RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How would you like Super League?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you like Super League (59 member(s) have cast votes)

If you could change SL, how would it look?

1. Keep SL as is (9 votes [15.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

2. Keep 14 teams and bring back automatic promotion and relegation (18 votes [30.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.51%

3. Reduce the number of teams and bring back automatic promotion and relegation (21 votes [35.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.59%

4. Reduce the number of teams only (11 votes [18.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

... if you look at the twitter feed for Super League before they do their morning clean up there are tweets about FA women's Super League, Pakistan Super League, Greek Super League, Indonesia Super League, European football Super League, volleyball Super League, Chinese Super League, ASEAN Super League.

edit: and Azerbaijan Super League!

Edited by hindle xiii, 11 April 2013 - 07:24 AM.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

I'm beginning to think perhaps, if there is a shake up, to move away from the "Super League" moniker, there are so many popping up at the moment I think we're in danger of getting lost in the crowd. Especially if this proposed football European Super League starts up.

I tend to agree, maybe it's moving out here to nz, but I'm starting to think we should start using the moniker 'league' when referring to our sport. After all, we are rugby LEAGUE football, the other lot use the rugby part, and association choose to use football.

Maybe euro league x111, or EL13 for marketing purposes

Edited by gnidir, 11 April 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

I tend to agree, maybe it's moving out here to nz, but I'm starting to think we should start using the moniker 'league' when referring to our sport. After all, we are rugby LEAGUE football, the other lot use the rugby part, and association choose to use football.

I'm not sure about that either, cos 'league' is a thing in it's own right as a verb or noun, a collection or group, etc. I think even Rugby the town has fallen victim as it's a smallish town. And it's only really Rugby that's named after a place. It seems daft now to think of calling RL 'Huddersfield' or after some stamping of feet 'Leeds'.

Anyhoo, I didn't really want to drag the thread anywhere off topic, I just think any change in the league structure might incorporate a similar title change.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

The current system doesn't work so something has to change

Introducing P&R straight away will just see a return to the Yo-Yo teams with the Have's getting stronger and the Have nots getting weaker.

Keep the current licencing system for now but reduce the number of SL teams to 12.

Either a small increase in the salary cap or greater exemptions for 'home grown'players such as their salaries only counting 75% towards the cap.

Use the money from the 2 less SL teams to increase the slary cap in the Championship and work towards closing the gap between the 2 leagues.

Then (and only when) the gap has closed significantly, reintroduce P&R

#25 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

may be merge the lot to form an 8 team super super league playing each other three times for 21 rounds top four making play offs with 1v4 2v3 . Have all other teams as semi pro feeder teams.Then set up a french super league of 8 teams should be plenty of players who to remain full time pro would  willing to ply there trade in france.Have there league mirroring ours and then have an anglo french cup four pools of four two english two french in each pool .

Chief Crazy Eagle

#26 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

I'm beginning to think perhaps, if there is a shake up, to move away from the "Super League" moniker, there are so many popping up at the moment I think we're in danger of getting lost in the crowd. Especially if this proposed football European Super League starts up.

Absolutely. It doesn't help the sport as a whole and alienates the Aussies who had a pretty rough experience with the war.

#27 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

The current system doesn't work so something has to change

Introducing P&R straight away will just see a return to the Yo-Yo teams with the Have's getting stronger and the Have nots getting weaker.

Keep the current licencing system for now but reduce the number of SL teams to 12.

Either a small increase in the salary cap or greater exemptions for 'home grown'players such as their salaries only counting 75% towards the cap.

Use the money from the 2 less SL teams to increase the slary cap in the Championship and work towards closing the gap between the 2 leagues.

Then (and only when) the gap has closed significantly, reintroduce P&R

The gap between SL and the Championship has grown significantly over the last 5 years , it is now completely unbridgeable , any club being promoted now under any system would do itself more damage than good

So you are correct and it has long been my argument , the only way to improve SL is to have a strong tier beneath it , yes licencing has removed the yearly fear of relegation , but that in itself isnt a good thing , it hasnt been replaced with anything else apart from a few toothless threats from Red Hall

A strong growing Championship would force the bottom dwellers of SL to improve or face the real threat of removal

#28 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

So other sports have taken over "rugby"and "football" but not "league"?

Sorry, I don't get that at all. What about the premier league or the champions league in soccer?

I know what you're saying but its rugby we play, not "league". Surely league refers to most sports?

Don't mean to sound arsey by the way :)  

#29 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

I would live to see a 10 team uk conference and a 10 team French conference. Playing your conference teams home and away, the other conference teams once. Conference winners get the easy route in a top 8 playoffs system, ( top 3 each conference, two highest scoring clubs as wildcards).
Of the French 10, 6 heartland teams, 3 expansions and one in Italy to help them develop a competitive league.
In the uk, London fill the expansion spot, with both welsh teams given the scope to open up to 12 teams down the line.
Teams outside the top ten can play in the heartland championship and bid for a sl place if they meet criteria to grow the game or offer more than a current member.
28 game regular season, hopefully more TV games (show all none televised delayed through an Internet subscription) more sponsors.
Lastly, a scoring system that is ruthless like the game, making teams fight for a result.
2 for a win, 1 for a draw, lose a point if you lose by more than 24 (this would vary each season based on average score line), hopefully making teams fight for 80 minutes

I really like the suggestion about teams losing points if they lose by more than 24pts. I think this needs serious thoughts and may be a revolutionary idea to keep scores closer which is what fans want

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,500 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

I really like the suggestion about teams losing points if they lose by more than 24pts. I think this needs serious thoughts and may be a revolutionary idea to keep scores closer which is what fans want

Yep - I'm open minded to suggestions like this, we have never been afraid of trying stuff.

One point though, I don't think that teams give up when they are behind so I'm not sure how much it would actually affect what happens on the field.

Look at Cas last week - no points on offer, but they played right until the end against Hudds and scored some good tries.

#31 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

The downside to things like this is a team that is 26 pts behind getting a penalty and kicking for goal. It's the same with all bonus points it creates a second target that sometimes over rides the actual score.

#32 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

You know a forum is losing it's touch when no-one responds to the title with "well done".

:ph34r:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,500 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

The downside to things like this is a team that is 26 pts behind getting a penalty and kicking for goal. It's the same with all bonus points it creates a second target that sometimes over rides the actual score.

Good point - and the first time it happens we'll hear cries of 'the game's a farce' and 'typical RFL'

Things like this need to be carefully considered.

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Good point - and the first time it happens we'll hear cries of 'the game's a farce' and 'typical RFL'

Things like this need to be carefully considered.

:D No-one can legislate against how league fans can shout the game down.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

heres an idea nothing to do with league set up but the game its self. How about having a bonus play . When a team score a try they can either opt for a kick at goal for extra two points or opt for a one tackle play to cross for a try worth three points.

Chief Crazy Eagle

#36 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

As a purist, I by an large prefer the status quo as to how we decide matches. But on this one I'm far more open to this being trialed at some point. Imagine the drama. A team who have trailed all game, down by 9 points score with seconds to go. Take the 2nd option and score again under the sticks! See, I could live with that. Something similar operates in US footy.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users