League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

12/04/13 - St Helens v Catalan Dragons - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted St Helens (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. Catalan Dragons (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Draw (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

big walmsley over for saints!

#42 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Walmsley in....tense finish on the way

#43 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Oooofffff

#44 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

So nearly there......

#45 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

We had a few excellent performers in that one (namely Walmsley and Soliola) and we showed a lot of effort in defence. Our organisation and attacking structure is just appalling but that's nothing new this season.

Well done Catalans, the better team from start to finish despite the close scoreline.

#46 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

saints aren't  very good!

#47 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Totally agree that Les Cats were the better team - Sky team still going on about Saints!
They got beaten well by a better team Ffs!
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#48 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

We had a few excellent performers in that one (namely Walmsley and Soliola) 

Agreed....would love to see either of those in a Widnes shirt

#49 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Agreed....would love to see either of those in a Widnes shirt

Think I'd take Casty over both of them on that performance!
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#50 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Totally agree that Les Cats were the better team - Sky team still going on about Saints!
They got beaten well by a better team Ffs!

Agreed. My enjoyment of the game improved out of all proportion when I disconnected the sound from the live stream.....

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#51 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

Exactly how many players have saints got out injured, are they counting long Scunthorpe and Kevin iro as injured I was sick of hearing about it! Catalans have injury problems too and it was a good game.

Walmsley looks immense and remi casty is unbelievable
Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#52 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

Think I'd take Casty over both of them on that performance!

Casty is a beast to be fair

#53 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Anyone else think Nathan Brown should be planning a trip to Red hall next week after he referred to Phil Bentham as 'the dumbo in the middle' in his post match interview on Sky?

There was also a nice example of pot calling the kettle black when he criticised the Cats of being coached to slow the game down.  :O  This from the bloke who had is players at the Giants 'lying on' so long they deserved tucking up with a pillow and a blanket to make them feel right at home.  <_<

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#54 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Especially as Saints were and are past masters of slowing the game.

But yes he should be carpeted for it

#55 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Very different catalans team in terms of attitude last night fro the hull game, good game enjoyed it

#56 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Gerri Monside, on 12 Apr 2013 - 22:10, said:
Agreed. My enjoyment of the game improved out of all proportion when I disconnected the sound from the live stream.....

it wasn't just me then, I thought my Wigan bias against Saints had got the better of me.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#57 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Anyone else think Nathan Brown should be planning a trip to Red hall next week after he referred to Phil Bentham as 'the dumbo in the middle' in his post match interview on Sky?

There was also a nice example of pot calling the kettle black when he criticised the Cats of being coached to slow the game down.  :O  This from the bloke who had is players at the Giants 'lying on' so long they deserved tucking up with a pillow and a blanket to make them feel right at home.  <_<

Personally I hope he does.  I hate it when coaches blame the ref for their poor coaching/poor team performance (and in this instance I think it was a mixture of both).  It looks weak and pathetic.  I've yet to be convinced by Brown.  He hasn't zapped up our team with the same backs against the wall attitude we showed in 2011 when we had a worse injury crisis.

Edited by Saintslass, 13 April 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#58 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Caught the last 20 minutes of the Sky coverage, I really do wish Clarke would give it a rest at times. Someone needs to tell him that sometimes less is definitely more.

Other than the BBC SL show highlights, this is the first time I have seen Saints this season. Of course the injuries to the likes of Roby and Lomax will have an impact and the imbalanced squad doesn't help (neither LMS or Laffranchi are props for me, the half back mess continues). Overall I thought they (Saints) were poor and devoid of any real attacking nouse, and seemed to have continued the one out rugby from last season. Only Sia and the Bulldog showed any kind of spirit and go forward.

Comparing Saints to Wigan, Wire and Leeds one thing stands out for me and that is how much better conditioned those three teams seem to be compared to Saints. I know that Bath were very critical of the medical/ conditioning treatment that Eastmond had at Saints and I think this is something the club needs to look at.

As for Brown, well he seems to have had an up and down record at Huddersfield and I suspect it will be the same at Saints. It is however interesting to read some of the comments coming out of Huddersfield this season about how different and better the team is being run in 2013 and how much this is a reflection on how Brown was doing things there.

Oh, and what has happened to the Saints pitch. I know they had many years to get the pitch at the old girl (Knowsley Rd) just right but Langtree looks a mess. 

#59 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Caught the last 20 minutes of the Sky coverage, I really do wish Clarke would give it a rest at times. Someone needs to tell him that sometimes less is definitely more.

Other than the BBC SL show highlights, this is the first time I have seen Saints this season. Of course the injuries to the likes of Roby and Lomax will have an impact and the imbalanced squad doesn't help (neither LMS or Laffranchi are props for me, the half back mess continues). Overall I thought they (Saints) were poor and devoid of any real attacking nouse, and seemed to have continued the one out rugby from last season. Only Sia and the Bulldog showed any kind of spirit and go forward.

Comparing Saints to Wigan, Wire and Leeds one thing stands out for me and that is how much better conditioned those three teams seem to be compared to Saints. I know that Bath were very critical of the medical/ conditioning treatment that Eastmond had at Saints and I think this is something the club needs to look at.

As for Brown, well he seems to have had an up and down record at Huddersfield and I suspect it will be the same at Saints. It is however interesting to read some of the comments coming out of Huddersfield this season about how different and better the team is being run in 2013 and how much this is a reflection on how Brown was doing things there.

Oh, and what has happened to the Saints pitch. I know they had many years to get the pitch at the old girl (Knowsley Rd) just right but Langtree looks a mess.

Agree with most of that. As for the pitch they had KR pretty much to themselves apart from a few St Helen's town games. LP has been well used recently. In the last few weeks they had Liverpool under 18s who use it regularly a woman's FA cup semi final and the recent Blackbrook CC game. They are just the games I know about there could be others.

#60 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Agree with most of that. As for the pitch they had KR pretty much to themselves apart from a few St Helen's town games. LP has been well used recently. In the last few weeks they had Liverpool under 18s who use it regularly a woman's FA cup semi final and the recent Blackbrook CC game. They are just the games I know about there could be others.

So it is the football making a mess of the rugby pitch? Makes a nice change for it to be that way round!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users