Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kingstone Press Championship One - Week 2

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most looking forward to? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most looking forward to?

1. Oxford v South Wales Scorpions (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

2. North Wales Crusaders v London Skolars (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

3. Gloucestershire All Golds v Oldham (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. Hemel Stags v Gateshead Thunder (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

I think anyone would have to agree that to build a sport in a new area it helps to have a figurehead club with a good proportion of local players in the squad. I think it made a statement when the first few players North Wales Crusaders signed when they got their licence were from Wrexham and in every single game the club has played to date there have been players who were brought up less than five miles from the ground.

I don't think many clubs could say the same and certainly not the Super League club that as there previously.

There's always going to be a balance between bringing in experienced players and bringing local through but fair play, for a region that didn't have Rugby League till 2010' you can't knock the development side...

#62 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,293 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

Nobody is knocking them. We just want to see successful expansion. I would not like them to make the same mistakes that other clubs have made in the past.

Long-term, they need Welsh players, otherwise they will always be trapped at a certain level paying over the odds for heartlands players that the likes of Swinton did not want. They'll never get first pick of the semi-pro players from Lancashire or Cheshire. They could get the first pick of the players in North Wales. One or two might go on to play SL and that's good for the Welsh game too.

#63 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

Looking at the Crusaders current playing squad it would seem that about a third are Welsh qualified and benefiting from being in a winning regime put together by Griffiths. I'd say for a team in their second year in a development area that's pretty good going and hopefully that third will grow.

I gather they have added under 16's and under 14's this year to last year 18's and just two weeks ago set up a wheelchair team. I don't think anyone can knock the effort of everyone involved to make the sport grow in Wales and what Cru and scorpions are doing should be commended...

What is fair to say is that Clive has brought some key players in from over the border but in the vast majority of cases he's taken boys from amateur clubs and given them a chance to step up at this level and they're repaying in spades. Plus the likes of Moulsdale and Durbin had been cast aside by the pro game and have now been resurrected.

On top of that they stayed away from DR offers on the basis of giving more opportunities to their squad including local players so its hard to criticise really....

That is excellent news, and the commitment to establishing rugby league in the area should be continued. I don't think anyone has suggested that the whole squad should be Welsh, but developing talent from the area and giving that talent the opportunity to test itself at a higher level is obviously a priority. That should be welcomed.

One of the great things about the new CC1 is that expansion clubs do not have to stretch themselves too much to be competitive. 

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#64 welshwire13

welshwire13
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Nobody is knocking them. We just want to see successful expansion. I would not like them to make the same mistakes that other clubs have made in the past.

Long-term, they need Welsh players, otherwise they will always be trapped at a certain level paying over the odds for heartlands players that the likes of Swinton did not want. They'll never get first pick of the semi-pro players from Lancashire or Cheshire. They could get the first pick of the players in North Wales. One or two might go on to play SL and that's good for the Welsh game too.

It is a long term goal. The groundwork is now in place in terms of grassroots but there isn't a definitive player pathway as of yet (in the North at leasr). Hopefully in 3-4 years we will see a predominately homegrown squad but in the meantime, the good Welsh players will be snapped up by Wigan.

#65 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

I wonder how many Hemel born players are in the Hemel squad. My good mate Mike Forgham played for my team - Eccles ARLFC for the last 2 seasons before being "bussed down" to Hemel, and he's Australian anyhow. I wonder how many Oxford lads are in the Oxford team. I'm not knocking these clubs - I'm defending mine - Celtic/North Wales Crusaders. As for Blackpool, they tried hard for many years to establish the game on the Fylde coast and I have Blackpool Borough programmes going back to the 1950's. They were doing well enough until they had to move out to Fylde RUFC. I went to support Blackpool, in its various forms as often as I could, as I do most development teams. The Town of Blackpool has too many other distractions as can be seen by the demise of Blackpool Stanley and Blackpool Scorpions, but they do still have the oldest continuous Rugby League supporters club in Lancashire. Its a shame the RFL didn't put as much effort into saving Blackpool as they did Bradford. I know all the posters on here want the same thing but I just can't accept the critisicm of what Crusaders are doing.

#66 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,293 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

And I used to watch Blackpool Panthers but it was painfully obvious that they were Chorley Panthers under a different name. The fans all seemed to be from Chorley. It is a shame that they are not still going as they would suit this league.

