Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Jim Parr RIP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi all just got back from my dads ( former Hornets player Bernard McGurrin) and he informed me of the death of his former team mate Jim Parr who passed away on April 4th, Jim was 78yrs of age, and died in hospital following a brave battle against kidney failure. His funeral will be held at Charnock Richard crematorium on April 18th 1-00pm. The family have requested family flowers only or donations if desired to Age UK, c/o the funeral director messrs B Livesey ltd, tel 01257 262602.
The family have also requested bright colours be worn as a celebration of his life.
I know Jim was well liked by Hornets supporters of his era, RIP Jim.

#2 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

I remember Jim Parr playing for us in the sixties. He was a very good player who always gave 100%. I think he played in the second row or loose forward. My condolences to his family.

There was another Parr played for us around that time - Ken Parr I think. Not sure if they were related.

I also remember Bernard McGurrin playing for us. He was a skilful player with a good rugby brain. I think he played stand off or loose forward. Dinosore please correct me if I'm wrong.

#3 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yes Pedro dad played stand off or loose forward, he signed for Hornets from Wigan where he probably had a pretty even split between 6 and 13 with a few games at centre, i think at Hornets he played much more as a loose forward, Jim Parr also played at Wigan ( they are both Wigan born) starting out at centre and as you say moving into the back row in later years.
As far as i know Ken Parr was not related but i will enquire and let you know.

#4 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Dinosore. Thanks for the quick reply.

Please give your Dad the best wishes of a long time Hornet's supporter. Was your Dad in the 57-58 cup semi final Wigan team that beat us 5-3? I was 9 at the time and had to miss the match as my cousin was getting married. I was sure that if I had been there cheering Hornets on we would have won!!!

I know your Dad got a winners medal that year.

Edited by Pedro, 10 April 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#5 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

No he didn't play in the semi, he was actually in dispute with Wigan at the time although he did play in the final against Workington at wembley, Wigan won 13-9 dad played loose forward. He will be 80 himself this July god willing, i will certainly pass on your good wishes.

#6 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

Dinosore, if you can get some details about Jim Parr I'll put an obituary in the next programme.

My email is andy.pugwash@live.co.uk

Thanks.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#7 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Dinosore, if you can get some details about Jim Parr I'll put an obituary in the next programme.

My email is andy.pugwash@live.co.uk

Thanks.

Loads of info in the Observer Puggie, I'm sure you can extract what you need from that.

Condolances to Jim's family and RIP Jim.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#8 cjp0349

cjp0349
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Hi Everyone

Bit late coming in on this one but Jim Parr is my Dad and I would just like to thank you all for your kind words and comments.

Just to let you know his funeral was a fantastic celebration of his life and he would have been very proud of the turnout. Several ex-Hornets were in attendance, Norman Short helped carry the coffin and Ray Myers gave a great eulogy in his own inimitable style.

Dad had great memories of his time at Hornets and would be very flattered to know he is remembered so fondly.

For those of you that read Harry Edgars Rugby League Journal I will be helping to comply Dads obituary for a forethcoming issue and supplying him with some great old Hornets photos from Dads collection for future publication

Once again thanks and best wishes to you all  :)

Carl

PS Regards to your Dad dinosore and Jim and Ken were not related

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users