Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Thatcher - Has passed away.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
402 replies to this topic

#21 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

With the moderation rules I have this to offer

Cummins Out.

#22 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I thought she did what needed to be done at the time.  Had Thatcher not been our PM back then we would still be living in the 1970s, God help us.

#23 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,564 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

If your friend, she was utterly ruthless in protecting you.  If your enemy or an opponent, she was utterly ruthless in defeating you.  Unfortunately for most of my upbringing she was an opponent of my community and culture.

I won't shed a tear at her passing having spent many of my formative years growing up in devastated mining communities.  That said, I won't be celebrating either, it was 23 years ago she left power, that's a long time to hold on to hatred as so many people have done.  The old saying of "forgive but never forget" couldn't be more true in my attitude towards her.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#24 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

True.

I doubt if anyone is occupying the middle ground.

Just me.

To some she was the saviour of Britain and other she was Satan incarnate. Like most people she was somewhere in the middle. A human, not a particularly humane one but a human nonetheless. RIP.

#25 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Ullman mentioned a whoop from his next door neighbour, but I was a bit wary of the reaction of the next person I was likely to see. I was in my delivery van, listening to music on the radio, when I thought I'd switch over to Radio Scotland for the forthcoming news. What I heard was "...cher passed away today after a stroke." I thought the name could have been Fletcher, but wasn't sure. Anyway, I delivered the mail to the next cottage, and then got back into the can to drive to the next address - which, coincidently, happened to be the home of the brother of a Tory MP (for somewhere down south). As I needed to knock on the door, I had to decide on what I would say if he or his wife were visibly upset - I'd just offer my sympathies in a general sense and not get drawn into the politics of it all, or her greatness (or otherwise). As it turned out the gentleman was in the garden and was very cheery and chatty! Either he hadn't heard the news or he doesn't share his brother's political views.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

True.

I doubt if anyone is occupying the middle ground.

I am. I was too young to have any knowledge of politics when she was still in power, and her death now will have no bearing on what the current politicians do. I'll not mourn her, but I'll also not celebrate her death.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

There's been some right old horrors from the past crawling out of the woodwork to have their say on the radio.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#28 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

There's been some right old horrors from the past crawling out of the woodwork to have their say on the radio.

I stuck Five Live on in the car on the way to and from the swimming baths this afternoon. It was wall to wall gushing tributes. So, I turned it off.

For those who disliked her politics it will be a difficult few days/weeks. Probably best to try and avoid the media.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#29 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

i got a txt that just said "ding dong"
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,134 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

I feel indifferent

it what sh did when she was alive that stirs my feelings.

As Futtocks alluded, we're going to cop it now.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#31 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

From the Beeb:

1702: Tony Gallagher Daily Telegraph editor tweets: We have closed comments on every #Thatcher story today - even our address to email tributes is filled with abuse.

It's a shame many of her opponents can't express themselves with the kind of eloquence her admirers seem to find easy. More people might listen to what they had to say.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#32 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

It will be a cold day in hell soon, Apparently she has already shut down two furnaces.

#33 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

i got a txt that just said "ding dong"

(the witch is dead)

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#34 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

If your friend, she was utterly ruthless in protecting you.  If your enemy or an opponent, she was utterly ruthless in defeating you.  Unfortunately for most of my upbringing she was an opponent of my community and culture.

I won't shed a tear at her passing having spent many of my formative years growing up in devastated mining communities.  That said, I won't be celebrating either, it was 23 years ago she left power, that's a long time to hold on to hatred as so many people have done.  The old saying of "forgive but never forget" couldn't be more true in my attitude towards her.

Craig, I have never associated you with a mining background.

Where did you grow up, if you don't mind me asking?

#35 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

From the Beeb:

1702: Tony Gallagher Daily Telegraph editor tweets: We have closed comments on every #Thatcher story today - even our address to email tributes is filled with abuse.

It's a shame many of her opponents can't express themselves with the kind of eloquence her admirers seem to find easy. More people might listen to what they had to say.

One of my friends who is a very devout Christian is being somewhat less than Christian in his attitude to this. Sadly this subject seems to have brought out the worst in some people.

#36 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

#37 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

From the Beeb:

I totally agree with this. Politics by its nature can be divisive, but to respond to Thatcher's death with gushing hatred doesn't achieve anything, as far as I can see.

Hatred is always self destructive, and also self-revealing.

The reality is that Thatcher was a child of her time. The country in the late 70s was in massive trouble, as those who lived through it should be able to remember. If you can't see that, you shoudl read the autobiographies of some of the politicians who were in power under James Callaghan, such as Denis Healey, to see how helpless they felt. Radical change was needed and, whether you liked it or not, Thatcher was the only one offering it.

Sometimes a politician just catches the mood of the electorate, as she did in 1979, Attlee did in 1945 and Blair did in 1997.

#38 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Martyn Sadler, on 08 Apr 2013 - 18:08, said:
I totally agree with this. Politics by its nature can be divisive, but to respond to Thatcher's death with gushing hatred doesn't achieve anything, as far as I can see.

I was chatting to a friend of mine earlier, who is about as 'left' as they come. This was his attitude exactly - criticize her policies and point out where she went wrong (in the eyes of those of a left-leaning persuasion, at least), but don't attack her personally. Once you do that you've lost the argument and not got your deep-held beliefs across.

It would be nice to see a bit more criticism of her politics in the media, though, rather than endless tributes from weeping Tories and Henry Kissinger. Perhaps that will come over time, once the hysteria has died down. I certainly hope so. I for one don't swallow the "she saved the country" line, as peddled out by Call Me Dave today. She fundamentally changed it, yes, but not all her reforms and changes were necessarily for the best. Besides, what's to say the country would have been "saved" (if it needed saving) under a different Tory leader or a Labour government?
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#39 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

The reality is that Thatcher was a child of her time. The country in the late 70s was in massive trouble, as those who lived through it should be able to remember. If you can't see that, you shoudl read the autobiographies of some of the politicians who were in power under James Callaghan, such as Denis Healey, to see how helpless they felt. Radical change was needed and, whether you liked it or not, Thatcher was the only one offering it.

Sometimes a politician just catches the mood of the electorate, as she did in 1979, Attlee did in 1945 and Blair did in 1997.

The response to her death isn't about 'achieving anything'. It's a vent for those who were adversely affected by her, and also against the gushing nonsense we've been subjected to by the media so far today.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#40 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

she had a big impact on my and my fathers life and we will shed no tears for her.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users