I do not care how many Hemel players are from Hemel itself so much; Hemel is a town not a country, as is Oxford. I don't insist on Crusaders players coming from Wrexham - anywhere in the North Wales region is fine (or Mid Wales either).

Hemel is very self-sufficient in terms of locally produced players, there are even Hemel produced players in SL. Oxford are a new club and need to work on local produced players. They have made a good start but long-term, they have to cut down on their Lancastrians.

And you are "defending your club" against nothing. Nobody said that Crusaders (this incarnation anyway) are a bad club just that one measure of success is results, another is attendances / finance and another is local player production. You seem to dismiss the latter as unimportant when it is critical to the long-term success of an expansion (and even heartland) club.

#67 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Fair enough, but the semi-pro club were never known as Panthers. Chorley Panthers are an amateur side who are still playing now. Blackpool Borough moved to Wigan Athletic's old Springfield Park ground in 1987 and changed their name to Springfield Borough. After one season they moved to Chorley and became Chorley Borough, but after one season again they moved to Altrincham FC and became Trafford Borough. A new Chorley RLFC was formed for the start of the 1989-90 season and they played at Chorley until 1996 when they moved  to Preston North End FC and changed their name to Lancashire Lynx. They moved back to Chorley and became Chorley Lynx in 2000 until moving to Blackpool in 2004 where they did become Blackpool Panthers.

#68 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

In fact, from memory I think Chorley Lynx. and they may have dropped Lynx from the title, just folded and Blackpool Panthers were a completely new club. I watched the last game at Chorley, against York and it was one of the most exciting games of RL I have ever seen.

#69 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,293 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

I was at the first game as Blackpool Panthers. They may have claimed to be a new side but :-

a) almost all the players were "ex-Chorley"

B) the fans turned up in Chorley gear

c) the supporters club were based in Chorley

d) they never applied for a NL2 slot, they took Chorley's slot 

#70 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Look, I think everyone on this thread is about an inch away from agreeing with each other so let's clarify.

1) we all agree that saving RL in North Wales was the right thing to do
2) everyone has worked very hard to do that
3) the game inNorth Wales is expanding due to everyone's hard work
4) having a competitive C1 team helps that effort
5) local players are essential
6) everyone should do all they can to increase numbers of local players

I don't think anyone would argue with th above?

#71 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

I could cause an argument in an empty house Mr AlwaysCru! Lol! Think I was at Blackpool Panthers first match as well. Was it against Swinton in a Northern Rail cup match. Night match at Bloomfield road if I remember rightly? If I hadn't just finished a nightshift I would dig out the last prgramme from Chorley and the first from Blackpool Panthers and check the team sheets. Ha ha! Not that it matters now anyway.

#72 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

enjoyed our trip to hemel gutted at losing by a point though one of those games either side could of won we missed our drop goal attempt hemel scored theres, long way to travel alot of money spent though love my club always will support them always, i agree with a post on here that when we get that first win i believe we'll win many more in this league its a confidence thing we have the lead and throw it away we need the winning mentality, we need a couple of big props to go with what we have and we will be alot better we no we need bigger props to make the yards, i believe anyone can beat anyone in this league on there day, first game for us deafeat by 1 point so have a bonus point from first game at least we not bottom at the moment haha crusaders away next very tough game though they'll win the league easy in my opinion, only first game for us in the league crusdares next be tough though see how we do after the crusaders game, we had 2 players from kr in our team v hemel not the 5 we could have so 15 of the players were thunder players, onwards and upwards, come on thunder! come on thunder!!.

#73 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Always good to welcome the Thunder Army to Crusaders.  You'll be please to know we have been practicing our singing so we don't gt drowned out by two of you again!! I think Thunder may benefit from some player fatigue - North Wales Crusaders are playing 3 games in 8 days - Hull FC on Sunday 21st (Challenge Cup), Hemel Stags on Tuesday 23rd (Northern Rail Cup) and Gateshead Thunder on Sunday 28th (CH1). Thats a lot of battering for our boys to absorb!  However I do think we will retain our record of beating all (with the exception of Hull FC)

#74 MR51CUK

MR51CUK
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Gogledd why won't we beat Hull? Ha

#75 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Gateshead fans are few and far between but they are absolutely genuine quality. When my teams are not playing and Gateshead are anywhere "localish" I lend them my support. Always a great well in the Schooner as well. Big Kev and Jim must be two of the most recognised faces in RL! I hope their results pick up soon, after 28th April obviously!