Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How would you like Super League?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you like Super League (59 member(s) have cast votes)

If you could change SL, how would it look?

1. Keep SL as is (9 votes [15.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

2. Keep 14 teams and bring back automatic promotion and relegation (18 votes [30.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.51%

3. Reduce the number of teams and bring back automatic promotion and relegation (21 votes [35.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.59%

4. Reduce the number of teams only (11 votes [18.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

I hear allot of people on here say SL should reduce in size. Others want P&R back. I'm curious as to the most popular option is for SL. Is change what the majority want, or do the minority just have the loudest voices?

Post your preferred option here.

Edited by goldcoaster, 09 April 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

super league as it is is not working,the play off system is wrong, franchising is not working, no p and r is not working,the challenge cup needs a total revamp,i hope to god there is someone somewhere making plans to make things better.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#3 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Play offs involving over half the league devalue the main comp. Top 4 or 5 maximum.

#4 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

No more than 10-12 English sides + at least two French. No more than 14 clubs in the comp (optimum number 12); no more than six clubs in the playoffs (optimum five).

#5 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

I hear allot of people on here say SL should reduce in size. Others want P&R back. I'm curious as to the most popular option is for SL. Is change what the majority want, or do the minority just have the loudest voices?

Post your preferred option here.

Good morning sir, are you asking for an answer based on what we would like to see if things were different, i.e. fantasy SL formats? Or are we selecting a preferred option based on the cold hard reality of reducing crowds and limited finances, with some rich owners possibly leaving their clubs?

Can I do both? If so my fantasy format is a two tier SL of 14 clubs each max salary cap spend £5M.

#6 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

Good morning sir, are you asking for an answer based on what we would like to see if things were different, i.e. fantasy SL formats? Or are we selecting a preferred option based on the cold hard reality of reducing crowds and limited finances, with some rich owners possibly leaving their clubs?Can I do both? If so my fantasy format is a two tier SL of 14 clubs each max salary cap spend £5M.

Evidently the more realistic option unfortunately, though your idea would be good.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

Whilst I disagree with much of the criticism of the 8 team playoff, the low crowds for these games arent great. Strip this back to top 5.

If it was mass changes then two tens with a mid season split into 6/6/8.

#8 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

I am not wasting my time filling this in. Unless we have a postcode area section the results won't be taken seriousley on this board.

It's a shame because my wippet enjoyed voting on Chris Taylor's survey.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

I am not wasting my time filling this in. Unless we have a postcode area section the results won't be taken seriousley on this board.

ignore me

Edited by Dave T, 10 April 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,351 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Can you get your wippet (sic) to post on here, too? Might be more entertaining than its owner. 

#11 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

ignore me

Why should I do that? I actually enjoy reading your comments and despite not agreeing with many of your posts I find we debate in a good way. My previous post was not aimed at you.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#12 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Can you get your wippet (sic) to post on here, too? Might be more entertaining than its owner.

It already does and it does not result to personal insulting comments when the debate is being lost.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Why should I do that? I actually enjoy reading your comments and despite not agreeing with many of your posts I find we debate in a good way. My previous post was not aimed at you.

No sorry - I made a point which I realised wasn't relevant! I hadn;t noticed the poll at the top and I thought people were giving their views on the thread, so I suggested that as this wasn't an anonymous discussion then it wouldn't have the issues you raised. 

I was being an idiot  B)

#14 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

No sorry - I made a point which I realised wasn't relevant! I hadn;t noticed the poll at the top and I thought people were giving their views on the thread, so I suggested that as this wasn't an anonymous discussion then it wouldn't have the issues you raised. 

I was being an idiot  B)

No worries at all Dave and no need to apologise.  I enjoy a good debate with you and would not have put you on ignore anyway.

#15 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Evidently the more realistic option unfortunately, though your idea would be good.

As super league has not advanced and is going backwards, I'd like to get back to the original idea such as Mo Lyndsay and Gary Hetherington were behind, in that the game needed less clubs who represented bigger areas.

Mergers are dead but through licensing we can put into SL....

One club in Hull (HKR will do for me)
One club in Leeds
One Club in Bradhuddersfax
One club in Calder (make it featherstone (big nod to Ian P.) who cares as long as they can draw the fans and keep the players from that region)

One club in Cheshire (widnes will suit me)
One club in Manchester
One club in Merseyside
One club in Lancashire

Two clubs in France.

I'd love to think this lot can all turn in 10,000 crowds plus a lot more.

I'd love to think that they'd have a collective vision, a collective business policy and they'd ensure nobody struggled.

But I detest the idea of clubs playing each other three times.

So I'd want to invite more clubs to apply for a licence.

Anyone outside the M62, and anyone inside who can make the numbers up because a rich man wants to.

But none of these would be acceptable if any would not guarantee a full cap spend for 3 years and an effort to develop RL where they are.....

Would I get a 12 club SL? Maybe.

Would I get a 14 club SL probably not.

Edited by The Parksider, 10 April 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#16 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

It doesn't matter how you re structure it , its buggered and shuffling the pack isn't going to make a lot of difference , the damage was done 5 years ago

There are no Championship clubs anywhere near the level needed to move up to SL , and a 3 rd of SL are nowhere near or will be anywhere near true SL level for a decade at least

So no idea what the answer is

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,600 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

No more than 10-12 English sides + at least two French. No more than 14 clubs in the comp (optimum number 12); no more than six clubs in the playoffs (optimum five).

yes

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#18 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

I would live to see a 10 team uk conference and a 10 team French conference. Playing your conference teams home and away, the other conference teams once. Conference winners get the easy route in a top 8 playoffs system, ( top 3 each conference, two highest scoring clubs as wildcards).
Of the French 10, 6 heartland teams, 3 expansions and one in Italy to help them develop a competitive league.
In the uk, London fill the expansion spot, with both welsh teams given the scope to open up to 12 teams down the line.
Teams outside the top ten can play in the heartland championship and bid for a sl place if they meet criteria to grow the game or offer more than a current member.
28 game regular season, hopefully more TV games (show all none televised delayed through an Internet subscription) more sponsors.
Lastly, a scoring system that is ruthless like the game, making teams fight for a result.
2 for a win, 1 for a draw, lose a point if you lose by more than 24 (this would vary each season based on average score line), hopefully making teams fight for 80 minutes

#19 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

As has been discussed elsewhere, a 'two tier' SL would do for me. Two divisions of 10 with P&R, each club playing the others in the division twice and those from the other division once.

I would be tempted to do likewise with the two or three divisions below the SL with P&R throughout.

You'd need to spread the money about a bit more and have a more graded cap from SL1 downwards and that's maybe the main difficulty. However perhaps marquee and long service cap exceptions, with perhaps those clubs who choose to pay loads for their marquee players also having to put a percentage in a pot for the rest of the league it might work.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

I'm beginning to think perhaps, if there is a shake up, to move away from the "Super League" moniker, there are so many popping up at the moment I think we're in danger of getting lost in the crowd. Especially if this proposed football European Super League starts up.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.