Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Giving it a miss / off topic

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

I agree that Scargill was bad for the miners, he was passionate and rallied his men around him, but he was a target for the Tories and didn't have Gormley's wisdom & guile. Two other opposing politicians would have settled for a compromise toward the end, but Maggie & Arthur didn't know the meaning of the word, and with all the dirty tricks that have come to light all these years later, there was only going to be one winner.....Whoever controlled the media! A bit like Rugby league really! (Murdoch is king, I'm sorry to say). But as long as people keep on buying The Sun and Subscribing to Sky, nothing will change!

#62 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

I agree that Scargill was bad for the miners, he was passionate and rallied his men around him, but he was a target for the Tories and didn't have Gormley's wisdom & guile. Two other opposing politicians would have settled for a compromise toward the end, but Maggie & Arthur didn't know the meaning of the word, and with all the dirty tricks that have come to light all these years later, there was only going to be one winner.....Whoever controlled the media! A bit like Rugby league really! (Murdoch is king, I'm sorry to say). But as long as people keep on buying The Sun and Subscribing to Sky, nothing will change!

Isn't it true Steve, that Sky are reigning back their finance for rugby league in 2014?. They appear to be pulling out of coverage for the cup competitions and if they do cut back it looks like going back to part time. Not a bad option IMO.

#63 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Isn't it true Steve, that Sky are reigning back their finance for rugby league in 2014?. They appear to be pulling out of coverage for the cup competitions and if they do cut back it looks like going back to part time. Not a bad option IMO.

Especially when you see the quality coming out of the part-time game, Bob. There are at most 8 clubs that have the income to sustain full-time rugby for their whole squad without being propped up by benefactors. The trouble is if you reduce the size of SL someone still has to be bottom, and their crowds will drop, and would fans of those excluded clubs still subscribe to Sky? I'm a firm believer in initiaives like Wakefield's season ticket offer, and other ideas to get more bums on seats. This is because the game is reliant on sponsors these days, and who would want to sponsor a club with empty terraces? Likewise with Sky, you marginalise a club and the subscriptions will drop!

#64 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'm just relieved we didn't have a minute's silence yesterday.

A minute's applause I could've coped with.

We had a minute's silence yesteday - for one of our suporters, the people killed at the Boston Marathon and the Hillsborough disaster.

So - a round hundred people and Youknowwho, rather pointedly, not one of them. ^_^

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#65 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Especially when you see the quality coming out of the part-time game, Bob. There are at most 8 clubs that have the income to sustain full-time rugby for their whole squad without being propped up by benefactors. The trouble is if you reduce the size of SL someone still has to be bottom, and their crowds will drop, and would fans of those excluded clubs still subscribe to Sky? I'm a firm believer in initiaives like Wakefield's season ticket offer, and other ideas to get more bums on seats. This is because the game is reliant on sponsors these days, and who would want to sponsor a club with empty terraces? Likewise with Sky, you marginalise a club and the subscriptions will drop!

Just over 8,000 at three cup games this w/end. Not good enough to sustain sponsorship or attract new.