Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George Burgess

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

From what I have seen so far of him this season,we need him on England's bench for the World Cup,what does everyone else reckon?

#2 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

pudding

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#3 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

We need both him and Sam ready and fully fit when the World Cup comes around later this year.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

pudding

He really isn't.

Posted Image

#5 Lionheart_merged

Lionheart_merged
  • Coach
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Certainly worth a place in the squad.  He's a massive lad and three tries from the bench in 5 NRL matches taking players over the line with him shows he could make an impact at international level.

#6 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Certainly worth a place in the squad.  He's a massive lad and three tries from the bench in 5 NRL matches taking players over the line with him shows he could make an impact at international level.

international forwards at top level need to do 60 mins attack defend at the highest quality not just clumsily fall over the line cos the defence is tired and the forward is a big oafish lummox

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#7 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

international forwards at top level need to do 60 mins attack defend at the highest quality not just clumsily fall over the line cos the defence is tired and the forward is a big oafish lummox

The props don't. You have 4 props. If 2 do 60 minutes each then the other two only have to do 20 minutes. Basic maths tells you they have to do 40 minutes each. The second rowers have to do 53 each if they have 3.

Even if you use the loose as an extra prop that's still only 48 minutes each on average.

I'm not saying that every forward does that but an international forward doesn't HAVE to do 60 minutes, far from it.

Also you're implying Burgess is overweight and can't defend, he's far from either.

#8 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

The props don't. You have 4 props. If 2 do 60 minutes each then the other two only have to do 20 minutes. Basic maths tells you they have to do 40 minutes each. The second rowers have to do 53 each if they have 3.

Even if you use the loose as an extra prop that's still only 48 minutes each on average.

I'm not saying that every forward does that but an international forward doesn't HAVE to do 60 minutes, far from it.

Also you're implying Burgess is overweight and can't defend, he's far from either.

He's trolling, or hasnt seen Burgess this year. His tries have hardly been clumsy.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

He's trolling, or hasnt seen Burgess this year. His tries have hardly been clumsy.

I know picked it up now. Thought I'd give him a chance to debate but he won't do so, I'll ignore his posts from now on in.

#10 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

It's not just his tries. He seems to drive these "superhuman" aussies backwards with EVERY hit up he takes. On current form he should be on England's bench.

#11 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

playing better than his brother at the moment.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#12 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

playing better than his brother at the moment.

You cannot be watching closely...Sam Burgess has been outstanding for Souths in their unbeaten start even allowing for his one match ban. I would venture to say that should he keep up his form he will be in the running for the Dally M awards at the end of the year.

He was recently voted the 6th best player in the NRL anyway but it would be a fanatstic achievement for an Englishman if he got one.

#13 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Seen each game he's played so far and he has been excellent for a young front rower much more in the mould of Sam than say Luke. He's got that explosive quality about him really hits contact hard and fast and defense is solid ask Mateo from the weekends game took a big hit from George and he's not exactly small. Excellent performances and on current form would be on Eng bench but it's a long season yet.

#14 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

hes defo on course to earn himself a "impact prop" bench spot...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#15 humpy

humpy
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

I've watched every televised game of his this year and ive been impressed. His tries were scored from good footwork and strength. His defence has been good. He must of put in a huge pre season as when he played last year he looked sluggish and a bit tubby. He should be a bench player this year in World Cup, he'd be great impact player. He's earnt the respect of all commentators and match summarisers here.

#16 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

I know picked it up now. Thought I'd give him a chance to debate but he won't do so, I'll ignore his posts from now on in.

my apologies- thinking of a totally different player, not seen any nrl this year

#17 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

I've seen a few of Souths games this year and he's be a phenomenal presence. Get the lad in the team before the aussies try and tempt him with SOO

#18 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,568 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

my apologies- thinking of a totally different player, not seen any nrl this year

So why comment then?!

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC, 10 April 2013 - 06:50 AM.

Posted Image

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

He's started very well, but let's see how he keeps going.

(Copy and paste for each new thread every week)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

http://www1.skysport...World-Cup-place

Let's be honest, for a 20 year old front rower, he has been superb so far this season. There's a long way to go but, in my opinion, if his form continues he has to be on the England bench.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users