Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Premier Sports

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

It's difficult to see how the BBC or PS could outbid Sky for the rights so its a little worrying that it appears Sky were either not interested or bid very low. I've heard a rumour that BBC are only planning on showing England games live plus the semis & final which would not be a great scenario if true.

I would guess that Sky bid low thinking that the RFL/IMG would just take them up on the offer anyway. Sky then pulled out to call their bluff but they just went with PS instead

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#22 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

think theres a official announcement later?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#23 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Premier Sports current FB status is

"Currently putting together a list of classic NRL Grand Finals and State of Origin archive games. Let us know if you have any requests."

Cool, that's even more RL for my money!

#24 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Premier Sports current FB status is

"Currently putting together a list of classic NRL Grand Finals and State of Origin archive games. Let us know if you have any requests."

I have a request for Premier Sports… get yourself on cable FFS! And sort out your rubbish online streaming service.

Their actual game coverage is pretty good, though - much better commentators/analysts than Sky.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#25 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

I have a request for Premier Sports… get yourself on cable FFS! And sort out your rubbish online streaming service.

Their actual game coverage is pretty good, though - much better commentators/analysts than Sky.

They have a new streaming service coming soon.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#26 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

I have a request for Premier Sports… get yourself on cable FFS!

This gets mentioned LOTS on their FB/Twitter

#27 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Just seen on twitter that the BBC are set to announce all world cups games to be screened live on the BBC..

EDIT: mis read the tweet, its all ENGLAND games to be screened live..

Edited by EastLondonMike, 10 April 2013 - 09:38 AM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#28 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Premier Sports are delighted to announce live coverage of every game from the RLWC2013 with exclusive coverage (so far) of 5 New Zealand and Australian group games, 3 Quarter Finals and 1 Semi-Final.

From their FB

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 10 April 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#29 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

I wonder how many subscribers Premier Sports have? Doesn't say much for the strength of the game in this country that a minor subscription channel will be the main broadcaster(showing the most games) of the World Cup.

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,780 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

BBC will show all England group games live, plus 1 QF, 1 SF and the Final, plus highlights programmes for the rest. They have also promised extensive coverage on BBC radio - you will notice that they don't specify national or local radio.

Edited by Futtocks, 10 April 2013 - 09:55 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#31 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

I wonder how many subscribers Premier Sports have? Doesn't say much for the strength of the game in this country that a minor subscription channel will be the main broadcaster(showing the most games) of the World Cup.

You mean the channel that already shows the vast majority of rugby league games anyway?

Sky show 2 games a week

Premier show 7 games a week.

They are already the main broadcaster of RL

#32 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Looks like the bbc are only going to pick up England games and probably the semi's and Final then.. sounds pretty poor if true. you'd hope part of the negotiations would have included a highlights and magazine show to be broadcast on the evening of the days games.. wishful thinking though i reckon.

Looks like it will be a premier sports subscription for a couple of months then. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#33 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Strange that BBC are only showing one SF though. What with it being a double header

#34 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Strange that BBC are only showing one SF though. What with it being a double header

If they showed them both that would be a substantial amount of TV time taken up on free to air TV.  I doubt it was ever going to be the case that they would show, what, four hours of continuous rugby league?  It would have been great for them to do so but as it is we have got a significant commitment from them both this year and up to 2017.  I'm very glad about that.  The BBC is far more important to our sport than Sky in terms of attracting a wider fan base.

#35 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

If they showed them both that would be a substantial amount of TV time taken up on free to air TV.  I doubt it was ever going to be the case that they would show, what, four hours of continuous rugby league?  It would have been great for them to do so but as it is we have got a significant commitment from them both this year and up to 2017.  I'm very glad about that.  The BBC is far more important to our sport than Sky in terms of attracting a wider fan base.

BBC1 for England/Aus, BBC2 for Wales/Italy

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

They did the same at the Wembley double header in 2011.

I suspect they will have highlights.

My one main reservation around PS getting the rights was the fact that we may have some games not showm however the fact that they have rights to every game is brilliant news and I'll certainly be extending my subscription.

I am surprised that the BBC haven't said anything about the Wales games - but then we have only had a few details, so maybe they will show the odd other game too?

#37 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

from twitter

all of a sudden we are "back in negotiations" with @virginmedia, amazing what a bit a fan pressure can do...keep it up!

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#38 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Right, seeing as it looks like they're doing part of the World Cup I think maybe it's time I had a look at Premier Sports.

I'm sure this type of this has been covered before, but it's in so many disparate places, I thought I might ask again.

I can find all the official stuff, obviously, but I want an opinion or two on the channel (not on the quality or otherwise of the NRL and the Championship) and some way of finding a discount.

Thanks.

Every NRL game for £80, cash allowing, how can you not have it? Only thing that would improve it would be if it was in HD.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#39 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

I am seriously thinking of ditching Sky Sports.

9.99 a month for 7 NRL games, plus a Championship game, plus World Cup.

20 odd for Sky Sports for 2 SL games, many of which are poorly matched games.

I wonder what the Sky reaction would be to any sort of mass cancellation? Ditching SL all together?

#40 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 741 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Double post

Edited by Li0nhead, 10 April 2013 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users