• Coach
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Roy Powell

Chris Burton

Brett Daunt

And many more!!!

Roy Powell is a good call.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#82 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

Kevin Ward , what a player!
Roy powell , what a gent!
Gary Spencer, what a team member 100% committed full back
Andrew Ettinghausen, maybe slightly better than the guy above!

#83 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I used to have a thing for David Stephenson in the 70s think he ended up at Leeds.

#84 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

I used to have a thing for David Stephenson in the 70s think he ended up at Leeds.

Yes, ufortunately, everyone's career has to tail off in the end.

:)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#85 DaveGC

DaveGC
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

Terry Flanagan   Oldham

#86 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Steve 'Ticker' Turner at Hornets.

The Sinfield brothers - both ultra professional.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#87 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Trevor Skerrett, solid all round player and a Gent.

Indeed.

Hull played Wire at the Boulevard once and after the game one of Wire's forwards said that after he'd hit Skerrett with a particularly good tackle, Skerrett said "Well done" to him as he played the ball.  :blink:

What a nice chap.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#88 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

Paul (Barney) Eastwood - never let Hull or GB down and a modest kid too.
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#89 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Danny Wilson
Wayne English

#90 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Wayne English

Good call, been a consistently good performer for a long time in the lower leagues.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#91 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Danny Wilson
Wayne English

Yes - Wayne's a great player and a lovely bloke.

Looking forward to him tying Bradford in knots on Sunday.

"He's faster than Bolt, he comes from Kirkholt"

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#92 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

For my own team Oldham I have three. Mick Morgan. Fantastic ball playing prop of the old school. Once saw him pass the ball, the opposition and the crowd followed the line of the pass only for Mick to continue running through the defence BALL IN HAND. Pure magic.

John Cogger exciting no nonsense loose forward who never took a step backwards.

And of course tom Nadiole it is said he was fed raw liver before every match.

For the opposition Jonathan Davies quick off the mark and a fantastic professional.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 16 April 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#93 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,394 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

In the interests of not going for an international standard player , John Thursfield at Warrington.

I remember he played for us for a couple of years without getting any tries. He finally scored one against Bradford at Wilderspool from about 14cm out and the crowd erupted.

IIRC he was on the coaching staff for a while.

#94 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

I always liked Charlie Birdsall at Hornets, both as a player & a coach (and landlord of the Free Trade Tavern in Milnrow). Steve McGiffen was a great servant too.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#95 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

And of course tom Nadiole it is said he was fed raw liver before every match.

Very much into the twilight of his career, I played against Tom Nadiole when Kirkholt WMC 'A' played Paddock 'A' (at Huddersfield New College I think). It was freezng cold and he had a couple of runs "down the slope" before getting himself sent off to warm up in the changing rooms !

#96 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

2 players I remember enjoying watching on the TV were a part of the up-and-coming Warrington side that never quite fulfilled its promise: Jon Roper and Mark Hilton.

The former was quite compact, pretty quick and with a lethal sidestep - alas he was cursed by very serious injuries and seemed to fade away from the game; the latter was a lean, mean and fearless prop responsible for one of the greatest tackles I've ever seen - a pole-axing of the much bigger Scott Quinnell at Wilderspool that had the Welshman tottering about like Bambi on ice. Quite how and why he didn't become the cornerstone of the GB pack, I'm not quite sure?

#97 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Very much into the twilight of his career, I played against Tom Nadiole when Kirkholt WMC 'A' played Paddock 'A' (at Huddersfield New College I think). It was freezng cold and he had a couple of runs "down the slope" before getting himself sent off to warm up in the changing rooms !

A good player in his prime though.

oops - double post

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt, 16 April 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#98 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Phil Cantillon.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#99 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,164 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

Robbie McCormack. In a period where Wigan signed a few underwhelming players, he was an undeniable bargain. Shame he didn't stay long.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#100 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,394 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

2 players I remember enjoying watching on the TV were a part of the up-and-coming Warrington side that never quite fulfilled its promise: Jon Roper and Mark Hilton.

The former was quite compact, pretty quick and with a lethal sidestep - alas he was cursed by very serious injuries and seemed to fade away from the game; the latter was a lean, mean and fearless prop responsible for one of the greatest tackles I've ever seen - a pole-axing of the much bigger Scott Quinnell at Wilderspool that had the Welshman tottering about like Bambi on ice. Quite how and why he didn't become the cornerstone of the GB pack, I'm not quite sure?

I actually think that Hilton was very under-rated. The one thing with him though is that he was like a gentle giant, he didn't really have the mongrel in him. That said, he had a brilliant hit on him and put many players on his backside.

Roper became a favourite for criticism towards the back end of his Wire career, unfairly I thought, he was made a scapegoat many times. He did suffer with injuries and was often carrying a bit of weight which meant he was less effective than he should have been. Scored some blinding tries in his time though, but defensively slightly out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users