Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Thatcher - Has passed away.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
402 replies to this topic

#41 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,827 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

I was chatting to a friend of mine earlier, who is about as 'left' as they come. This was his attitude exactly - criticize her policies and point out where she went wrong (in the eyes of those of a left-leaning persuasion, at least), but don't attack her personally. Once you do that you've lost the argument and not got your deep-held beliefs across.

It would be nice to see a bit more criticism of her politics in the media, though, rather than endless tributes from weeping Tories and Henry Kissinger. Perhaps that will come over time, once the hysteria has died down. I certainly hope so. I for one don't swallow the "she saved the country" line, as peddled out by Call Me Dave today. She fundamentally changed it, yes, but not all her reforms and changes were necessarily for the best. Besides, what's to say the country would have been "saved" (if it needed saving) under a different Tory leader or a Labour government?

On the day that someone dies you usually find their legacy is treated with almost exaggerated respect, although I did hear Tony Benn strongly criticising her on 5Live today when I tuned in for the Challenge Cup draw that was then not broadcast at the appointed time. That was rather funny, because I also remember some years ago when Enoch Powell died, Tony Benn speaking quite gushingly about him, believe it or not.

You put your finger on a good point, though.

How can we possibly know what might have happened if Jim Callaghan had won the 1979 election, and Thatcher had never come to power?

How different would things have been today, either for the better or worse?

Interesting to speculate, but impossible to answer.

#42 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

when i got home the wife was sobbing un controllobly just saying "thatchers gone, thatchers gone" i said dont worry theres a case of bulmers under the stairs!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#43 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Temporary lock until we can think about moderating rules...

Any other threads will be automatically deleted regardless of content or quality.

Right folks, here's how this is going to work.

Myself and ckn, as moderators on here, have agreed this policy between us as a means of attempting to keep things as civil as possible on here on what will be a very emotive subject for a lot of people on all sides of the 'debate'. Please help us do that by following the advice below.

1. The Terms & Conditions of Use will be RIGIDLY applied here. Please take five minutes of your time to read them in full (see below) and ensure that ANYTHING you post in this thread abides by them, PARTICULARLY those bits highlighted in BOLD.

2. If you post ANYTHING here deemed to break the Terms & Conditions, your post will be deleted and your use of the forum will be suspended for a period of 7 days for 'cooling off' without warning. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure your posts meet the T&Cs, not our responsibility to check that they do.

3. We will start a seperate thread titled 'Thatcherism' where you can debate the politics rather than the personality. However, exactly the same rules will apply in that thread as in here.

4. Moderators may move your comments from this thread to the 'Thatcherism' thread if we deem it appropriate.

TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE

Last Updated 8th Feb 2013: Your use of these forums constitutes your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. League Publications Ltd (LPL) reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time by posting changes here. Your continued use of the site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of this agreement as modified by the posted changes.

You agree to use the site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of this site by any third party. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or League Publications Ltd.

These Terms & Conditions apply in full to all communications made on this site, whether in the public forums or via the Private Messaging system.

All contributions must be civil and tasteful.

No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour. Contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.

No unlawful or objectionable content. Unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.

If you attempt to use multiple logins for the purpose of disrupting the forum or annoying other users, use the personal details of another individual to register one or more accounts, or deliberately swap your username with someone else for the same purpose, your account may be disabled without warning.

No spamming or off-topic material.

No advertising without prior permission.

No inappropriate (e.g. vulgar, offensive etc) user names, or usernames which are an attempt to impersonate another individual.

We reserve the right to issue warnings and/or temporarily/permanently suspend access to all or part of the site if any of the above conditions are infringed.

We reserve the right to request a user to validate their identity by post in order to continue using the forum.

All users accept complete and total responsibility for any potentially harmful, libelous or other legally actionable comments and that they indemnify League Publications Ltd to the total extent of any and all costs, settlements and judgements involved with defending any legal claim against their posts.

If these Terms and Conditions are not accepted in full, your use of the site must be terminated immediately.

