Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Thatcherism - The Political Debate Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
324 replies to this topic

#301 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,797 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

If he looks thoughtful during the service, my guess it will be because he's working out how he can make his funeral even more grandiose.

:D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#302 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

Do you not find it ironic that the majority of the cost being borne by the taxpayer is for security measures against those who will protest against the cost ?

beyond irony

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#303 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Whilst working in my last factory one lad was caught using drugs. From then on, everyone was subjected to random testing. With regard to false benefit claimants/unemployed, however small, it makes things worse for the rest. Like you said, the choice of words to describe the unemployed/benefit claimants was shameful, but it seems everyone gets herded into the same pen! It's much easier for such as the Government  to categorise as a whole, rather than back-up with statistics. 

Whilst out of work due to a wrist injury before Christmas, I had to attend a back to work interview, which came across as trickery: guilty until proved innocent. This type of interview has been confirmed by others. 

precisely

Keeping it local

#304 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Read the last paragraph. I don't know if it's true but it is funny.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Peter_Cleall

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#305 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

:D

PFI funeral?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#306 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Do you not find it ironic that the majority of the cost being borne by the taxpayer is for security measures against those who will protest against the cost ?

So you're saying if it were someone less unpopular the security costs for this sort of major occasion would be negligible?  

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#307 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Given that plans for this funeral were first discussed in 2005 and that all funerals of former PMs are paid for by the state, I don't see what the problem is with funding Thatcher's funeral.  I thought it was worth every penny.  It was a beautiful ceremony and thankfully, aside from one idiot who through something at the horses and a couple of boos around the same area, the crowd were very supportive and so the image of the country that was broadcast to the world was one of dignity and not petty vindictiveness. 

#308 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Amazing then that this exact same compensation culture exists all over the developed world. Perhaps it's Thatcher's fault that the whole first world is like this. Or maybe you think anything that happened after 1979 is Thatcher's fault by default.

Of course I don't.
Simply pointing out that in this country it was Thatcher who changed the rules to allow solicitors to do this.
It is illegal in America.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#309 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,867 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm always impressed by how creative some people can be who blame Thatcher for things that happen even after her death.

Apparently some bloke who lost his job with a local authority recently telephoned the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 today and blamed his loss directly on the person responsible - Margaret Thatcher, of course.

It's rather like the relatives of the 1,200 people who lost their lives in the Mid-Staffs NHS scandal blaming Clement Attlee.

When are we going to move on?

#310 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,797 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

From blogger Andrew Sullivan: "She wanted to return Britain to the tradition of her thrifty, traditional father; instead she turned it into a country for the likes of her son, a wayward, money-making opportunist".

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#311 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,297 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Given that plans for this funeral were first discussed in 2005 and that all funerals of former PMs are paid for by the state, I don't see what the problem is with funding Thatcher's funeral.  I thought it was worth every penny.  It was a beautiful ceremony and thankfully, aside from one idiot who through something at the horses and a couple of boos around the same area, the crowd were very supportive and so the image of the country that was broadcast to the world was one of dignity and not petty vindictiveness. 

The world seems to think her grandaughter is a bit of alright and not really noticed much else.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#312 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Given that plans for this funeral were first discussed in 2005 and that all funerals of former PMs are paid for by the state, I don't see what the problem is with funding Thatcher's funeral. I thought it was worth every penny. It was a beautiful ceremony and thankfully, aside from one idiot who through something at the horses and a couple of boos around the same area, the crowd were very supportive and so the image of the country that was broadcast to the world was one of dignity and not petty vindictiveness.

I'm sure it will be a treasured memory for you.
Happily it won't be for me as I managed to avoid it.
I don't recall a prime minister's funeral being on such a kitsch, ruritanian sycophantic scale since churchill's.
Keeping it local

#313 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'm always impressed by how creative some people can be who blame Thatcher for things that happen even after her death.

Apparently some bloke who lost his job with a local authority recently telephoned the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 today and blamed his loss directly on the person responsible - Margaret Thatcher, of course.

It's rather like the relatives of the 1,200 people who lost their lives in the Mid-Staffs NHS scandal blaming Clement Attlee.

When are we going to move on?

I hope we are going to move on as quickly as possible. But I doubt whether we will be allowed to for a fair while yet.

Your analogy with Attlee is all over the place I'm afraid Martyn.
The conduct of the people at mid staffs was against the ethos of the health service. The person, who rightly or wrongly blames thatcher for losing his/ her job is suggesting this was within the ethos she created.
Keeping it local

#314 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

I'm sure it will be a treasured memory for you.
Happily it won't be for me as I managed to avoid it.
I don't recall a prime minister's funeral being on such a kitsch, ruritanian sycophantic scale since churchill's.

I'm sure you said you managed to avoid it?  Therefore, how do you know it was what you suggested it was?

#315 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

I hope we are going to move on as quickly as possible. But I doubt whether we will be allowed to for a fair while yet.

The conduct of the people at mid staffs was against the ethos of the health service. The person, who rightly or wrongly blames thatcher for losing his/ her job is suggesting this was within the ethos she created.

But it still wasn't her fault.  She's been out of office for 23 years. 

#316 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

The world seems to think her grandaughter is a bit of alright and not really noticed much else.

I'm impressed that you've managed to get around the world so quickly!

#317 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm sure you said you managed to avoid it? Therefore, how do you know it was what you suggested it was?

Because the event has been previewed day after day minute detail by the media

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 17 April 2013 - 01:33 PM.

Keeping it local

#318 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,867 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

My analogy was nothing to do with anyone's ethos.

It was about laying the blame where it doesn't belong.

Which, come to think of it, should be an ethos that no one should want to follow.

Good to see that you managed to avoid the funeral but, like Saintslass, I'm slightly surprised that you therefore know what it was like.

#319 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,867 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Because the event has been previewed day after day minute detail by the media

You should know from watching Rugby League that events don't always turn out in accordance with the previews.

#320 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

But it still wasn't her fault. She's been out of office for 23 years.

Hence I said 'rightly or wrongly'
The person' s argument perhaps feels I repeat rightly or wrongly that he is a victim of her legacy
My post related to the inappositness of mr Sadler's reply
Keeping it local