RLWC BBC

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Mostly happry with this, but would have to agree with Futtocks, it's a bit poor not showing both semis. Also I don't have Premier cos I'm on Virgin, but I guess that's my fault really.

This is the position I'm in, so I'm a bit miffed I won't be able to see a load of games. That said, Virgin have stated that they're happy to add Premier Sports to their sports channels but only if Premier can accept being a subscription channel. PS was hoping that Virgin would offer the channel for free, as they do with ESPN, but Virgin aren't keen on this. With PS expanding their offering to try and drive subscribers, they may go back and negotiate with Virgin some more. I certainly hope so.

Someone also mentioned earlier that PS were going to revamp their online streaming offering, so it might be possible for non-Sky viewers to subscribe that way and get to watch the World Cup later in the year. I'd be OK with that.

Still, if the Beeb do a good job with their games and highlights packages, plenty of terrestrial viewers/general sports fans will get to watch the World Cup. Given that it's in the UK this is great. Sure, they could have shown more games - for example on BBC Three, or the red button, but it's better than nothing. At the end of the day, terrestrial coverage is vital. If Sky took their bat and ball home because they wanted exclusive rights, IMG were right to walk away. We'll gain more by having England matches, the final etc on the Beeb IMHO.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#42 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

And everyone on this board can breathe easy, the world cup twitter feed has also announced the TV audience. =-O

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#43 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,945 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

It's on the BBC News Channel ticker at present: BBC to broadcast 2013 and 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

#44 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

All looks good but I suppose the devils in the detail. You would think the fact they've sold the BBC the next 2 WC and two four nations means they haven't got them cheap.

Perhaps it was buy one get two free? (With another one sellotaped on the side)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#45 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

I am a little underwhelmed with the Premier Sport aspect, but if they take it as their baby and really work hard on it then it could be a success.

My problem is it seems this deal is to make it available to rugby league fans, and them alone. And we're a pretty miserable bunch at times!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#46 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think Premier have exclusive rights to the other semi, 3 QFs and all the NZ and Aus games with the BBC not able to show any of them (except the Eng v Aus match). BBC can also opt to show any of the other group games if they want (the other 13 games).

Depending on results, there could end up being an England game not on BBC. Possibly even 2! (depending where we finish in the group)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#47 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

I have not watched PS since its v early start up days. Is it in HD? Do they do a good job of covering the game? As they have the NRL, maybe they could give us the Aussie coverage, which would be top class?

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

I think Premier have exclusive rights to the other semi, 3 QFs and all the NZ and Aus games with the BBC not able to show any of them (except the Eng v Aus match). BBC can also opt to show any of the other group games if they want (the other 13 games).

Depending on results, there could end up being an England game not on BBC. Possibly even 2! (depending where we finish in the group)

I don't think that's true is it?

They have the England QF and Semi final as far as I'm aware.

#49 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

I have not watched PS since its v early start up days. Is it in HD? Do they do a good job of covering the game? As they have the NRL, maybe they could give us the Aussie coverage, which would be top class?

Somebody mentioned on somewhere (vague I know!  :D ) that the actual broadcasting will be done by IMG, who sell the rights on and the pictures will be taken by Premier and the BBC. 

I think this is quite standard for major tournaments, so hopefully the broadcasting standards will be high, as Premier's commentary team is very good.

My main worry was that Premier would potentially cover it on the cheap but then I suppose these games will be shown across the world, so it makes sense that the broadcasting is centralised.

As for Premier - they have no HD channel - a pain, but I'll live with it to watch every game live!

#50 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

I know it won't happen and I know it's completely against the grain but the BBC should recognise that Rugby Leagues World Cup offers them a huge opportunity.

ITV grasped the nettle with Rugby Unions World Cup and they've watched that property grow into one of the Worlds largest sporting events. Rugby League has more challenges and is starting from a little further back but if the BBC and the IRLF get their act together then the RLWC could follow a similar trajectory as its RU counterpart. If its half as successful in 20 years time then everyone concerned will have benefited hugely, its going to take a lot of faith and a commitment to a long term vision but it's very doable and while innovation will be needed theres no need to reinvent the wheel.

#51 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

I don't think that's true is it?

They have the England QF and Semi final as far as I'm aware.

They have 1 of each, but they won't know which QF England are going to be in until after their TV schedules are finalised. So unless they're having both the QFs that England are likely to be in (for finishing first or second in the group) kick off at the same time, they'll have to pick one.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#52 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

I am a little underwhelmed with the Premier Sport aspect, but if they take it as their baby and really work hard on it then it could be a success.

My problem is it seems this deal is to make it available to rugby league fans, and them alone. And we're a pretty miserable bunch at times!

Yeah. As a Rugby League fan who has access to Premier Sports I have no complaints as I can watch every match if I choose to. But it's very much preaching to the converted - it'll get more RL fans subscribing to their service (and good for them), but it terms of raising awareness of the sport as a whole - which is what a world cup should do - the BBC deal is a bit of a halfway house. The England games are there and that's fantastic, but if that gives people a taste for it and they want to follow the rest of the tournament then it's unlikely they will have or go out to subscribe to Premier for it. The joy of big sporting events like this is people often will watch anything - see the olympics - and it's a shame a lot of people won't be able to see it. Not the end of the world, but a missed oppertunity perhaps.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#53 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

I don't think it's a disaster from the BBC at the moment. They will basically have a World Cup game live on BBC tv every Saturday for 6 weeks.

