Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

premier sports freeview

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,512 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

I enjoyed the SWS v NWC game.

You didn't find it a tiny bit.....predictable?

Awful effort from PR they have to improve it that respect. What they offer to RL fans is brilliant, but if they can't deliver.........

A Fev Blog

#42 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

I will subscribe to premier sports the minute promotion and relegation to SL is announced.

I can cope without HD but not meaningless games. P&R will bring a whole new dimension to games on premier. Remember that prem sports did not have RL before it was ditched

Do most pubs have premier sports btw?

You can't cope without meaningless games? Get a grip or a Bengal Lancer ;)

Edited by Manx RL, 12 April 2013 - 11:01 AM.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#43 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Anyone subscribing to Premier on the basis of the free to air live game tonight?

Na me neither.

250 games this season. Your loss.

Posted Image

#44 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

I still love Sky - I like the fact that they are always at the forefront of technology - they brought us games in HD and 3D first. They delivered the video ref via big screens first (remember the BBC red and green light thingy?). They give us a hell of a lot of coverage throughout the year, including adverts in prime time shows on their biggest channels (Sky 1 and Movies as well as sports and Sky News), coverage on SSN, and generally treat us like a serious sport - let's not forget how the BBC used to treat us, and still do in certain respects.

That said, Premier is excellent coverage, and in the past we have talked about things like a RL channel - if they did grow to the point where they could pay large fees for SL then we could truly have a RL channel in all but name.

What shouldn't be sniffed at though is that the amount of coverage on TV (Terrestrial and Pay) is astounding these days.

We have:

2 SL games per week

1 Championship game per week

8 NRL games per week

Approx 8-10 Challenge Cup games a year

Live State of Origin

Live Anzac Test

Full international coverage (28 live games in this years WC)

Weekly Tries Show

Weekly SL Chat show

Weekly magazine show
Weekly Superstars show (really enjoyed the Ben Westwood one last night btw)

Weekly BBC magazine show

Personally I'm delighted that we have 3 broadcasters that want to show our game, and in general treat it with respect.

Absolutely spot on!

Posted Image

#45 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

The music industry (my other passion of many years) has had a massive hit for the last ten years and has changed beyond all recognition. New act/writers are not there in the same quality or quantity anymore as it's an almost impossible ask for new acts to make any money as it's now all available for free over the internet.

Now, subscription TV. Streaming is getting better all the time and is widely available on the internet which means that anyone could, if they were so inclined, get all that rugby for FREE!!

Do you see a time in the not so distant future that people who now subscribe to tv sports packages may opt for the free option?? How long before this impacts on the sponsorship of the game?

The music industry weren't really prepared for the catastrophic effects of piracy/P2P file sharing. The telly industry is only a technology glitch from going thesame way. This I would imagine would be the end of big wages across every sport!

Just musing... nowt more than that!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#46 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

It's a good and pertinent muse though Robin.

rldfsignature.jpg

#47 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

I still love Sky - I like the fact that they are always at the forefront of technology - they brought us games in HD and 3D first. They delivered the video ref via big screens first (remember the BBC red and green light thingy?). They give us a hell of a lot of coverage throughout the year, including adverts in prime time shows on their biggest channels (Sky 1 and Movies as well as sports and Sky News), coverage on SSN, and generally treat us like a serious sport - let's not forget how the BBC used to treat us, and still do in certain respects.

That said, Premier is excellent coverage, and in the past we have talked about things like a RL channel - if they did grow to the point where they could pay large fees for SL then we could truly have a RL channel in all but name.

What shouldn't be sniffed at though is that the amount of coverage on TV (Terrestrial and Pay) is astounding these days.

We have:

2 SL games per week

1 Championship game per week

8 NRL games per week

Approx 8-10 Challenge Cup games a year

Live State of Origin

Live Anzac Test

Full international coverage (28 live games in this years WC)

Weekly Tries Show

Weekly SL Chat show

Weekly magazine show
Weekly Superstars show (really enjoyed the Ben Westwood one last night btw)

Weekly BBC magazine show

Personally I'm delighted that we have 3 broadcasters that want to show our game, and in general treat it with respect.

