RLWC BBC

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#61 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

I know it won't happen and I know it's completely against the grain but the BBC should recognise that Rugby Leagues World Cup offers them a huge opportunity.

ITV grasped the nettle with Rugby Unions World Cup and they've watched that property grow into one of the Worlds largest sporting events. Rugby League has more challenges and is starting from a little further back but if the BBC and the IRLF get their act together then the RLWC could follow a similar trajectory as its RU counterpart. If its half as successful in 20 years time then everyone concerned will have benefited hugely, its going to take a lot of faith and a commitment to a long term vision but it's very doable and while innovation will be needed theres no need to reinvent the wheel.

Let's hope the BBC's coverage of the World Cup is better than ITV's coverage of RU's WC.

#62 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Premier sports made some changes as a result of this. Let's face it, it's easily the biggest sports event they've ever had.

I'm not disappointed or bowled over by the deal tbh. At least some of the less credible games will not be shown free to air at peak times. Sadly for the tournament that it's a bonus that many games will be off the radar.

#63 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Seems a good deal.The only people who will complain,are those who would never go to a game and claim to 'support' the game via their armchair and Sky.The same people would also complain if the games weren't shown on the BBC.

As we don't know what Sky offered,noone can claim the RFL should have gone with Sky.

What about people who live abroad and can see it on the beeb but not on ps? Can they complain?

#64 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Off the radar more like off the bloody planet with all due respect to PS its a mickey mouse broadcasting outfit that hardly anyone has ever heard of .

Lets get real here for once.

CM

it is a fantastic deal every single game on premier sports a shedful on the beeb, bt, and virgin also probably on board.
with all due respect canetman you are i think a tad jealous.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#65 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

it is a fantastic deal every single game on premier sports a shedful on the beeb, bt, and virgin also probably on board.
with all due respect canetman you are i think a tad jealous.

whilst I dont agree with CM - its hardly a shedful of games on the beeb.
So far its 6 from 28.

#66 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

for the bbc 6 games is a shedful.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss

#67 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

This looks good news to me. Six Saturday's in a row, live match on the BBC. Should help push up advertising revenue and if the BBC do it properly using their other "platforms" should be a good event. I'll be at most matches, so it doesn't really affect me, but be nice to be able to watch them all again when I get home.

#68 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

for the bbc 6 games is a shedful.

iirc it's fewer than they screened in 2000.

#69 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

iirc it's fewer than they screened in 2000.

err that was 13 years ago things have changed,be happy with what we have, for me it's great because i can cancel my sky sports as soon as the GF is over.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss

#70 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

err that was 13 years ago things have changed,be happy with what we have, for me it's great because i can cancel my sky sports as soon as the GF is over.

im grateful that we can watch every game, but this isnt a brilliant deal.

Last year the BBC broadcast a France v Wales game live - this time they have hand picked only the biggest of games - although its worth noting they seem to have some more options.

It's good that the BBC appear committed to the England team - but they havent shown anything which suggests they are overly committed to the tournament itself.

#71 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Good points :-

1. Every game being shown on one channel or another
2. Some terrestrial prime time coverage
3. Possibility of other broadcasting opportunities

Bad points :-

1. Probably not a great financial deal
2. Loss of promotion on Sky Sports thus not 'hyping' to the general sports audience on the biggest sports broadcaster - lets face it, Sky simply ignore anything they don't have the rights to

If alternative revenues can be found to mitigate both of the bad points then it could be a good thing. One thing it has highlighted though is how little Sky value the sport. It was mentioned on here after the Leeds v Wire game that there seemed to be a general negativity running through the commentary - I reckon we know why now.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#72 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

I missed thread and posted this elsewhere:

"Ok looks like most games on Premier Sports, and only one Q/F and one S/F (unbelievable!) on the BBC; pretty poor show if u ask me!

surely the 4 Q/F and BOTH S/F need to be on the BBC !

and ticket sales yet to top 100,000"

AND:

""The BBC will show all England games live, starting with the opening ceremony at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on October 26 and the clash with Australia, as well as a quarter-final, a semi-final and the Old Trafford final on November 30."

A total of just 6 games on free-to-air !!!!"

#73 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

I really hope that they get Brian carney and Jon wells onto the bbc commentary, informed opinion without filling the shorty dumb northerner stereotype which seems to get pumped out, plus, I'm already cringing at the thought of Jonathan Davies getting names wrong!

#74 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Wiltshire Rhino, on 10 Apr 2013 - 20:45, said:
According to PS the Beeb have first refusal for 13 more games. PS will show every game regardless.

What does this "first refusal" mean?

Why don't the BBC just commit to broadcasting these mysterious 13 games????

#75 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

so its likely that Rugby League fans watching the BBC will only get to see England, Australia, New Zealand, PNG and one other team play...

Surely they will see Ireland and Fiji given that England play them in the groups??

#76 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

Surely, at the VERY least, the BBC must show BOTH semis, and hopefully ALL FOUR Q/Fs … surely !!!???

#77 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

Surely, at the VERY least, the BBC must show BOTH semis, and hopefully ALL FOUR Q/Fs … surely !!!???

They didnt previiusly in 2000 - Sky had the Wales v Oz semi.

I also see no reason why they should show all 4 qf's they have never ever shown 4 live games over 1 weekend.

Id like to see more of a commitment to Wales and like I said earlier a game every sat and sun would give them 10 games and would feel quite substantial.

#78 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

yes, 10 games plus BOTH semis on the BBC would be acceptable

also, looking on the bright side: " BBC's deal also includes the Four Nations tournaments in 2014 and 2016 and the next World Cup in 2017.'

At least that means RL fans are guaranteed a Four Nations tournament in 2014 and 2016 and a World Cup in 2017 i.e. a bit of international RL forward calendar planning: incredible !!!

and 2015? An Ashes tour? Great Britain v Oz?

or a ridiculous expansion of the WCC ?

#79 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

If alternative revenues can be found to mitigate both of the bad points then it could be a good thing. One thing it has highlighted though is how little Sky value the sport. It was mentioned on here after the Leeds v Wire game that there seemed to be a general negativity running through the commentary - I reckon we know why now.

To be fair to Sky, given the amount they pay for it, I'm sure they value SL quite highly. It's just the other parts of the sport that they clearly dont put as high a value on. As for the Leeds v Warrington game, I detected a great deal of positivity. Just unfortunate it was only directed towards one of the teams.

#80 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Typical BBC r.l. audience figure 2,000,000.

Typical Sky   r.l audience figure    200,000.

Wonder what the advertisers think?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users