Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Premier Sports

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

Right, seeing as it looks like they're doing part of the World Cup I think maybe it's time I had a look at Premier Sports.

I'm sure this type of this has been covered before, but it's in so many disparate places, I thought I might ask again.

I can find all the official stuff, obviously, but I want an opinion or two on the channel (not on the quality or otherwise of the NRL and the Championship) and some way of finding a discount.

Thanks.
People called Romans they go the house

#2 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Right, seeing as it looks like they're doing part of the World Cup I think maybe it's time I had a look at Premier Sports.

I'm sure this type of this has been covered before, but it's in so many disparate places, I thought I might ask again.

I can find all the official stuff, obviously, but I want an opinion or two on the channel (not on the quality or otherwise of the NRL and the Championship) and some way of finding a discount.

Thanks.

Freeview this week for the Donny v Fev game. Easy way to sample for free.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#3 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

I like it, but only really watch the RL coverge.

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Freeview this week for the Donny v Fev game. Easy way to sample for free.

is the game freeview,it's normally only the build up that's free.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#5 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I think the Souths v Storm game is free too,well worth a watch! The last two unbeaten teams in the NRL go head to head!

#6 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

With all due respect to PS if its true that SKY are not a WC partner then on a commercial front this is a disaster SKY = FOX = GLOBAL COVERAGE.

Please tell me this is not true:)))

Without SKY the chances (Albeit at this late stage) of having some major blue chip partners on board are almost minus zero

CM

One of the journalists (Chris Irvine, I think) Tweeted that it would be the BBC and PS this afternoon.

#7 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

That,s terrible news if true BBC is a must for some matches (Even though they carry little weight in attracting global brands nowadays) the key is and always was SKY i cannot state how important they are.

Things are not looking good with the continued increases from SKY in Union matches (Championship replacing RL being one) and no offer for our internationals along with the continued scheduling of SL against Union/Football and anything else i have a feeling that the next offer will certainly be a vastly reduced one SL as a brand is on its backside at the moment and something has to be done about it and PDQ.

CM

I know we're going off topic, but it's my thread anyway and this is more interesting...

I think you might be missing the point a little with this global brands thing.

Sure, it would be nice to have them involved, but I would rather have an accessible tournament that fans, new and old alike, can enjoy on the television (as well as at games).

We don't have global brands fighting over SL even though it is on Sky and without the higher public profile that the BBC brings, it is unlikely that it will.

#8 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

is the game freeview,it's normally only the build up that's free.

Game is as well this week, or so my sky planner says!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Game is as well this week, or so my sky planner says!

Thanks
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#10 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

the continued scheduling of SL against Union/Football and anything else

Just to be clear, aside from moving live matches to 3am when there is no competition from other sports how do you expect any sport to be shown in a prime slot without competition?

#11 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

CANETMAN, on 09 Apr 2013 - 20:22, said:
That,s terrible news if true BBC is a must for some matches (Even though they carry little weight in attracting global brands nowadays) the key is and always was SKY i cannot state how important they are.

Things are not looking good with the continued increases from SKY in Union matches (Championship replacing RL being one) and no offer for our internationals along with the continued scheduling of SL against Union/Football and anything else i have a feeling that the next offer will certainly be a vastly reduced one SL as a brand is on its backside at the moment and something has to be done about it and PDQ.

CM

Don't be daft, the BBC will get orders of magnitude more viewers (and ones who are new to the game at that) than Sky could ever hope for. This is the exposure that sponsors crave, not 150,000 northerners that already watch the game and subscribe to Sky Sports.

#12 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

###### to sky sports i am on the verge of dumping them prem sports has more rl coverage for less money, i can watch any good sky games in the pub for free.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

CM

We don't need a global brand as most of the support for the WC is here in England.

The BBC will be sufficient for media coverage as long as they do a good job, seeing as they are a partner I believe they will.

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

Ee really need ALL games live. Ill subscribe to whoever delivers that.

#15 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

BBC to show all the "big" World Cup games and some of the smaller ones live and Premier Sports to get the rest would be great.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 10 April 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#16 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

Quick question, were Sky involved with anything but the England games last time? I seem to remember watching a lot of matches on the BBC's red button service. If so its sadly a step up.from that.

They may have had the England games and final but can't remember too many others.

Edited by RidingPie, 10 April 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

If I remember rightly Sky showed plenty of the other games in 2000 . I recall watching Wales v Lebanon and Wales v Cook Islands on Sky. I'm not sure about 2008.

Edited by deluded pom?, 10 April 2013 - 07:45 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

Fair enough... I remember I was working away in Newcastle and didn't have sky whilst out there, but I did get to watch games on the BBC red button in the evening. They had the aussie commentary if I remember rightly.

I'm guessing sky had any they wanted and the rest fell to the BBC red button.

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

If I remember rightly Sky showed plenty of the other games in 2000 . I recall watching Wales v Lebanon and Wales v Cook Islands on Sky. I'm not sure about 2008.

yes - after 1995 when BBC showed next to no games, with secondary games on LiveTV on cable, the BBC went for more games in 2000. Unfortunately games in Belfast and Glasgow were miserable affairs in front of sparse crowds on national tv.

In 2000 sky showed best of the rest - although they did have the England opener at Twickenham. They shared the final.

In 2008 sky had exclusive live coverage of every game, with bbc highlights.

Ill be disappointed with no sky involvement as imho it makes it less likely that every game will be live.

#20 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

It's difficult to see how the BBC or PS could outbid Sky for the rights so its a little worrying that it appears Sky were either not interested or bid very low. I've heard a rumour that BBC are only planning on showing England games live plus the semis & final which would not be a great scenario if true.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users