Lets face the fact that you have had to issue this caution say's it all
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#44 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

A lot of the extreme reaction would have already died away if it were not for the horrendous air-brushing of history going on as we speak. I'm sure a more considered reaction from the media will come, but saviour of the nation launched my own 10 minute rant about the evils she committed.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#45 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

The One in Twelve Club is apparently opening tonight for an evening of mourning and reflection.

If members are in before 10pm, it's free drinks afterwards.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#46 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I wonder if Mark Thatcher has been on the phone yet to Cameron; to ask whether the UK Government will pay for his flight and hotel.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#47 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

The cynic in me thinks with this flooding of programmes on tv they have been sat on the shelf for a wee while.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#48 barrowbob

barrowbob
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Being from a shipbuilding town she tried to destroy, I only seen happy smiling faces today at work today.
No love for maggie in barrow

#49 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

http://www.guardian....death-etiquette

#50 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

First off, I was brought up not speak ill of the dead regardless of their politics

Secondly, as an callow youth heading down the South Atlantic to the Falklands I would like to echo Simon Weston who said agree with her policies or not we were bloody glad she was in charge during that conflict.

Edited by John Drake, 08 April 2013 - 08:40 PM.
Off topic comments removed

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#51 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,165 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

http://www.guardian....death-etiquette

He's an idiot.

There is a distinction between not speaking of ill of the dead (which is nonsense) and celebrating their death (which is distasteful).

I can understand that for some the 1980s was painful enough that they might find this difficult to follow in practice but it's the so-and-sos that weren't really affected by it that just need to vent that are a bit much.

#52 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

He's an idiot.

There is a distinction between not speaking of ill of the dead (which is nonsense) and celebrating their death (which is distasteful).

I can understand that for some the 1980s was painful enough that they might find this difficult to follow in practice but it's the so-and-sos that weren't really affected by it that just need to vent that are a bit much.

I disagree the negative critique of her (of which there is a lot) should not be suppressed otherwise the outcome will be to distort history.

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 08 April 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#53 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Absolutely no time for her whatsoever, but she has family and friends who will mourn her departure and for them I am sure the loss is no less than that felt by your average bloke down the pub in similar circumstances.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#54 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

she had a big impact on my and my fathers life and we will shed no tears for her.

my father,my brother, and many of my cousins

and no I wont either.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#55 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,165 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

I disagree the negative critique of her (of which there is a lot) should not be suppressed otherwise the outcome will be to distort history.

Negative critique is one thing but celebration is another.

#56 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Some of the comments that may have been moderated quite strongly if posted on here.

I saw one young lady on telly earlier who looked, at the oldest, 25.  She was celebrating as if she'd won the lottery.  What a sad life she must lead.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#57 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

Being from a shipbuilding town she tried to destroy, I only seen happy smiling faces today at work today.
No love for maggie in barrow

thatcher saved your town.
The Trident programme was a Thatcher policy.
Keeping it local

#58 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,827 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

The response to her death isn't about 'achieving anything'. It's a vent for those who were adversely affected by her, and also against the gushing nonsense we've been subjected to by the media so far today.

What's really quite interesting is how the most prominent reactions of that sort are coming from people who have actually been very positively affected by Thatcher throughout their careers. Comedians and various other celebrities who have made a comfortable career out of opposing what she supposedly stood for, even though some of them are too young to remember what life was like before she came to power.

A reasoned critique of Thatcher and her policies is one thing, and should be welcomed, but to spew out vile insults on Twitter or other social media, and to want to be seen to be doing that to curry favour with their supposed audience, is pathetic, in my view.

#59 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

What's really quite interesting is how the most prominent reactions of that sort are coming from people who have actually been very positively affected by Thatcher throughout their careers. Comedians and various other celebrities who have made a comfortable career out of opposing what she supposedly stood for, even though some of them are too young to remember what life was like before she came to power.

A reasoned critique of Thatcher and her policies is one thing, and should be welcomed, but to spew out vile insults on Twitter or other social media, and to want to be seen to be doing that to curry favour with their supposed audience, is pathetic, in my view.

Tony Benn pretty much does that Martyn
I'm trying to find the quotes, but what he says rises above the emetic, hysterical dross.
Keeping it local

#60 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,827 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

thatcher saved your town.
The Trident programme was a Thatcher policy.

Yes, I also thought that was a surprising claim to make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users