If I could get a TV channel like that, I'd be first in line. That's a great RL channel by the looks of it and I have seen premier sports (somehow  :D ) and I like it a lot.

Can anyone tell me why we have these channels where you need to pay to get them, I know it's money, but what would it cost, or what do you have to do to be one of the channels that comes with the plain package?

When I had Pay TV, I got the main sports channels with the NRL and everything else on the basic contract, what's it take to become one of these channels?

#48 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,512 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

It's a good and pertinent muse though Robin.

Yes, Robin often gets called a pertinent muse. At least I think that's what they shout at him.....

A Fev Blog

#49 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yes, Robin often gets called a pertinent muse. At least I think that's what they shout at him.....

:lol: :lol: cheeky!!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#50 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Then that's your loss! We have a channel that shows 9 RL games every week and are planning to increase that output by showing classic NRL Finals and State of Origin games and you won't subscribe because a driver got lost on the way to Donny.

How many times has it happened with Sky? A driver getting lost is not really professional is it? Can you then trust them with your payment details?
Fact is it was supposed to be an advert for their championship coverage and nobody will subscribe on the basis of last night.

#51 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

souths game no longer freeview.

cant show more than three hours free in one day, (showing the delayed donny/fev game)

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#52 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

souths game no longer freeview.

cant show more than three hours free in one day, (showing the delayed donny/fev game)

I checked this morning and the rerun of Souths v Storm is freeview on Mon afternoon I think.

rldfsignature.jpg

#53 St Domingos

St Domingos
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

How many times has it happened with Sky? A driver getting lost is not really professional is it? Can you then trust them with your payment details?
Fact is it was supposed to be an advert for their championship coverage and nobody will subscribe on the basis of last night.

Televideo is one of the UK's largest and longest established independent outside broadcast companies.

We are one of the country’s leading suppliers of sports programming, producing hundreds of hours of original programming each year for broadcasters including the BBC, Channel 4, Sky Sports and Premier Sports.

.......................................................................................................................................................

So you are saying Premier sport are to blame for a major tv supply companies failure?

I still remember when we were all amateurs, working together for the good of the game - for no pay!!!

#54 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Fuming it's not free view now I'm off back to bed!!!

#55 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

co-sign.. set it to record and all i've got is blue screen!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#56 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Televideo is one of the UK's largest and longest established independent outside broadcast companies.

We are one of the country’s leading suppliers of sports programming, producing hundreds of hours of original programming each year for broadcasters including the BBC, Channel 4, Sky Sports and Premier Sports.

.......................................................................................................................................................

So you are saying Premier sport are to blame for a major tv supply companies failure?

surely as the prime contractor, Premier have to take responsibility for not fulfilling their published commitment. The fact that they may have been let down by one of their contractors means that at least they should have had at least some sort of contingency plan and/or a non-performance penalty or bond (at least from now on)

#57 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,512 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

surely as the prime contractor, Premier have to take responsibility for not fulfilling their published commitment. The fact that they may have been let down by one of their contractors means that at least they should have had at least some sort of contingency plan and/or a non-performance penalty or bond (at least from now on)

This.

A Fev Blog

#58 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

surely as the prime contractor, Premier have to take responsibility for not fulfilling their published commitment. The fact that they may have been let down by one of their contractors means that at least they should have had at least some sort of contingency plan and/or a non-performance penalty or bond (at least from now on)

How do you know they don't have a non performance penalty or bond.

#59 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

i don't. Though in fact  we don't know what went wrong..we only think we do. We do know, though that Premier Sport claimed  " circumstances beyond our control." 

I realise that this is hardly the greatest challenge facing mankind but if I am thinking of subscribing, reliability is something that interests me

#60 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

They seem very fluid with their scheduling but I think situations like this morning does them harm. I used to be a subscriber until I moved house and I was very much looking forward to it. To pull it from freeview does leave a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth, which would never have happened had they not made it free in the first place!

As it is it's ended up being a cracking game, the sort that might have convinced me to get Premier Sports. Instead I'm watching it on Bet365.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 13 April 2013 - 10:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users