Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team for the cougars

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#81 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

I'd be stunned by that . It would turn upside down everything we've said about DR . That's one position we don't need strengthening , and anyway there are others who would make way before Carter to fit someone in . I don't know , you can't comment or criticise until we know the facts and team officially ... Probably on Sunday afternoon.

That's why I said if he is fit and not playing it could only be for disciplinary reasons because I couldn't think that Charlo and Oggy would leave out Brett to play an experienced Widnes player coming back from injury and I hope that is not the case.   As you say we probably won't know until Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Keith T, 12 April 2013 - 05:42 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#82 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Briscoe has just tweeted saying he'll be playing for us on Sun. Strange one indeed.

#83 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Well if so we'll all welcome him with open arms whatever our feelings ... But I'd still be absolutely staggered if it was for
Brett that's all !!! Shove him in for the injured Calders ok but like for like in his favoured position of full back ...errrr , no I can't buy that for any price and I just can't see it happening . Ok I may look an idiot on Sunday but I give the coaches ( disciplinary reasons apart ) more credit than that . Lets hope !

Edited by DavidM, 12 April 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#84 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

If we have dropped Brett in order to give Briscoe a game then it's absolutely scandalous and I'm disgusted with the club if its true (and Briscoe's tweet seems to confirm it). Even if they wanted to play Briscoe at FB they could have picked Brett at 6 but to leave him out completely is just totally bizarre.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#85 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

Resting Carter for the haven game is the only answer I have but think that's clutching at straws and something I want to believe rather than the truth.

#86 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

calm down, i very much doubt we would have dropped brett for briscoe, and even if we wanted to play briscoe then brett would play either at stand off or on the wing. remember brett never played last week either.when have we ever selected a dr over one of our own, never mind one of our best players. although wouldnt it be nice to be kept up to date, but were only the paying customer so who cares about us.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#87 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Right . We're basing this on a probable teasing tweet and putting 2 and 2 together and probably getting 5 . I still say our coaches
know the craic . We do have openings in our back line , and can fit him and Carter in !

#88 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

If Briscoe is playing I would play carter on the wing with miller on the other Mossop and Morris in the centres

#89 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Carter is way to good or influential to play on the wing . Surely either Briscoe would play centre or if he was here to play custodian then Carter would play 6 ? And Connor would spend another week in the centres or wing . Patrick / Forber may be the unlucky losers in the shift around . Who knows , we'll turn up and see .No idea but looking forward to the game !

Edited by DavidM, 12 April 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#90 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

@sbrisk1: Looking forward to catching up with @EwanDowes this weekend up at Workington. Not played up there since wigan town team under 15's.

#91 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

If this is the case a current SL player , a well known league figure and former international is playing at DP on Sunday .
The club and local media should fanfare it and use this this to get more fans in as this is something up here .

Edited by DavidM, 12 April 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#92 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Should be but u just hope it isn't at carters expense because he is class and always a miss to me when not in the team

#93 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Up until now, under this stupid dual registered system, we have been able to hold the moral high ground for doing it properly, the way it was first intended, but if we are leaving one of our top players out to give an experienced SL player game time then we have just lost that.   I don't think any Town fans are going to go as far as some at other clubs saying they wont be attending but we should register our disgust, if, this is what is happening.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#94 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Certainly clarification is needed Keith , but I just find it hard to swallow . Someone out for Briscoe to improve us , but not Brett .
I give our guys more marbles than that . I'll hang fire for some facts before my wools coming off! Staggered would still be my opinion , but communication kills ignorance .

Edited by DavidM, 12 April 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#95 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

calm down everyone,bretts more than likely still carrying a knock,briscoe needed the game time and gaskell went to widnes seems to me like a deal has been ironed out,thats the way i see it anyway now over to you billy the b ell end or should i say luggsy the leg end

Edited by bomber is god, 12 April 2013 - 07:35 PM.

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#96 bluewhite10

bluewhite10
  • Workington
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

I've heard phil Joseph's name too, probably just a rumour
bluewhitearmy

#97 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Now I could certainly find a place for him on our bench . Good impact player . 2.30 on Sunday will be interesting !!!!!!

#98 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

cue bkm and the widnes reserves chant.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#99 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

We'll wear it if we're comfy in the table come the pointy end of the season and any guys we get have had an impact.

#100 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm gonna hold my water until we get official word on this one. Just hope we get somebody to say something before things start spinning out of kilter. 

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!