Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George Burgess

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

England should have plenty of impact off the bench at the WC, assuming these players hold their form

14. George Burgess

15. Eorl Crabtree

16. Gareth Hock

17. James Roby

Thats a great bench, any one of them can come on and lift the tempo which is what you need from the interchange players.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#22 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

who've you got starting @ 9??

my bench as it stands is..

14. george burgess
15. erol crabtree
16. gareth hock
17. rob burrow

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#23 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

England should have plenty of impact off the bench at the WC, assuming these players hold their form
14. George Burgess
15. Eorl Crabtree
16. Gareth Hock
17. James Roby

Thats a great bench, any one of them can come on and lift the tempo which is what you need from the interchange players.

I don't know who you have at 9 *but* I fully agree. There would be serious impact off the bench with that quartet. I've often felt that the difference between GB/England and Australia has been the players on the bench. Too many times in the past, we've gone with players who provided either:

1) reduced quality
2) no impact/nothing different
3) both (of the above)

To compound the issue, we've had several coaches who have picked a bench with an insufficient number of forwards. With 54/55 stones of bodyweight between the first three names, none of those previous downfalls would be present here!

#24 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

I agree with the bench of Burrow, Hock, Crabtree and G Burgess. All three forwards absolutely huge units who can shift and all take 3 tackles to put them down. Added to Burrows dummy half running I feel bringing these players on after 25 - 30 minutes could really change the game.

#25 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

absolutely....

look at george...he's been coming on as sub,smashing holes in every NRL defense he's faced and scored valuable tries too..

what more could you as for from a bench prop?

OLDHAM RLFC

#26 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

absolutely....

look at george...he's been coming on as sub,smashing holes in every NRL defense he's faced and scored valuable tries too..

what more could you as for from a bench prop?

What impresses me the most about G.Burgess is his lack of fear for a 20yr old prop.  He was immense against Cronulla, taking Gallen on time and again, always making yards.

I agree that Burgess G, Hock and Crabtree would be the best impact forwards coming off the bench and would really cause some damage.

With S.Burgess being an 80min all pack positions player, and Graham being an 80 min prop, we have got so much strength its scary.

#27 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

many of us have laid claim to england/GB having a world class pack for a good 6,7,8 years.....having a massively good pack without having the halves to build on that is as much us as #### on a bull..thats where we fall down imo...

we now have a immense pack and a immense bench......we have a world class winger & fullback (hall & tomkins) we have NRL quality backs in charnley,briscoe,watkins & jack reed...

we need our halves to step up!

OLDHAM RLFC

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Here we go again.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

international forwards at top level need to do 60 mins attack defend at the highest quality not just clumsily fall over the line cos the defence is tired and the forward is a big oafish lummox

They can't all do 60 minutes.

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

I agree with the bench of Burrow, Hock, Crabtree and G Burgess. All three forwards absolutely huge units who can shift and all take 3 tackles to put them down. Added to Burrows dummy half running I feel bringing these players on after 25 - 30 minutes could really change the game.

You do need to be careful not to upset the balance too much though after 25minutes. During this period you do still need to do the hard graft. Staggering the bench you have above would be very important as bringing them all on within a couple of minutes could really de-stabilise the team and balance.

#31 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Lunt has got to be in with a chance for the world cup.

Now he has been outstanding

Rip the bludgers heads off!

#32 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

who've you got starting @ 9??my bench as it stands is..14. george burgess15. erol crabtree16. gareth hock17. rob burrow

Totally agree with you on that bench and Roby as starting hooker, the big question in my opinion is who's the starting pack and where does Sam burgess play, prop second row or loose forward. I'd go with:
Graham
Roby
Burgess
Farrell
Westwood
Sinfield(never going to happen)

#33 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Echo sentiment 're the bench with george, eorl, hock and burrow that's immense impact off the bench.
starting for me could be:
Graham/L Burgess
Roby/mcallorum/lunt
Burgess/ Hill/mossop
Ellis/Farrell
Westwood/ferris
ologhlin/heighington

this just highlights even with injuries we have strength in depth in the pack.

#34 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

My England bench would now be:
Clark
Hock
Crabtree
G Burgess

George has been awesome for Souths but has also been excellent at the little things as well. Whilst being an impact player he has also played a lot of minutes in each half.

#35 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

In today's match, against the Storm, George made 126m from 13 hit-ups - according to the Sydney Morning Herald. These performances are getting better and better!

#36 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

He looked awesome this morning, just one of those players who is difficult to get hold of. That young lad Walmsley at Saints seems to have that quality too.

#37 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

He looked awesome this morning, just one of those players who is difficult to get hold of. That young lad Walmsley at Saints seems to have that quality too.

Couldn't agree more with that. G Burgess is the find of the decade in so far as forwards go and, if he is considered good enough for an automatic selection in the Souths side presently ( which he is) then he most certainly is also definitely good enough to represent England come the W/Cup. He was better than Sam yesterday and made more impact off the bench than any other sub seen. Should his improvement continue the bench may not even be the only place he could occupy.

Walmesley is an excellent prospect and certainly looks to have a great future in Saints or an NRL pack too.

#38 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,604 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Couldn't agree more with that. G Burgess is the find of the decade in so far as forwards go and, if he is considered good enough for an automatic selection in the Souths side presently ( which he is) then he most certainly is also definitely good enough to represent England come the W/Cup. He was better than Sam yesterday and made more impact off the bench than any other sub seen. Should his improvement continue the bench may not even be the only place he could occupy.

Walmesley is an excellent prospect and certainly looks to have a great future in Saints or an NRL pack too.

So automatic selection into Souths is the benchmark for England? I think that's a case of giving the NRL too much respect. I wouldn't say that everyone that is an automatic selection for Souths is good enough for England's starting 17.
Posted Image

#39 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

So automatic selection into Souths is the benchmark for England? I think that's a case of giving the NRL too much respect. I wouldn't say that everyone that is an automatic selection for Souths is good enough for England's starting 17.

Automatic selection for Souths isn't the benchmark for England, but they are one of the best teams in the world and George is ripping it up for them. He's the form English forward at the moment and there's no one in SL at his level currently.

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

I think that's a case of giving the NRL too much respect.

Hehe, have you never read peterandre's post before? An England fan who barely comments on any, so probably never watches any, games on English soil. :D

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users