TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos moving to Farnborough next year

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Nomad XIII

Nomad XIII
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Well, just a rumour on the football club's message board at the moment. 

http://www.notabadna...th=2303&start=0

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Which zone is Farnborough?

#3 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Looking at their ground, it's very cramped. There would be no room for in-goals at all. I would say it is unfit for Rugby Leage.

If London are intent on moving out to a more regional area, perhaps Milton Keynes is the answer. I was there last week, and it is a quality modern stadium, with plenty of room for a full Rugby pitch.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

If this rumour turns out to be true then the RFL should strip the club of its SL licence. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#5 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Perhaps Nigel Wood could visit the next Farnborough Air Show and do some 'networking'?

"Never mind the planes. Can I interest you in a lovely little sports club in the provinces?"

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#6 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

I wouldn't believe everything you read on football message boards.....

#7 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

I wouldn't believe everything you read on football message boards.....

I wouldnt believe anything you read on RL message boards ;)

#8 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

15 mins from home - I'm all for it!!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#9 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

There's a lovely ground just next to the motorway in Northampton.....

#10 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

I wouldnt believe anything you read on RL message boards ;)

I'm starting a rumour that the Broncos are going to get so big that only Wembley will be big enough to hold all their fans.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#11 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

Looking at their ground, it's very cramped. There would be no room for in-goals at all. I would say it is unfit for Rugby Leage.

If London are intent on moving out to a more regional area, perhaps Milton Keynes is the answer.

The answer to what???

I've read MacKays press release that indicates the London Broncos are looking to move to enable them to then reach for the stars, but forgive me after reading hundreds of "tell them what you want them to hear" press releases, believing that the "reasons stated" cannot in any way be swallowed.

Didn't Wigan announce they'd no interest in a Welsh player then promptly sign him?

It leaves people who want honesty having to speculate and I can't see that the Broncos are looking to Farnborough as being a bright new dawn.

What fits is a cost cutting excercise dressed up as progress, whilst they see out the rest of the license, then what further fits is the possibility there's going to be no central funding for London come 2015.

If this happens let's (forlornly I know)hope the Journos ask the obvious questions

Edited by The Parksider, 10 April 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#12 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

If this rumour turns out to be true then the RFL should strip the club of its SL licence.

Oh yes, and have the sports media have a field day and Rugby Union have wide grins on their faces, and then have a 13 club SL limp along for another season until licenses come about.

If it's the end for London it won't happen like that. It'll happen like it did for Crusaders.

IMHO of course.....

At the last minute they'll pull their bid, and Toulouse will immediately be the big PR release from the RFL, with the RFL hailing a move towards a bright International future between the two countries.

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Oh yes, and have the sports media have a field day and Rugby Union have wide grins on their faces, and then have a 13 club SL limp along for another season until licenses come about.

If it's the end for London it won't happen like that. It'll happen like it did for Crusaders.

IMHO of course.....

At the last minute they'll pull their bid, and Toulouse will immediately be the big PR release from the RFL, with the RFL hailing a move towards a bright International future between the two countries.

What have the RU got to gloat about if London lose their licence? Barring Harlequins the RU clubs who were in London had to move outside to cater for full time professionalism. The fact is club rugby is a grossly minority sport in London.

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

IMHO of course.....

It'll be nowt like the Crusaders situation; in that instance the RFL already had a ready made substitute in Wakefield. Parachuting Toulouse in at the 11th hour would be disastrous.

Having said that, the current franchise system will make it very hard for any new French side to survive and flourish.

What Toulouse really need if they're to stand any chance is a similar lead-in time to the Catalans, so they can sign players, put structures in place, build awareness etc.

It's ok saying that the RFL will have tipped them the wink anyway, but that isn't enough. The people of Toulouse need to know the team is coming too.

The Catalans entry model is possibly the only example of successful top level expansion in the entire history of UK rugby league. Why wouldn't you repeat a winning formula?

#15 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

If they are thinking Farnborough, they may as well go to Gillingham, which was they're preferred choice 12 months ago.. similar in distance from London, just South West rather than South East.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#16 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Farnborough's official capacity is 4163 with 627 seats and 1350 under cover. This isn't within cooee of the SL minimum requirements and a move there would almost certainly mean the club dropping into the Championship next season.

#17 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Farnborough's official capacity is 4163 with 627 seats and 1350 under cover. This isn't within cooee of the SL minimum requirements and a move there would almost certainly mean the club dropping into the Championship next season.

If they're dropping down to the Championship then there are lots of non-league grounds in and around London they could play at. No need to decamp to deepest darkest Hampshire to do it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#18 Dean

Dean
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

It's not as daft as it sounds.

There is a brand new stand behind one goal, almost complete which will seat another 1300+.

It's not a bad non-league ground, but more importantly Farnborough FC are absolutely brassic and may be open to selling the ground if they stay as a tenant.

Equally important, it's a lot closer to home for me.

#19 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

They can rebrand while they're at it too. Farnborough Fantasists
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#20 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

Well, just a rumour on the football club's message board at the moment. 

http://www.notabadna...th=2303&start=0

Have they reported any sightings of big cats, or of Bigfoot? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users