Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Swinton Prediction?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Green Brigade

Green Brigade
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

How come Moore knows hes playing early afternoon when team isn't told till friday evening at training. This D/R will ruin a lot of teams, all championship teams built their squad for the start of the season and were good enough to sign for 2013, so why have D/R ?. I can't see players being happy losing out to D/R players who are already getting paid. Ask yourself this, if you was at work and was told your not working this week, we've got someone else to do your job and your not getting any wages this week, and it could be the same next week and the week after that and so on. I'm sure you would be very pleased with that, no money to pay bills etc.
What happens next season if D/R is altered or kicked into touch, and they need their squad players again? Theres only one winner in this and thats the super league clubs.

Absolutely spot on mate.

#42 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Did the players & coaches turn up to today's game thinking it would be a easy game without putting any effort in because it was only swinton? Because that's how they appeared in the first half.

Eaton has been in charge for one & half seasons and we are still waiting for a victory against an established championship team. The wait goes on!

#43 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

So, where on earth do we start tonight after that ?

Well, there was no shortage of generosity in defence, we were so generous in the first 40 that Swinton felt it necessary to reciprocate in the second 40!

But there were many flaws in what we saw today above and beyond defence (or lack of it). Team selection and use of substitutes urgently needs looking at; the half-backs just aren't doing the business at the minute for some reason; the kicking game, well, I think the euphemism is "needs some work".

To be fair, in contrast to all that half-hearted defence, there was plenty of decent passing and support done by both sides ... the net result being that practically every time either team got the ball in the second half, they scored.

Which ever way you look at it tonight, we're in a relegation battle again this year.

#44 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

No mate it was lost in the amber and red zone

Let's hope we're not playing in the Twilight Zone this time next year ... <_<

#45 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

God knows what the score would have been without the dual reg players

Edited by sgt pepper, 14 April 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#46 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

God knows what the score would have been without the dual reg players

given that it was gaz o'brien & williams that were causing us all the problems in the first half, i'd say fairly low

#47 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

I meant our dual reg players

#48 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

dual reg is a joke and will kill the game outside of super league.Hunslet have a bad habit of starting matches bad and then having to chase the game.Eaton as shown nothing at this club to make me believe he is a good coach,infact just the opposite.He needs to look at himself before its too late for this club cos i am getting bored of the same things every week.

#49 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

First of all congratulations to Swinton on scoring some good tries and playing some great free flowing rugby in the 1st half, however we were once again our own worst enemies .We had the ball and were penelised in our own 25 gifting Swinton a set of 6 for the 1st try and then kicked out on the full on the restart to get Swinton back downfield for the 2nd, before we knew where we were it was 16-0 , enter Richard Moore and suddenly we got back in the game at 16-6.With half time looming the old failing of gifting tries away before the interval was once again evident and Swinton not only got 1 but right on the hooter another making 28-6 a mountain to climb.Not only had our defence been abysmal but our on field kicking on the 6th tackle was to put it mildly shocking.

The 2nd half was a reversal of the 1st,Moore and Hood ripped them apart at times and even the goalkicking was good but that dreadful opening period and the half time try just gave us too much to do. 

Posted Image

#50 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Come to the meeting on wednesday and tell barry to his fase

#51 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

"fase"
sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#52 hunsletben

hunsletben
  • Players
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

how come moore and hood didnt start, surely you start with your strongest line up. Thought Marchy was non existant today and grimmer very quiet, at least we got a bonus point

#53 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

grimmer has been poor most of the season

#54 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Come to the meeting on wednesday and tell barry to his fase

if he needs telling then we really have got problems

#55 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Ironic really, given the number of Dual Reg "Super League trained" players out there yesterday, the quality of the defence that was on show.

As for Eaton, I said on here after the Keighley defeat and the issues it threw up, that we needed (i) to see off Oldham in the Cup and (ii) 7 points from the next 3 league games - Swinton, York and Workington. A squad of our quality should have no problems achieving those targets if well selected, coached and motivated. 

We are still on target - just. But hands up who feels confident about the York game and the trip to Cumbria yielding the other six points ??? 

#56 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't think it's panic stations just yet and I certainly don't think we should be calling for the coaches head!!!! There are 5 points between bottom and 6th place and a long long way to go yet. I think the pack is good but we have no one to direct play we need more direction and spark in the halves.

#57 HunsletJosh6

HunsletJosh6
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Couldn't be at the game yesterday but unless Swinton scored all of their try's from inside our half, clearly conceding 44 points we failed to get on the front foot all game. That is not a reflection of the player's that make up this squad's ability. So, why in the last 4 league fixtures havent we performed to our potential?

A pack that consists of Moore, Haley, Yates, Menzies, Haughey, March, Oakes and Houston should be able to compete against most sides in the division.

Posted Image

#58 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Remember Eaton has 3 assistant coaches working with him. I take that these are paid so do HIST feel comfortable in paying them ?--- we have the lads running HIST working their ***** off  to keep the club going. The only way we will increase support is out on the playing field-- but regular supporters are ashamed to see us ship so many tries in the early stages of a game eg Doncaster, Keighley and now Swinton..

On paper the 17 we fielded on Sunday should have been able to beat any team in our Division.-- I note others have mentione the below par performances of two of our better players MARCH and GRIMSHAW --at present it looks as if grimmers brain is faster than his legs--ie he sees the gaps but isn't fast enough to go through them.

Looking forward to Sunday, I note the Catalans scored over 40 at St Helens, so anything less than 100 will be an achievement by us.

Edited by FRISKY FILLY, 15 April 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#59 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Well is the HIST AGM Wednesday at 7:30, for an 8:00pm start in the Phoenix Suite, so come along and voice your concerns to the board and Barry.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#60 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Sorry I wont be there., but I think they should know our concerns by now.