RLWC BBC

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Really would have liked to have seen both semis and another QF. I don't think my local Irish pub over here is likely to be taking out a subscription to Premier.

Edited by Just Browny, 10 April 2013 - 10:50 AM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#22 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

PS have exclusive coverage (so far) of 5 NZ and Aus group games, 3 QFs and 1 SF.

The "so far" bit intrigues me

Does that mean that the BBC might show some more live matches, hence Premier don't know exactly how many exclusive games they've got?

BBC have first refusal on the other 13 games although PS will show every one of them anyway.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#23 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

According to PS the Beeb have first refusal for 13 more games. PS will show every game regardless.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#24 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

According to PS the Beeb have first refusal for 13 more games. PS will show every game regardless.

I just told them that!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#25 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I am reaally pleased about this. I hope/trust the BBC promote this properly rather than ignorantly patronising us...

#26 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I just told them that!

My phone had a GPRS signal
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

so its likely that Rugby League fans watching the BBC will only get to see England, Australia, New Zealand, PNG and one other team play...

They will also see England play Ireland and Fiji plus whoever they play in the QF.

#28 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

I assume this includes the semi's and QF's that England won't be involved in, and if BBC decide not to show them then can they be picked up by someone else?

In addition, if they are only commiting to the potential 6 England games and first refusal on 13 other, what is happening with the other 9 games?  Do Premier Sports have exclusive rights to these, or do you think there will be another round of tendering for these games?

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I assume this includes the semi's and QF's that England won't be involved in, and if BBC decide not to show them then can they be picked up by someone else?

In addition, if they are only commiting to the potential 6 England games and first refusal on 13 other, what is happening with the other 9 games?  Do Premier Sports have exclusive rights to these, or do you think there will be another round of tendering for these games?

PS will show every game.

#30 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

PS will show every game.

Get that, but do they have exclusive rights to the ones BBC wont show?  Or is there a chance of a third broadcaster?

#31 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

They will also see England play Ireland and Fiji plus whoever they play in the QF.

I got my groups mixed up.. thought we had the old group of death scenario for PNG again.. but it will still be England, Aus, NZ, Fiji, Ireland and one other.  Unless of course they decide to pick up more games, but that's unlikely ..

It will need to be a complete turnaround by the BBC if we are to get the level of promo we hope for..

to be honest i'm disappointed in the level of commitment by the BBC at this stage. Can only hope this highlights show makes up for some of the short comings. Though fully expect the superleague show, but with SL highlights swapped for World cup highlights.

Fingers crossed im wrong though, and it surpasses all expectations.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#32 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/22090001

There you have it.

#33 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

All looks good but I suppose the devils in the detail. You would think the fact they've sold the BBC the next 2 WC and two four nations means they haven't got them cheap. Also looking forward to seeing how Eddie will go about either dismissing or completely ignoring the WC after bigging it up for most of the year.

#34 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

All looks good but I suppose the devils in the detail. You would think the fact they've sold the BBC the next 2 WC and two four nations means they haven't got them cheap. Also looking forward to seeing how Eddie will go about either dismissing or completely ignoring the WC after bigging it up for most of the year.

Is there anything to stop hime working for the Beeb, or Premier during the World Cup? :unsure:  :O

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

Is there anything to stop hime working for the Beeb, or Premier during the World Cup? :unsure:  :O

A cordon of heavily-armed Rugby League fans?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#36 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

His (presumably) cushy Sky contract? Sky don't tend to employ many freelancers on their coverage

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I got my groups mixed up.. thought we had the old group of death scenario for PNG again.. but it will still be England, Aus, NZ, Fiji, Ireland and one other.  Unless of course they decide to pick up more games, but that's unlikely ..

It will need to be a complete turnaround by the BBC if we are to get the level of promo we hope for..

to be honest i'm disappointed in the level of commitment by the BBC at this stage. Can only hope this highlights show makes up for some of the short comings. Though fully expect the superleague show, but with SL highlights swapped for World cup highlights.

Fingers crossed im wrong though, and it surpasses all expectations.

I don't think it's a disaster from the BBC at the moment. They will basically have a World Cup game live on BBC tv every Saturday for 6 weeks.

I'm disappointed that they haven't also tried to take a Sunday game each week too, there are some potentially attractive ones:

NZ v Samoa

Wales v USA

Scotland v Italy

Wales v Cook Islands

QF

It would have felt more substantial if they had a live game every Saturday and Sunday for the duration of the tournament.

#38 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

I agree with that. And looking at the Sport on the Box website, there's not a huge amount of other sport on the BBC at the time.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#39 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

You would think the fact they've sold the BBC the next 2 WC and two four nations means they haven't got them cheap.

Hope so, but even regardless of the money it's good news to have a long-term commitment to international footy from the bbeb.

#40 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

A cordon of heavily-armed Rugby League fans?

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users