Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Thatcherism - The Political Debate Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
324 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

This thread is to debate the politics of 'Thatcherism' not the person. Stay on topic, and follow the rules we have set out below.

1. The Terms & Conditions of Use will be RIGIDLY applied here. Please take five minutes of your time to read them in full (see below) and ensure that ANYTHING you post in this thread abides by them, PARTICULARLY those bits highlighted in BOLD.

2. If you post ANYTHING here deemed to break the Terms & Conditions, your post will be deleted and your use of the forum will be suspended for a period of 7 days for 'cooling off' without warning. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure your posts meet the T&Cs, not our responsibility to check that they do.

TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE

Last Updated 8th Feb 2013: Your use of these forums constitutes your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. League Publications Ltd (LPL) reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time by posting changes here. Your continued use of the site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of this agreement as modified by the posted changes.

You agree to use the site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of this site by any third party. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or League Publications Ltd.

These Terms & Conditions apply in full to all communications made on this site, whether in the public forums or via the Private Messaging system.

All contributions must be civil and tasteful.

No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour. Contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.

No unlawful or objectionable content. Unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.

If you attempt to use multiple logins for the purpose of disrupting the forum or annoying other users, use the personal details of another individual to register one or more accounts, or deliberately swap your username with someone else for the same purpose, your account may be disabled without warning.

No spamming or off-topic material.

No advertising without prior permission.

No inappropriate (e.g. vulgar, offensive etc) user names, or usernames which are an attempt to impersonate another individual.

We reserve the right to issue warnings and/or temporarily/permanently suspend access to all or part of the site if any of the above conditions are infringed.

We reserve the right to request a user to validate their identity by post in order to continue using the forum.

All users accept complete and total responsibility for any potentially harmful, libelous or other legally actionable comments and that they indemnify League Publications Ltd to the total extent of any and all costs, settlements and judgements involved with defending any legal claim against their posts.

If these Terms and Conditions are not accepted in full, your use of the site must be terminated immediately.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

You must be a glutton for punishment!
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#3 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Good luck keeping this one on track!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#4 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

It's going well so far. :D

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

A lot of the world problems today both economic and geopolitics can be laid at the feet of the former "leaders of the free world" Ronald Reagan and Margaret thatcher.

#6 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

You've got us all terrified John, they have similar posting restrictions in North Korea I believe.

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

You've got us all terrified John, they have similar posting restrictions in North Korea I believe.

Count yourself lucky I don't have nuclear weapons at my disposal. :D

Seriously though, all I've done today is ask people to abide by the normal T&Cs, which most people manage all the time every day of the year on here without even thinking about it.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#8 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

q. so whats it like living in north korea then mate?
a. oh well... i cant complain.
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#9 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I'll start then. Swindon was an industrial town with most of the workforce building/repairing trains until British Rail closed it. Swindon was reinvented by Thatcherism and became the fastest growing Town in Europe. I know there are towns which "died" when their industries were taken away but Thatcherism kept Swindon from going under.

I know there are plenty of people on here who experienced the other side of Thatcherism but it worked in my home town.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 08 April 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#10 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

the greedy grabbing privatised money driven companys of today are all a result of thatcherism, she didnt die this morning because she couldnt afford to put the heating on did she?
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#11 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

A lot of the world problems today both economic and geopolitics can be laid at the feet of the former "leaders of the free world" Ronald Reagan and Margaret thatcher.

Excellent point

The housing boom bust bubble - MIRAS yeh great idea for very short term popularity gain

The welfare dependant generations - allow massive unemployment to happen thus creating a new generation of youngsters with no hope of earning a decent living wage.

Are but two if Thatcher's achievements - although to be fair she was aided and abetted by a labour movement of the time who were totally out of touch with the new affluent working society that emerged from the 70s

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

I thought she did what needed to be done at the time.  Had Thatcher not been our PM back then we would still be living in the 1970s, God help us.

But did it need to be done that way?

For suew

the UK's 'smokestack indutsrys' were obsolete.

workers and management were at each others thtoats

the products that those workers an managements were expected to produce were garbage.

But

Do you think the financial industry needed deregulating?

public transport turndinto a free for all.

Did we need section 28?

do yu think that creating post industrial Britain could hav been carrid out a little more constructively and less vindictively?

We certainly needed to retake the Falklands, but why did we need to in the first place. How did the planned defence cuts help this task?

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 April 2013 - 05:01 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Keeping it local

#14 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Excellent point

The housing boom bust bubble - MIRAS yeh great idea for very short term popularity gain

The welfare dependant generations - allow massive unemployment to happen thus creating a new generation of youngsters with no hope of earning a decent living wage.

