I work in a city where it's hard to succeed unless you're a narcissistic bully. I work in industries that add no good to human society, none, not a single bit. My professional life is dominated by having to navigate office politics to get even simple things done.
If I didn't have this list of things that keep me going then I'd probably pack my stuff and go live in the woods:
- My wife. She has been ill for a long time now but it's fantastic sharing quality time with her.
- My books. There's nothing better than an utterly silent house, a nice cup of tea and just spending hours reading.
- Rugby league. It's great, innit? Beyond a few minor irritations, I doubt if anyone could have designed a game that suits my sporting spectator needs more.
- Rugby union, below the professional levels. I get to see a different game every weekend now at National 3 level and it's almost a different sport in terms of quality and entertainment to the dross you see on telly.
- Computer games. Spending a few hours killing pixels is a great stress reliever.
- Holidays. Getting away from it all for even a few days for a mental recharge. Be it spending 3 weeks in a luxury foreign sunny place or a few days in a countryside log cabin in Britain somewhere, it all counts.
- Helping good people succeed. I get a gentle buzz when I beat the narcissistic bullies at their own game to help one of the good guys win.
- Doing my job well. Delivering what I promise, when I promise it and to an unquestioned quality.
- And finally, spending time on t'interweb, posting rubbish along with lots of other like minded rubbish-posters!