Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

No Helmets Required

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

"No Helmets Required", the story of the 1953 American All Stars Rugby League team's tour to Australia and New Zealand is now available to order from Amazon. I believe the book is published in May. I'm not sure what the ebook status is.

51JPb6Ipf2L._SL160_.jpg

rldfsignature.jpg

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

"No Helmets Required", the story of the 1953 American All Stars Rugby League team's tour to Australia and New Zealand is now available to order from Amazon. I believe the book is published in May. I'm not sure what the ebook status is.

51JPb6Ipf2L._SL160_.jpg

Excellent! I'll stick that on my shopping list. :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

I've been looking forward to this book coming out for a few years now. If the time it's taken to research and get the book to print is an indicator then it should be a good read.

rldfsignature.jpg

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

I have a copy of this on order - ETA next Monday. I'll report as soon as I've read it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

That title should be one of the T & C's for joining this forum.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

I have a copy of this on order - ETA next Monday. I'll report as soon as I've read it.

I've pre ordered it too but I won't hold my breath on it arriving on Monday. It was supposed to have come out at the start of May but has been postponed a couple of times now.

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

That title should be one of the T & C's for joining this forum.

I laughed a little :)

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

I've pre ordered it too but I won't hold my breath on it arriving on Monday. It was supposed to have come out at the start of May but has been postponed a couple of times now.

That nice Mr Amazon has just sent a runner with a cleft stick, containing a note informing me that my copy has been despatched. Woohoo! :)

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

It has arrived, so that's my weekend's reading sorted.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Interesting - an initial flick through the pages reveals an unusual visual presentation, with photos, posters, period adverts and press clippings on almost every page, with the text of the book wrapped around them.

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Read the lot on Saturday. What a story! They could make a film of the 1953 tour. Mike Dimitro was even more of a hustler than I'd imagined, the players were given a baptism of fire and a horrendous itinerary but Gavin Willacy has got as many survivors as possible to help tell the tale. It is funny, inspiring and ultimately frustrating, as chance after chance to get major movers and shakers involved in establishing RL in the USA was fumbled or spurned.

#12 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Mine arrived on Saturday but I'd just started another book. Looking forward to reading it after flicking through it especially the chapters on what transpired after the tour returned home.

rldfsignature.jpg

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Do any Parramatta or Leeds fans remember a big blond American player Al E.Kirkland? After the All Stars tour, he was signed first by the Eels (in 1956), but soon left because he really wanted to to play in England. Apparently, he was doing pretty well, but couldn't get a work visa and returned to the USA, which is a shame.

#14 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,733 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Read the lot on Saturday. What a story! They could make a film of the 1953 tour. Mike Dimitro was even more of a hustler than I'd imagined, the players were given a baptism of fire and a horrendous itinerary but Gavin Willacy has got as many survivors as possible to help tell the tale. It is funny, inspiring and ultimately frustrating, as chance after chance to get major movers and shakers involved in establishing RL in the USA was fumbled or spurned.

So far I've only been able to scan the book, but even doing that I can tell that this is an outstanding effort by Gavin Willacy, and should be a contender for the Sports Book of the Year award.

Fascinating to see that in the 1950s it looked possible at one time as though Richard Nixon might be involved with Rugby League in the USA.

Also that Pete Rozelle was drawn in when he was the PRO of the Los Angeles Rams.

Rozelle subsequently became the Commissioner of the NFL, and was, in my view, probably the greatest sports administrator the world has yet see seen, given the way he transformed the fortunes of gridiron in the USA.

What a missed opportunity it all was!

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

Fascinating to see that in the 1950s it looked possible at one time as though Richard Nixon might be involved with Rugby League in the USA.

Weird, isn't it? If you've read Hunter S.Thompson, you'll know that Nixon was an avid and very knowledgeable fan of American Football.

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Free sample pages from 'No Helmets required'.

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Just a reminder - this is now available for Kindle, as is Stanley Gene's book, which some people have had trouble finding in printed form.

#18 Budgie

Budgie
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Gavin is on radio 2 this evening around 6.45pm with a slot on Simon Mayo show about the book.

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for that Budgie.

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:47 PM