Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Lions will Roar again

Happy day!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

If there is another thread on this, sorry to have missed it. I was delighted to read that there may be a Lions Tour Down Under in 2015. With a full GB side, so there could be a couple of Welsh forwards in there, all being well.

Assuming that a number of good quality NRLers play for the Home Nations in the WC, would/should they then be available for the Lions?

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

there won't be any welsh,scots or irish that displaces a englishmen for a GB spot

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Good,

A Lions tour every 4 years is a great thing to add a bit more spice to the international calender.  It might also mean some players stick with their countries of birth - i.e. Evans brothers, knowing that they can play for the GB lions every 4 years.

I just hope that come 2015 some of the Welsh/Irish/Scots step up to the mark and get picked - at the moment it would be an all English side.

#4 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

there won't be any welsh,scots or irish that displaces a englishmen for a GB spot

Bit harsh and early to say whether someone like Gil Dudson might not be in the reckoning with another couple of years on their backs. Who would have picked Gareth Carvell at 21/2? It maybe be only one or two (or maybe not even any) in the first instance but if it was a regular four-year tour then it would be an incentive to a young welsh or scottish junior thinking of doing a Rhys Evans. 

Edited by Scubby, 11 April 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#5 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Bit harsh and early to say whether someone like Gil Dudson might not be in the reckoning with another couple of years on their backs. Who would have picked Gareth Carvell at 21/2? It maybe be only one or two (or maybe not even any) in the first instance but if it was a regular four-year tour then it would be an incentive to a young welsh or scottish junior thinking of doing a Rhys Evans. 

Completely agree - we can't write off some of these players who will have another 2.5 seasons under their belt by the time the Lions tour.

Might be worth stipulating a minimum of 2 players from each home nation in the squad of 25.  This then incentives the likes of Brough, McIllorum, Carvell, Evans, Dudson etc... to stay with their first country and still be in line for a GB Place.

Worst case scenario is you have a strong 19 for the test matches and the weaker 6 play a part in the in-between games (if there are any)

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

So where did you read this EW?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Really hope this is true as losing the GB side was one of the biggest cock ups by the RFL in recent years !!!!!

Posted Image

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

So where did you read this EW?

Sporting Life I think.

It was a better source than Nosey parker.

You'd have posted a link wouldn't you? You're cleverer than me like that.

It will be too late, but if Pat Richards was a few years younger, he could have been a useful back up winger.

For Evans and Dudson and Kopczak (sp?), it would be a good thing, giving them a tour and World Cup every other year.

#9 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

http://www.sportingl...n-on-the-agenda
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

So because there's a gap in the BBC coverage in 2015, people are assuming GB tour?

Rather than 2014 and 2016 4N being in northern hemisphere and at a time that is suitable for UK TV, but 2015 4N being down under and in the middle of the night over here

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#11 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

I think this thread should be titled "The Lions may Roar again"

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#12 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

I so hope it's true that the red white and blue jersey is coming back.

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Sporting Life I think.

It was a better source than Nosey parker.

You'd have posted a link wouldn't you? You're cleverer than me like that.

It will be too late, but if Pat Richards was a few years younger, he could have been a useful back up winger.

For Evans and Dudson and Kopczak (sp?), it would be a good thing, giving them a tour and World Cup every other year.

Ha! My question did seem a bit prissy didn't it?! I was only wondering.

But yes, I may have posted a link, and yes I am... :P

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

If recent history has taught us anything those gap years won't be for a Lions' Test series, but a European comp so the NRL darlings can have a lickle rest and ##### about not getting the Golden Boot.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

I think this thread should be titled "The Lions may Roar again"

I can't do links let alone edit topic names - is there a competition to illustrate my ludditeishness today? :rolleyes:

I thought Sporting Life was a pretty reliable source of info.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

I can't do links let alone edit topic names - is there a competition to illustrate my ludditeishness today? :rolleyes:

I thought Sporting Life was a pretty reliable source of info.

Haha! I can hear those tiny violins already!!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

I really hope they bring it back. Splitting into the home nations hasn't shown signs of making the benefits that they would want. When you consider that they have sacrificed the tradition of the GB team to do it, it's pretty sad.

Playing as GB was almost a uniquely RL thing. Of course you have Lions tours in Union but that's not the same because they don't play any home games and they are more of a novelty 4-yearly trip. I suspect this is what they are trying to recreate if they do bring it back.

It'll start as a tour but by the time the NRL clubs have had their say it'll be one-off games against Aus and NZ!

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

If recent history has taught us anything those gap years won't be for a Lions' Test series, but a European comp so the NRL darlings can have a lickle rest and ##### about not getting the Golden Boot.

Wouldn't the gap year be before world cup year, as happened this time?

As for a GB 'tour' I wonder if the idea is to play in PNG and NZ as well as Oz? With a warm up week, perhaps, it could be some length.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#19 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

I really hope they bring it back. Splitting into the home nations hasn't shown signs of making the benefits that they would want. When you consider that they have sacrificed the tradition of the GB team to do it, it's pretty sad.

Playing as GB was almost a uniquely RL thing. Of course you have Lions tours in Union but that's not the same because they don't play any home games and they are more of a novelty 4-yearly trip. I suspect this is what they are trying to recreate if they do bring it back.

It'll start as a tour but by the time the NRL clubs have had their say it'll be one-off games against Aus and NZ!

Isn't the idea for GB RL to tour once every four years? I don't think the intention is to replace the England team.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Wouldn't the gap year be before world cup year, as happened this time?

Who knows with those tarts... :D

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users