Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

12/04/13 - St Helens v Catalan Dragons - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted St Helens (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. Catalan Dragons (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Draw (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

So it is the football making a mess of the rugby pitch? Makes a nice change for it to be that way round!

The excuse/reason I was given was the weather.

I think the last soccer match to be played on the pitch was during the first week of the rugby season.  It was an under 21s match.  Other than that there have been under 19s played.  But personally it wouldn't surprise me if it simply hasn't been maintained correctly.  It is a complex and expensive pitch and I remember reading at the time of its construction on the website of the company which constructed it that it required detailed and quite expensive maintenance to keep it in fine fettle.  It looks like a vegetable patch.

#62 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

What is interesting is the comments of ex-giants players who left after last season, saying they had stopped enjoying the game under Brown

End of last season our poor showing could be very much put down to having a team held together with strapping - too many players busted all season actually

This season as a Giants fan, yes there is an element of waiting to see if it goes belly up again, after losing to Salford and Wire I though it might have, but they bounced back quickly, and have shown they can close out tight games and there seems to be a better sense of determination from them too

Still, lets see at the end if May lol

#63 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Caught the last 20 minutes of the Sky coverage, I really do wish Clarke would give it a rest at times. Someone needs to tell him that sometimes less is definitely more.

Clarke is the least of my worries when it come to Sky's coverage.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#64 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

For me, the Saints are playing predictable rugby league and lacking imagination. Injuries have to be accepted as part and parcel of the sport and not made an excuse. Great sides overcome injuries. Twice in the second-half a Saints player got tackled on the sixth tackle count whilst near to the sticks. A grubber kick should have been executed to keep the pressure on. Cats played well and good luck to them. 

#65 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

The excuse/reason I was given was the weather.

I think the last soccer match to be played on the pitch was during the first week of the rugby season.  It was an under 21s match.  Other than that there have been under 19s played.  But personally it wouldn't surprise me if it simply hasn't been maintained correctly.  It is a complex and expensive pitch and I remember reading at the time of its construction on the website of the company which constructed it that it required detailed and quite expensive maintenance to keep it in fine fettle.  It looks like a vegetable patch.

This is a pretty good article about the Langtree Park pitch and the fact that it is a hi-spec pitch requiring completely different maintenance to the old Knowsley Rd pitch and raises issues as to whether or not the club will know how to look after the fibresand construction. It specifically makes reference of the significant maintenance costs, and it would not surprise if as you say the club have not been looking after it for whatever reason.

http://www.pitchcare...eague-club.html

I know the weather has been dire, but as you say it does look a vegetable patch and very poor for something so new. 

Edited by foozler, 13 April 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#66 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

It looks to me as if Saints could struggle for a while before things get much better. I can't see any improvement in them from Brown's coaching - if anything their old problems have remained and new ones have been introduced. Their backs are nothing special, they have some average forwards and they seem to have no clue as to who to play where in their spine.
I think that you could put together a very good pack from Roby - TP - Meli - Walmsley - Clough (or alternative hard worker) - and another prop, with one of Wilkin or Flannagan interchanging, but I cannot see how you turn that back line into one to match the top 4 (plus any injuries to those forwards leaves mediocre players in their place).
In retrospect Rush and KC did a terrific job to get them as far as he did.
How things change - didn't someone predict Saints for top and Wigan to miss out on the 8?

#67 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

It looks to me as if Saints could struggle for a while before things get much better. I can't see any improvement in them from Brown's coaching - if anything their old problems have remained and new ones have been introduced. Their backs are nothing special, they have some average forwards and they seem to have no clue as to who to play where in their spine.
I think that you could put together a very good pack from Roby - TP - Meli - Walmsley - Clough (or alternative hard worker) - and another prop, with one of Wilkin or Flannagan interchanging, but I cannot see how you turn that back line into one to match the top 4 (plus any injuries to those forwards leaves mediocre players in their place).
How things change - didn't someone predict Saints for top and Wigan to miss out on the 8?

I would say that the backline is the least of our problems at present.  It seems very harsh to class young talents such as Percival and Swift as 'nothing special' when they've both had limited game time in which they've shown promising signs.  Makinson is also still raw and you could possibly say the same about Turner (who's actually proved to be a decent acquisition).  If these players can kick on (and I know it's always a big if) then the future of our backline may well be rosy.  For now Meli remains one of the best finishers in the league and Gardner brings experience and a steadying influence, so while we don't have the best backline in the league it's not in too bad a place at the moment and has plenty of future potential.

