World Cup volunteers

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Also enjoyed being at The Hive. What is exciting is that a number of the volunteers have not been to a Rugby League game before but want to play their part in a major event. I met one Gamesmaker originally from Singapore who this autumn is a volunteer for Triathlon, Badminton and the World Cup! There is also an American lady more used to gridiron but she is happy to give it a go. In fact in my sub group there were more people present who did not support a club side than those who were fans!
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#42 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Also enjoyed being at The Hive. What is exciting is that a number of the volunteers have not been to a Rugby League game before but want to play their part in a major event. I met one Gamesmaker originally from Singapore who this autumn is a volunteer for Triathlon, Badminton and the World Cup! There is also an American lady more used to gridiron but she is happy to give it a go. In fact in my sub group there were more people present who did not support a club side than those who were fans!

It's brilliant

On my table there was a Portuguese girl who had studied in Sheffield so knew about Rugby League - she'd heard about the world cup so volunteered!

Outstanding
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,440 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Good stuff this folks, please keep us updated!

#44 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Apparently 68% of people who have bought tickets for Wembley have never attended the Challenge Cup Final.

They're expecting it to sell out and about 60,000 for Cardiff are expected
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#45 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

I've got my training day in a couple of weeks in Cardiff. Know I'm doing Team Liason for the Cook Islands (they're based in Bristol) but not much idea yet exactly what I'm expected to do (dealing with the press, setting up interviews and features, that kind of thing, I think - I/m expecting more info from the communications team at some point soon). Haven't had shifts assigned, but I think it's not that kind of role. I'm assuming I'll be at all the Cook Islands' games, and with them at media events during the week. Quite excited by it - have done PR and media relations a fair bit before, including for the Eagles, but to be involved in a global sporting tournament tops all that. Exciting times :)

Matt Gerremonside was keeping me updated about the official "Team 13" stash yesterday - horrific dayglo green polo, blue hoodie and rain jacket, beanie hat, various other odds and ends. Spectators certainly won't miss "Team 13" - we'll be highly visible. Which is good.

There seems to be quite a few other RL enthusiasts from the South West/West of England involved as volunteers. It would be nice to have all of the region's amateur clubs represented (I know for definite there are people from the Sonics, Gloucestershire Warriors and Swindon St George in 'Team 13').
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#46 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

Apparently 68% of people who have bought tickets for Wembley have never attended the Challenge Cup Final.

They're expecting it to sell out and about 60,000 for Cardiff are expected

I'd give the other 15,000 for Cardiff away if they haven't gone a couple of days before the game. Good news though...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#47 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

So how are the volunteers on TRL finding the experience?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#48 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

So how are the volunteers on TRL finding the experience?

Excellent - great to be part of this wonderful event

Posted Image

#49 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Excellent - great to be part of this wonderful event

It's great being able to help out with the tournament and help make it a huge success. I've met lots of other volunteers (and quite a few a number of times now, as we're all doing the same games in this neck of the woods) and they're a really mixed bunch. All very enthusiastic. Good to see that many of the media volunteers are either journalism students, recent graduates or people with an interest in working in this area. Not all I should add, but it will be a great experience for them.

The World Cup organising team are doing a great job, too, and it can't be easy criss-crossing the country every day to go to the next match. I bet by December 1st they'll all be knackered. They deserve a huge amount of credit, I think. So far it's been the best organised and most vibrant World Cup I can remember.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#50 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

If there are any volunteer on here - well done guys

Every one I've met has been brilliant

Last night our tickets had been changed for some reason, the volunteer took charge, showed up where to go and all went smoothly.

We then had to leave two tickets for collection for two people late. The volunteer recognised us, took the envelope and said he would personally sort it.

Late people got in five after kick off no problem

Whoever you were, thank you, it could have turned out badly but didn't.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#51 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

It has been a fantastic experience so far, worked with lots of great people and is a fascinating insight into just how much is involved in organising a major event. I wan to give a special shout out to the van drivers, they have to be the first to arrive and the last to leave as they cannot go till all the stuff is loaded and then they will be driving into the wee hours. Half of the people I have worked with in the social media team have never covered a rugby league game before but have found it to be worthwhile.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#52 Walter

Walter
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

My eldest daughter is a volunteer and she is loving it

They really are doing a great job and helping towards this being such a great event

#53 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

My daughter is a young volunteer and has been given 'protocol' at the final - any idea what that is as we haven't a clue!

(The young vol's don't have training before hand, they went to a team building session and then the job's where given out after that)

#54 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Well I worked with the VIPs at Cardiff and had a great time.  Meeting lots of RL VIPs and some friends of mine who I hadn't seen for a long time.  It was tiring but so worth it.  Can't wait for my next shift on Monday at Craven Park, then Headingley on Friday with a number of other games I'm just going to watch. :-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users