I'm disappointed that they haven't also tried to take a Sunday game each week too, there are some potentially attractive ones:

NZ v Samoa

Wales v USA

Scotland v Italy

Wales v Cook Islands

QF

It would have felt more substantial if they had a live game every Saturday and Sunday for the duration of the tournament.

BBC ALBA are always keen on broadcasting sport involving Scottish teams, although I'm not sure whether they've ever covered sports events from outwith Scotland. The difficulty would be finding Gaelic-speaking commentators with a working knowledge of rugby league. Shame, I've always wanted to know the Gaelic for "oo! e's knocked on!!".

S4C could be in with a chance of showing Welsh games. I remember the 1995 tournament, where most of the games were covered by either BBC or L!VE TV, HTV Wales did show the Welsh games with the commentary in Welsh (certainly the game in Swansea v Samoa).

RTE in Ireland??

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#54 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

They have 1 of each, but they won't know which QF England are going to be in until after their TV schedules are finalised. So unless they're having both the QFs that England are likely to be in (for finishing first or second in the group) kick off at the same time, they'll have to pick one.

I doubt the BBC will be lumbered with a non-England qf considering the entire deal is based on showing games exclusively featuring England. The BBC will provisionally schedule the QF England are most likely to play in, and then will alter the schedule if they don’t (much like the soccer world cup). I have a feeling all possible fixtures England might feature in will be at beeb friendly hours.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#55 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

This is the position I'm in, so I'm a bit miffed I won't be able to see a load of games. That said, Virgin have stated that they're happy to add Premier Sports to their sports channels but only if Premier can accept being a subscription channel. PS was hoping that Virgin would offer the channel for free, as they do with ESPN, but Virgin aren't keen on this. With PS expanding their offering to try and drive subscribers, they may go back and negotiate with Virgin some more. I certainly hope so.

Someone also mentioned earlier that PS were going to revamp their online streaming offering, so it might be possible for non-Sky viewers to subscribe that way and get to watch the World Cup later in the year. I'd be OK with that.

Still, if the Beeb do a good job with their games and highlights packages, plenty of terrestrial viewers/general sports fans will get to watch the World Cup. Given that it's in the UK this is great. Sure, they could have shown more games - for example on BBC Three, or the red button, but it's better than nothing. At the end of the day, terrestrial coverage is vital. If Sky took their bat and ball home because they wanted exclusive rights, IMG were right to walk away. We'll gain more by having England matches, the final etc on the Beeb IMHO.

back in negotiations with virgin.
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

I actually think there may be a change in what they do - announced quite soon.

They have announced the games based on rankings and expected qualifiers, but if England get off to a great start and beat the Aussies, then they will end up playing in Wrexham, potentially against Italy - which is lunacy.

Considering they pretty much handpicked the fixtures, they have made a slight pigs ear of the quarters IMHO.

They could have had a situation where England played at the DW no matter who they play against. It will be hard to do this now as if they finish 1st in the group they are lined up to play Wales in Wrexham, with the Aussies playing France at Wigan for example.

I'd have preferred if they would have said England at Wigan, Wales at Wrexham, and France in Perpignan - with the highest ranked team getting home advantage if any of these meet each other.

#57 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,945 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

see http://www.bbc.co.uk...erage-2017.html

Barbara Slater  barbara.slater@bbc.co.uk  is IIRC quite pro Rugby league and I'm sure would welcome positive feedback    on second thoughts, knowing rugby league fans.......better not.

#58 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I know it won't happen and I know it's completely against the grain but the BBC should recognise that Rugby Leagues World Cup offers them a huge opportunity.

ITV grasped the nettle with Rugby Unions World Cup and they've watched that property grow into one of the Worlds largest sporting events. Rugby League has more challenges and is starting from a little further back but if the BBC and the IRLF get their act together then the RLWC could follow a similar trajectory as its RU counterpart. If its half as successful in 20 years time then everyone concerned will have benefited hugely, its going to take a lot of faith and a commitment to a long term vision but it's very doable and while innovation will be needed theres no need to reinvent the wheel.

But this is the BBC we're talking about...the ones who manage to shoehorn in as much RUWC coverage into their normal news items as ITV does, despite the fact they don't have the TV rights

#59 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Oh God, I've just had a horrible thought - RAY FRENCH!! Oh well, it's better than having to listen to Ray Warren and Phil Gould bickering about whether to have the commentary box window open.

#60 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

They've thrown away all the hard work up to this point by having a majority of matches on Premier Sports. We either have to hope that Premier Sports explodes as a mainstream sports channel, or BBC have a change of heart and decide to show other games. The news about quarter and semi-final matches being exclusively on Premier is extremely distressing, I won't be able to watch the majority of the tournament as it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users