The halves are by far the main issue but the pack also needs a fair amount of work, and with the players likely to leave come the season's end we should have the cap space to do it.  Time will tell.

Edited by MrFussy, 13 April 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#68 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

This is a pretty good article about the Langtree Park pitch and the fact that it is a hi-spec pitch requiring completely different maintenance to the old Knowsley Rd pitch and raises issues as to whether or not the club will know how to look after the fibresand construction. It specifically makes reference of the significant maintenance costs, and it would not surprise if as you say the club have not been looking after it for whatever reason.

http://www.pitchcare...eague-club.html

I know the weather has been dire, but as you say it does look a vegetable patch and very poor for something so new. 

That was the article I remembered reading last year.

Seems that the club were not prepared to pay the £25,000 in fungicides, etc to maintain it properly!

#69 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Rush was as successful as he was last year in part because he got Saints playing the most boring brand of rugby I remember watching them play.  I gave up watching Saints when the Olympics and Paralympics were on because I was that bored at matches.  It was sleep inducing stuff. 

Saints have suffered in part from a lack of forward planning, letting all our halfbacks go (even to the point of packing the last one standing off to Salford) and not recruiting sufficient props, then trying to fit square pegs in round holes now that it has all gone pear shaped.

But aside from all that, what disappoints me most this year about Saints as a Saints fan is their lack of enthusiasm on the pitch.  I remember 2011 when we had a much worse injury crisis but back then we developed a real backs to the wall mentality that saw us fight back in every game and play until the last second but then in those days we still had James Graham in the team and he was our last leader.  Nobody is either willing or able to take on the mantle of leader now. 

In addition, I've yet to even starting being convinced about Brown's coaching ability.

#70 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

A lack of enthusiasm was evident against Catalan. 

Rush was as successful as he was last year in part because he got Saints playing the most boring brand of rugby I remember watching them play.  I gave up watching Saints when the Olympics and Paralympics were on because I was that bored at matches.  It was sleep inducing stuff. 

Saints have suffered in part from a lack of forward planning, letting all our halfbacks go (even to the point of packing the last one standing off to Salford) and not recruiting sufficient props, then trying to fit square pegs in round holes now that it has all gone pear shaped.

But aside from all that, what disappoints me most this year about Saints as a Saints fan is their lack of enthusiasm on the pitch.  I remember 2011 when we had a much worse injury crisis but back then we developed a real backs to the wall mentality that saw us fight back in every game and play until the last second but then in those days we still had James Graham in the team and he was our last leader.  Nobody is either willing or able to take on the mantle of leader now. 

In addition, I've yet to even starting being convinced about Brown's coaching ability.

A lack of enthusiasm was evident against Catalan, bordering on the boring at times. 

#71 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

A lack of enthusiasm was evident against Catalan, bordering on the boring at times. 

Totally agree.  We haven't been the most enthusiastic of sides all season but it has gotten worse lately and frankly I'm getting tired of it.  I don't mind us being a mid table team (which at present we are) but I want us to be a mid table team with enthusiasm and fire in the belly!  Not a bunch of limp wrists (bar the same old few who turn up each and every game).

#72 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Anyone else think Nathan Brown should be planning a trip to Red hall next week after he referred to Phil Bentham as 'the dumbo in the middle' in his post match interview on Sky?

Seems to be the done thing this year; first Betts, then McDermott and now Brown.

(What I found interesting was Cummins said at the forum last night he hasn't even phoned the RFL regarding refs)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#73 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Anyone else think Nathan Brown should be planning a trip to Red hall next week after he referred to Phil Bentham as 'the dumbo in the middle' in his post match interview on Sky?

Let's hope so.

If he really did say that then that's outrageous.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#74 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Let's hope so.

If he really did say that then that's outrageous.

Believe me, he said it.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#75 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Believe me, he said it.

Yep, he did.

#76 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Totally agree. We haven't been the most enthusiastic of sides all season but it has gotten worse lately and frankly I'm getting tired of it. I don't mind us being a mid table team (which at present we are) but I want us to be a mid table team with enthusiasm and fire in the belly! Not a bunch of limp wrists (bar the same old few who turn up each and every game).

As a Giants fan you are entirely describing us from last season under Brown.

#77 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users