Are but two if Thatcher's achievements - although to be fair she was aided and abetted by a labour movement of the time who were totally out of touch with the new affluent working society that emerged from the 70s

Not sure why you've picked MIRAS, to be honest. Someone will probably correct me, but I thought there was tax relief on the interest paid on mortgages before MIRAS. All it did was alter the way it was paid - 'at source'. It was popular among almost everyone trying to buy a house.

Was this down to Thatcherism, or just the changing nature of global industry, for which we were unprepared.

Your third point is interesting. Thatcherism could not have happened if the Labour party had been able to offer a credible alternative.

What is most disappointing is that we have still not dealt with the fallout of Thatcherism in an effective way. We need new skills, new opportunities, a new outlook. I'm beggared if I know how to achieve that, though.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Keeping it local

#16 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Have any of these people who are gushing in her praise mentioned her friendship with Pinochet?

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 08 April 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#17 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Have any of these people who are gushing in her praise mentioned her friendship with Pinochet?

I remember one of the tabloids headlines (can't remember which one) "fascist dictator meets General Pinochet"

#18 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

No comment I dont want to be banned
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

But did it need to be done that way?

For suew

the UK's 'smokestack indutsrys' were obsolete.

workers and management were at each others thtoats

the products that those workers an managements were expected to produce were garbage.

But

Do you think the financial industry needed deregulating?

public transport turndinto a free for all.

Did we need section 28?

do yu think that creating post industrial Britain could hav been carrid out a little more constructively and less vindictively?

We certainly needed to retake the Falklands, but why did we need to in the first place. How did the planned defence cuts help this task?

I don't know whether replying to your post will cross into the content of the politics thread but I'll respond anyway.

Given the choice, I am sure Thatcher would have preferred a negotiated way forward.  However, she came to power at a time when the unions were strong enough to depose a government (as they effectively did with Ted Heath's government).  No unelected body should have that degree of power in a democracy and she understood that quite clearly.  The minute she took on the might of the unions they fought back.  Most of the leaders, particularly the idiot in charge of the miners, were as absorbed in their own ideology as Thatcher was in hers and therefore it was a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other.  But it was important that democracy won, and it did.  While those who like to jump on the hate bandwagon persist in pointing out the destruction of communities (and St Helens was a strong mining and glassmaking community but is now former in both pretty much), what they don't like to consider is that during the present economic crisis, people have stayed in jobs because unions have negotiated with management and management have retained workers for when things get better: a situation that would never have happened in the 1970s.  There would have been all out war on the streets since 2008 had Thatcher not quashed the unions.  That is one of the very positive aspects of her legacy.

As for the financial industry being deregulated, you need to look to Gordon Brown for that one, which may upset you.  He was the one who deregulated the financial services industry.

So far as public transport is concerned, I understand why Thatcher considered privatisation.  Nationalised services and industries are invariably loss making and certainly in this country they were extremely inefficient and very costly to the tax payer.  However, both were controversial policies at the time.  Mind you, when I travel to London or the Lake District on Virgin Trains I wonder at the quality of service, food, the discount prices (if I time my booking right), time keeping, cleanliness and comfort of the whole experience.  It is so, so far ahead of anything I experienced when British Rail was in operation that all my initial doubts about privatising the rail network have long since vanished!  You really had to be there to know just how bloody awful British Rail was!  The buses are slightly different as their privatisation had a direct impact on outlying communities and elderly people who relied heavily upon them.  There was also a sharp spike in prices.  Personally, I haven't seen any particular improvement in the bus services since privatisation.  I may even think they have worsened.

Section 28 was created as a direct result of predominant public feeling at the time, just as its repeal came as a result of predominant public feeling at the time. 

The Falkland Islanders identified as British.  They still do.  I would hope the British government would rescue/protect me from an invader because I also identify as British (well, English these days).  Why should we not rescue the British Falkland Islanders just because they are thousands of miles away?  Thatcher did the right thing where the Falkland Islands are concerned.

#20 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Being from a shipbuilding town she tried to destroy, I only seen happy smiling faces today at work today.
No love for maggie in barrow

Your rhetoric is silly. 

Thatcher didn't try to destroy any community.  Her zeal was to break the stranglehold of the unelected unions.  You forget/choose to ignore, clearly, that following on from that policy was the one of rebuilding.  For example, she went on to create Enterprise Zones in the most affected areas, attracting inward investment into those same communities, and also secured substantial EEC monies into the hardest hit areas to aid regeneration.  One of the most enduring of those initial inward investments is Nissan in Sunderland.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users