Tetleys Challenge Cup Rd4

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

York City Knights’ Tetley’s Challenge Cup fourth round tie at home to French big-guns Toulouse has been confirmed for Sunday April 21, with a 3pm kick-off.

Posted Image

#2 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Best news I've had today Gav

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Best news I've had today Gav

I aim to please! 

Posted Image

#4 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

i should think so too
sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#5 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Shame we havn't followd Hunslets lead and cut the prices with an aim to get more fans through the turnstiles as Toulouse won't bring many.

#6 jiggyknight

jiggyknight
  • Coach
  • 654 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Totally agree shadow think its the £14 that's keeping a lot away £10 would have been better get a few more in.

#7 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

4 quid doesn't keep people away - not knowing about the game keeps people away.
What say we all make an effort next week to ask at least one person who doesn't usually come if they would like to go with us?
Tell them its a special match, that we're only a few games from the final of the greatest competition in the greatest game and try to get them excited for that sunday afternoon.

Tell them that for less than 15 quid they can have a few hours entertainment that they might well remember for the rest of their lives - then give them one of your own Challenge cup memories. 40 mins of we're york and proud at Saints might do it.

#8 ashbourneknight

ashbourneknight
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

I would like to think that I'm a supporter of York City Knights and the old York Wasps, and now enjoy the concessions of price reductions that being of the age to get them, for me £10.00 is the maximum I would pay to watch a game of Rugby or Football because I'm a strong believer that every person as a price that they would go to, the country is supposed to financially down on it's knee's,well the football terraces seem to be doing ok,and Ican't see any reductions in thier prices,for me I don't go to football matches simple reason over priced,over payed and now over run by outside interest,there are very many alternatives for famlies these days to spend thier time together, so you have got to organise a better way of getting people to come for longer periods of time and not just for the 80mins of game time,hope the community stadium organisers take on board what the paying public are prepared to pay and give them a chance to put some input into other ways of making it a financial success.

#9 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

If we reduced the price to £10, would be get another 200 through the gate? I doubt it very much.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#10 SuperYork

SuperYork
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

If we reduced the price to £10, would be get another 200 through the gate? I doubt it very much.

Only 1 way you find out...Do it! Need to experiment ideas or we will never know.

#11 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Only 1 way you find out...Do it! Need to experiment ideas or we will never know.

Can we afford to lose £2k on a match which is a shared gate anyway?

Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#12 SuperYork

SuperYork
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Well we don't want to lose money, but we need ideas to get the fans back and need to experiment these ideas.

#13 ashbourneknight

ashbourneknight
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Having been in business since 1983 I know nobody likes to loose any revenue,but you cut your cloth accordingly you learn to know what people want by asking about how much they are prepared to pay,if you pitch your prices to high you'll find a lot of people will spend elsewhere so a happy medium need be found,you won't catch peoples interest if they don't see some financial benefit, I would draw attention to how York Racourse markets there season I've just received thier program for 2013 special offers and discounts and thier entertainment venues,yes I know they are a massive organised top sporting concern but they have to keep up with what people want while there,thier investment runs into millions so giving value for money keeps them top of thier game. 

#14 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

It's £15 to get into the races unless you're happy to not see anything, then it's a fiver. Also bear in mind the bookies & trainers pay to be there and the amount of bars etc so using the racecourse as an example of why we should reduce prices isn't really fair. Best way of giving a rugby supporter value for money is to win games, not make the games cheaper to enter. £14 is more than fair if you look at the other prices across the division, in fact we're one of the only clubs not to put prices up this season.

If we did a "pay what you want" day, we'd probably get anther 100 or so fans who'd pay a quid and never come back. A couple of years ago we offered free entry and got 3000 for a televised game against Oldham, the game was brilliant and everyone will have enjoyed themselves, the week after we got about 600 paying people. Everything isn't about actual cost, it's about value for money, give your product away cheaply and people see it as cheap, offer a good product at a fair price and you'll do alright. We just need to win games and be more consistent, then the crowds will come back.

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#15 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Bearing in mind it's a game we very nearly weren't going to be in, then any money made is a bonus. Sometimes you have to see the bigger picture, if we get an extra 30 paying adults to come back and support a winning team, thats an extra £420 per home game, which will more than cover the £2k "loss" on this game.

#16 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Bearing in mind it's a game we very nearly weren't going to be in, then any money made is a bonus.

What about any losses made? Are they a bonus too? ;)

Posted Image

#17 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

We can argue all we want, but the bottom line is less people are watching the Knights and we have to try and get them back.

#18 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

What about any losses made? Are they a bonus too? ;)

As I said, you've sometimes got to look at the bigger picture, we ain't going to win the CC so this game could be used to try and attract new/old supporters at a reduced price of £10, call it a "loss leader".

#19 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

As I said, you've sometimes got to look at the bigger picture, we ain't going to win the CC so this game could be used to try and attract new/old supporters at a reduced price of £10, call it a "loss leader".

We still have to pay the players to play though, plus other costs such as physio, security etc and last time we did a game as a "loss leader" we got 3000 people, 2400 of which didn't come back the week after, even though it was a cracker of a game and we won to go 2nd in the table.

How about the club reduce the price and any shortfall gets covered by next years playing fund, 'cos that's what will happen.

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#20 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Loss leaders are fine and great, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. As it stands this game could well already be a loss leader and the club can't afford to throw much more potential income away.

I understand the point you guys are trying to make though and we are trying all we can in various different ways, but we have to be careful not to get us in trouble.

If we beat Dewsbury and Toulouse (and Hunslet away!) I guarantee you our next home attendance v Leigh on 5th May will be the biggest of the season so far.

(Ironically I'll miss the Leigh game thanks to my upcoming nuptuals!)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users