the thing.

I won't be indulging in the debate, we've had it all before and no-one's going to change their opinion now she's finally gone.

True.

I doubt if anyone is occupying the middle ground.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Again, while I know nowt, the reactions already (non-thread too) are almost an education on that time in itself.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

While I appreciate that, to put it mildly she isn't everyone's favorite political figure, I'd like to quote my mum (who isn't dyed in the wool blue or red)

"When Thatcher became Prime Minister, it made me realize that, as a woman, I could do any job I wanted"

Regardless of politics that is a powerful sentiment.

My sympathies to her family.

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Asking as I don't know: is it usual for funerals of PMs to be as grand as this one sound like it will be?

Yes or no is all I need
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Asking as I don't know: is it usual for funerals of PMs to be as grand as this one sound like it will be?

Yes or no is all I need

Churchill's funeral was enormous, involving a boat trip on the Thames.

Every other PM in my lifetime; nothing much.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Elton John's doing his warmups, scales and arpeggios as he waits for the phone to ring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users