Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

14/04/13 - Bradford Bulls v Wigan Warriors - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Bradford Bulls (7 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. Voted Wigan Warriors (14 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

3. Draw (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

6 - 36 Sammut

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#22 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Bradford down to 12, Whitehead sin binned after a team warning. Last 5 minutes. Still 6 -36.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#23 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

6 - 36 FT

Bradford managed to draw the second half 6 -6. :)

Edited by Griff9of13, 14 April 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#24 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Need to compose myself before summarising that.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#25 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Feck. :angry:

But to say I saw it coming would be an understatment. Wigan were good, very clinical but not exceptional. It's no wonder why they're say at the top of the league. We're missing a real impact prop, someone who won't stop at the line, and we were very sloppy at times, the wind took at least three kick offs out on the full either over the side line or in-goal line and too much dropped ball to be a real threat, an improved second half from the Jekyll and Hyde Bulls make no mistake that Wigan didn't put the cue on the rack, and I don't think Wane will admit to that, but we stopped letting Farrell waltz through the line as much! Some experienced players let the Bulls down in Walker, Langley and to an extent Kearney who wasn't brilliant. We're not looking at top 3, we're looking at 6-8 so a loss yes, but not the drubbing of last season against an arguably more composed Wigan this season. Still, time to look back through the thread for the expected swipes! :rolleyes:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

... and Tim Roby was the usual Tim Roby, we might as well get used to seeing him at Odsal.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

The result was a fair reflection of both teams' performance.

We were treated to both sides of referee Tim Roby .... Laurel and Hardy.

<_< <_<

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#28 Mortis

Mortis
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

A truly woeful first half from the Bulls. Wigan's first try had a hint of luck to it but the others were all deserved.

If anyone had said to me at the beginning of this year that Bradford would be 5th after 12 rounds, I would have laughed at them. I think they've proved a few doubters wrong
I'm not mad but I am...

Donkeys forever, forever Donkeys!

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

One thing that was telling to me was after that poor first half, the lads were still clapped off the pitch at half time by the fans as if we were a lot, lot closer.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Bradford have come a long way, and will go further before they're done. They have some great young forwards, a good spine and a young, talented coach. I would not rule out a Wembley trip in the next couple of years.

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Bradford have come a long way, and will go further before they're done. They have some great young forwards, a good spine and a young, talented coach. I would not rule out a Wembley trip in the next couple of years.

Pre-season I tipped a Hull derby, but seeing how coincidences happen like at Leeds with the McDermott's, I'm going for a Bradford Cup final double at Wembley.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

We were treated to both sides of referee Tim Roby .... Laurel and Hardy.
<_< <_<

Interesting to note that today seemed an almost carbon copy of the Saints home game also reffed by Roby - although to be fair to the bloke he also reffed the Salford match Easter Monday and there weren't too many complaints at that. I do think he can be out of his depth a lot though - wouldn't have liked him in charge had the match been closer - I do think it was quite comical at the end, but it didn't wind me up as much as some people. Of the matches I've seen him take charge of so far, he lets a lot go for any teams that take control of the PTB.

Had to admire Wigan today, definitely the best team I've watched this year. I enjoyed how we kept it low in the second half, even if Wigan took their foot off the gas somewhat. Not too downhearted, like someone else said I'm glad we're even 5th this far in as I didn't think we had a chance at the playoffs at the start of the year. Barring a total collapse, we should sneak in (although I've said this before...!)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#33 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Also on the crowd - 9,900. Looked to be more than that there - Wigan had a good turnout. Would any Bulls fans at both say there looked to be less fans than the opener against Wakey, as I wouldn't (our best crowd so far - 10k IIRC)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Where I was sat in the stand seemed busier than usual.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Wigan were good for sure and deserved the win, but not the scoreline. Everything was handed to them on a plate in the first half by either us or the official. Two ricochet tries and one where Kearny simply dropped the ball into Farrell's hands. We kicked the ball out on the full three times from the restart also.

In the game against Salford it took Roby into the second half to blow for ruck indicipline whereas yesterday he seemed to be on it for us from the outset. And Wigan are superb at slowing the ruck without infringing. The wind was playing havock with the passing and it was seemingly accepted that forward passes were ok as a consequence.

Interesting at the end that Cummins was unusually critical of the ref and cited a number of players with head and face injuries sustained in high or grapple tackles that were allowed to go.

It always seems churlish to have a go at the ref when you've lost, but I think most fans will agree that yesterday Mr Roby was especially awful. But like I said at the start, Wigan were worth their win, just not the scoreline.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#36 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Watching the try's last night and it did seem Wigan had some inordinate luck for several of their scores

#37 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,076 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

the better they play, the luckier they get?

#38 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

the better they play, the luckier they get?

Probably right to an extent, if we had Clarke's coloured patchy things the first half was probably 75% in the Bulls half, we really struggled at times with the Wigan defence*, our kicking out of hand and from the kick offs were poor bar one which forced an error from Farrell - yep, he makes them! - but the short kicking from Green and Smith forced about 3 drop outs in the first half. I was a little disgruntled at Wane's comments about being unhappy about the second half being only 6-6, we woke and tried a lot harder and smarter and played more to our potential.

(*this game was similar to the Saints defeat in the the ruck was slow, but Wigan earned it more rather than just lying on)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

... there was a visible difference in Wigan's approach to this game - affirmed at the press conference - in that they didn't try to run around us, the infamous outside backs loading combination was nowhere to be seen, this was all up front and in the middle third of the pitch to the point where Charnley was almost anonymous on the flank, him and Richards were certainly nullified. Dudson ran hard and reminded me of the last Burgess off these shores. But much like Manu in the Saints whooping, we struggled with Farrell's running. Even S Tomkins wasn't allowed to skip around us like last season.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users